Charge speed of Anker PowerIQ vs USB Power Delivery on iPhone

Weird, I see a lot of comparison of Anker Power IQ vs Quacomm QC… and also USB Power Delivery vs Qualcomm QC… but have not been able to find any real world comparison of Anker PowerIQ vs USB Power Delivery on iPhone.

On Android phones there seems to be very little to no difference between Anker PowerIQ vs USB Power Delivery since most phones are limited to 18W (Anker Power IQ max)… but have not found any real world testing. From Anker’s literature it would seem, like on Android there would be little difference, but no one seems to test this… not sure why.

Anyone have any experience with this…?

Power delivery is a bit faster up to 50% on an iPhone. Power IQ maxes out at 12 watts on iPhone while power delivery maxes out at 18 watts.

Here’s the thing, it doesn’t matter what phone it is, what matters is the specs on the battery. You can get an educated guess based on the comparisons you can find :grin:.

Good luck!

Handsets vary so much now, with some of Huawei so high, thru have to have specific chargers n cables, whter wall/desktops chargers, or.power banks. A few others are similar.

Sony has a different requirement to Samsung, both have smart charge on top of fast charge. Sony have their turbo charge, plus regular fast charge!

The power delivery is about how fast it can go (I think) and the iq/qi telling the charger the max required by the handset…

The @professor can tell you a lot more clearly (or technically)

I think power iq maxes out at 12 watts on Android as well

Thanks for all the replies guys… PowerIQ 1.0 maxes out at 12W… PowerIQ 2.0 maxes out at 18W

Did a little experiment… really wanted to see if I really needed to by a USB-C to lighting to get fast charging and it seems like you don’t… it kinda seems like it’s more about what the phone can do + max wattage of charger and if it has a mode (Volts and Amp) that matches up to phone…

I tested a RavPower with 18W 5V/3A “QC” USB Type A Port (don’t think this is Qualcomm QC) Beats USB-A to lightning cable… and performed pretty much like description of USB-C PD charge speeds… haven’t actually tried… could be marginally faster with USB-C PD, but really seems like there is nothing particularly magical about USB-C and/or PD… no need necessarily to buy a USB-C to lighting cable like everyone says… ymmv…

iPhone 8 Pus
dead to 50% - 29min
60% - 36min
70% - 43min
75% - 46min
80% - 53min
90% - 1:10
100% - 1:50

REALLY slows down at end…

1 Like

Yes. After the phone reaches 80% charge, the charging speed slows to protect the battery.

Technically this is true but some Anker Chargers with power IQ 2.0 output 19.5W to overcome resistance in the charging cable and others output 18W.

18W PIQ 2.0
19.5W PIQ2.1🤔

There are a lot of fast charging standards out there, as you’re seeing. Most phones only support one officially, but by its nature could work with others. How much your charger’s output is doesn’t matter so much as it supporting a compatible fast charging standard.

Anker PowerIQ (aka PowerIQ 1.0) has a max output of 12W. It was made with the old Apple 2.4A standard in mind. It’ll fast charge iPhone 4 through today’s models. But newer iPhones can charge a bit faster using USB Power Delivery.

Anker PowerIQ 2.0 mimics Quick Charge 3.0, supporting the same power profiles. As such it fast charges Samsung phones. As well as Android phones that support Quick Charge. It also tends to support the old Apple 2.4A, so it can fast charge iPhones with their older standard.

Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 is connected to Qualcomm’s mobile processor chips. As such only Android phones will support the standard. Samsung and Motorola use their own standard which mimics QC, so they tend to be compatible. iPhone will never use QC, as Apple won’t give up making their own processor.

USB Power Delivery is an open standard that works through USB-C connections. It ranges from 15-100W. Though most phones hang out around 18W. iPhone 8 and newer models support PD. As do Google Pixels. It is uncommon on Android phones in general, due to Qualcomm’s grip on the device makers. PowerIQ 2.0 is completely incompatible with PD.

Fast charging in general works from 0-50%, then drops off. By 70% it stops altogether, with normal charge rates taking over. The point is to get your phone some power (~50%) in as short an amount of time as possible (under an hour). Doing so produces heat, which over long term can impact battery life. So fast charging cuts off between 50-70% (depending on phone model) to save the battery’s lifespan.

I have further reading available if you like:

USB Fast Charging Standards

Fast Charging USB-C Android Phones

Fast Charging iPhones with USB-C

1 Like

Thank you…

1. So just to be clear… you are saying that PowerIQ 2.0 will not support 5V/3A necessary to fast charge, fast charge compatible iPhone?

2. have a bit of a mystery with that “QC” labelled, USB-A, port the RAVPOWER… does appear to fast charge my iPhone 8 Plus with a 0-50% in 29mins… other of their charges do have Qualcomm logo… this one doesn’t… I’ve posted a question to them what protocol this port supports… waiting on baited breath for their response :grinning:

FYI…

So they have gotten back to me and the port is Qualcomm QC 3.0… so somehow a Qualcomm QC 3.0 port is fast charging a iPhone that doesn’t support Qualcomm QC 3.0 :crazy_face:

I’ve sent a follow up asking how this is can be so… if Qualcomm QC 3.0 has some kind of fallback mode that can still fast charge an unsupported phones like iPhones…?

If the USB-A port that supports Quick Charge 3.0 also supports Apple 2.4A, then it can fast charge an iPhone. That is likely what is going on with the product you’re using. It isn’t the Quick Charge tech that is doing the fast charging. It is the Apple 2.4A tech. They just both use the same port.

From a marketing stand point it is common to advertise QC but not Apple 2.4A. I have to test for Apple 2.4A when doing my product reviews, because it is rarely mentioned in the user manual or marketing materials. When I post reviews I make a point to list all fast charging standards my tester detects.

Thanks for the clarification, I’ll make sure to buy always PowerIQ 2.0 from now on.

But I’ve read elsewhere that fast charge required 5V/3A plus… increasing the Voltage or Amperage to charge even faster.

Seemingly 5V/2.4A would not result in the charging times I’ve seen… no?

Not necessary if you don’t have a device that supports Qualcomm Quick Charge.

And now some have 15W PowerIQ 2.0!

Some terms seem to be used by a lot of different makers of chargers n powerbanks, a d all seem to be the same/similar features.

I think that’s a step backwards, why downgrade to 15w? They should just keep it at 18w

When it comes to safety, reliability, and longevity it could be a step in the right direction.

Nailed it… it’s doing 5V/2.4A as you suspected :+1:t5:

So the USB PD Port should be marginally faster…

1 Like

So another update… got an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable and tested…

Bottom line… no difference in charge time between the 18W USB-C PD vs 18W USB-A QC - 5V/2.4A. Time for each incremental 10% charge was within 1min except last 90-100% where the PD port took 14mins more than 5V/2.4A port.

Anecdotally the phone seemed warmer during 5V/2.4A charge so PD might be doing something fancy under the covers to persevere battery better…?

2 Likes