Hidden talents - show us yours!

When I made the thread about changing careers, my intention was really just to share an important moment in my life with the community, and get some insight from people who made a similar jump.

But then, the revelation that @amangons can, among his many talents, sing and play instruments, and that our lovely admin @AnkerOfficial was once a TV producer, I thought it would be fun to get to know some other hidden talents!

Here’s mine: I can draw relatively well - or I used to, anyway, it’s been years since I drew anything. Check out some of my drawings:

This is a rough draft of a character for a comic book I illustrated when in high school:

__

One of my favourite superhero characters, and my first time inking one of my drawings:

__

Bored in class before the class begins, I used to draw on the book’s inside cover. This is one of those. I like the flow I got in the hair with just a few lines:

__

This was for an entry to a contest in a comic books magazine named Wizard, who asked readers to draw a mascot:

__

Experimenting with styles while drawing from photos:

__

One of my few “comissions”, so to speak - I never charged, didn’t thought I was good enough for that. This was a friend’s aunt:

__

This one need’s no introduction. The hair is a mess - I got lazy after spending too much time in the mouth…

__

One of my favourite drawings, the Bat again. I particularly like the inking and the shadow/light play I managed on the cape:

__

Psyloke, from the X-Men. I did it for a cousin:

__

Spawn, I got really into the character back in the 90s:

__

The supes with his eternal bride:

__

The Superboy from after the death of Superman. I messed the S symbol really bad. Plus, since the pencil I used wasn’t the best one, I couldn’t get a good scan:

__

Supes again, in the style of the great Alex Ross. I recently reread Kingdom Come, what a great graphic novel it is!

__

Yes, yes, he again. This one I inked using only brushes - no pens. Today I don’t like the ears that much. A friend - who is a professional comic books artist today - is a big fan of this drawing, which makes me very proud. The guy’s the real deal, check his work on his Twitter, Instagram and his webpage.

__

Another before-class drawing on the back of textbooks. This one took me a while to shade, but I still like it. Again, not the right pencil, thus not a good scan:

__

This is… me! A kind of self-portrait - I actually drew it at 14, from a picture of myself at 8 hanging on my grandma’s home

__

Caitlin Fairchild from the Gen13 comics. There’s an interesting story behind this one. After inking, I decided to experiment with coloring, and messed up big time. A talented friend - obviously way more talented than me - asked if she could try to save it, which I obliged. To say she “saved it” doesn’t even begin to cover the amazing work she done. And she did it with regular coloring pencils, too!

__

Another one of my favourite comics character, Morpheus. Here in an inking he doesn’t deserves. I almost threw this out on several occasions, the inking is so bad. The shading on the leg is the only part that has some value…

__

When I discovered the exciting world of digital colouring! I had no idea how to work layers and effect then, so I manually and painfully selected each area to colour, including the hair/background combo with pixel-by-pixel selections at times.

__

The scan doesn’t show - why didn’t I just get good pencils, right? - but this drawing only uses vertical and horizontal lines. I’m not sure what I was going for when I started, but here it is.

__

Supes again, back at the time when I was into inking everything:

__

Another one with an interesting story behind. My younger sister had a poodle - annoying little thing. One day, it was just standing very still looking at me like a inanimate ornament. I was in front of the fridge, where we had one of those message pads. I took the marker and drew it in a couple of seconds, while holding the glass of water I had just taken from the fridge on the other hand. I couldn’t believe how well it turned out. I ended up carefully putting plastic film over it and scanning.

Here you have it, some exemples of my hidden talent. Now, you know the deal: I showed you mine, you show me/us yours! What’s your hidden talent?

14 Likes

Oh damn you’re so good at drawing

1 Like

Those Batman drawings are pretty awesome!

1 Like

Wow! Those are great! I especially love the self portrait. I wish I can draw. :slight_smile: Thank you for sharing them with us.

1 Like

Wow :open_mouth: awesome drawings @tiagomota :thumbsup:

1 Like

I remember never been good at drawing, or writing come to that!

When I went to school, you weren’t allowed to be left handed, and would get, not only told off if caught using your left hand, but also the ruler (a wooden ruler edge would be smacked on your wrist if teacher caught you).

It wasn’t until I changed school at 11, that I was free to use my left hand, but the damage had been done… As I’d never been taught to write in my natural hand, I found writing n drawing very hard.

@tiagomota
It’s nice to see someone enjoy drawing and is good at it. Well done.

1 Like

Awesome pictures!

2 Likes

Your drawings are first class indeed. :grin:

2 Likes

Man, I feel for you. It’s incredible, and worrisome, how this is still happening to this day…

Here’s something for you:

4 Likes

I like your drawings, they are very good! unfortunately I don´t know how to draw but I admire your great ability. :blush:

2 Likes

When I was a pupil, I liked to draw, same as you.
Not now anymore. :disappointed:

But may be I find such a “work” of mine in the basement.
( I will take a photo, though I will no be detected as a hidden talent :grin: )

But I think these weren’t such well made as yours, as far I remember.

2 Likes

I can somewhat draw, but it’s decent.

2 Likes

These are amazing. From an early age I knew I couldn’t draw anything basic without it looking like i did it blindfolded hahaha

Really good fella.

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words!

But I really meant it when I asked about your hidden talents. Come on, people! There’s surely some great cooks among us. Maybe someone who does amazing patch work. Woodwork?

I can’t believe there’s not a single tap dancer in the community! :grin:

1 Like

You’re quite the artist, @tiagomota!

I’m sure many people here can play an instrument, but my hidden talent would be that I can play piano! Although, I haven’t played in recent years, so maybe that talent is gone… :confounded:

1 Like

Dont hurry “meu amigo Tiago”.
I will show my hidden talent ASAP.
Have to find my “obras” in the basement…

2 Likes

NEVER!
Its like to ride a bike.
You need some exercise (Cerny …hehehe) and you will be perfect again.
I was playing piano as well, but my old piano is now a ruin in the basement.
May be I will activate my drums again, as children are out of the house, so there is noch chance for them to create a " !"$§$"§$& ".
So may be I will! :joy:

“In a ga dadda vida” (old Ron Bushy) :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Wow those are amazing :muscle:t2::clap:t2:

Is being able to reach things from top shelves a talent??

2 Likes

Well I am curious if anyone shows drawings as good as yours ! To show better ones will be kind of difficult.

So my talent is just model building, I showed you the ship I made. And the talent is also: fixing - repairing - some stuff. But there are no pictures, sorry.

If you want to hear me singing,(but only then !) click here

If you like it, leave a comment !

1 Like