Cat 5 Hurricane Irma Headed to Florida Peninsula and Keys - Prepare Now!

All of this talk of storm power outages, out here in California we had:

• warning on Friday of power outages due to be unusually warm, it was the hottest or near hottest on record. I know it gets warmer in the south than the west but the unexpected heat causes aged about-to-fail transformers to all fail at once, a bit like if its not been windy for ages the windy day knocks all the old branches off.
  • offices in the voluntary managed power reduction programme, offices get hotter “go home”.
  • we also have the continual no-notice threat of earthquakes.

Anyhow, seeing as I bid twice and didn’t win twice, I bought the Eufy stick on lights so we’re not stumbling to go get our Anker torches we have liberally spread around, to go the 1-Gallon bottles of water have spread around (as thirst is the 1st problem after dark problem).

1 Like

If it made it to New York, it would be drastically weaker, and possibly not even a tropical storm, so I don’t think you have to be too concerned. I would, however, keep my eyes on Jośe, the storm behind Irma, as it looks to take a more northerly track. Still way too far out to tell if it will impact the US at all, though. I’d say less than 30% chance it will ATTM.

I have found it more mentally calming to use the “hope for the best, plan for the worst” in that checking weather forecasts for the might turn left / might turn right / might not happen weather checking causes more angst than is useful.

I now keep a high state of preparedness and then 99% of the time totally ignore the weather forecasts. I’m sat here in a 70F dry location, and give me say 2 minutes I could handle a 10F snow storm.

80% of what you need is totally unaffected by the weather. It is your water, no-cook food (energy bars basically), a thin layer (heat = sun protection, cold = base layer), a torch. The noticeable exception is that large down coat I throw in the “going to Minneapolis in February” trip, that fits in a 10L drysac I can grab if California suddenly dropped 60F.

The absolute important thing is to keep yourself physically strong, light, and be not so gadgetry materialist as the human cannot be replaced but that thing you bought can be.

I usually carry an umbrella. Good for rain, good for sun protection. My fave brand went bankrupt but I bought their stock cheap.

I want to be able to have a job as a meteorologist! Say they are so useful…

As a lifelong resident along Gulf of Mexico coast, I’ve been through countless hurricanes. I went through Katrina in Louisiana. Now I’m in Florida, and dead in the path of Irma. Based on experience coupled with the threat level of this hurricane, my advice for any/every one living along the entire stretch of the gulf coast: Be prepared to GET OUT.

Don’t wait until the last minute, only to find yourself trapped in traffic when this cat 5 hurricane hits. Also know alternate travel routes just in case the one you originally planned is too badly congested.

Hotels sell out early, too. It costs nothing to make a reservation (in most cases) so many people do so “just in case.” Wait, and you’re likely to find yourself somewhere in Canada.

No one can accurately predict the path of a hurricane- science, data, esp, whatever- forget it (Katrina, remember?). Giving due consideration to that fact, coupled with the extremely large size of this thing along with its increasing intensity (which will inevitably worsen in the warm Gulf waters), the span of destruction will be very large in scope. For example, if it hits the Florida panhandle as it stands now, you can bet those as far out as the Texas coast will feel the effects.

If this were a cat 3, or anything less, sure- take your chances. Still, plan ahead and be prepared. However, Irma is NOT that. Based on the wind speed, I’m surprised they haven’t created an entire new category other than cat 5! I suppose that’s why it’s called a “mega” storm. The point is, if nothing else: Get out while the getting is good! My rule of thumb is “hope for the best, but always plan for and expect the worst.”

1 Like

Do you have a B.O.B (Bail Out Bag)?

Invest in

A life straw- can filter almost any water pure, your urine will still have salt though
Water proof bag- copies of birth certificate and insurance papers. Also paper money is a must.
Waterproof map or Garmin
Satellite phone- though very expensive are good to have
Empty water bottle
3 days of food bars or a few MREs
a Backpack that is NOT TACTICAL
first aid kit and any required medication
bivy and/or mylar blanket
Anker Battery of course
1 change of clothes
pair of waterproof boots that are puncture resistant and meet electricity resistance standards

Basically this all you would need, even if you had to walk to a Red Cross or FEMA location

1 Like

Good advice.

Another is to avoid cotton, it soaks up water and makes you heavier which can slow you in difficult conditions.

Polyester is a good example. Not to be used when fire is a risk, then leather or cotton is better. I have a windproof material top+bottom as they then block sunlight if forced to be outdoors a long time, stops most insects biting if in a hot humid location, and blocks heat loss if you are in a cold windy situation, these garments I pack as an emergency spare set.

I would not carry an empty waterbottle, I tend to aim for 2L-3L of water, adds 1Kg/L but it covers you til you get to a water source, note those straws typically block bacteria but not viruses usually so a good idea to fall back to straws if desperate, usually you can get emergency services to supply water in a day or after the cause of the problem has passed so usually it is a day’s worth of water you should carry, which in active in cold is about 1L, active in cold is 2L, inactive in hot is 3L, active in hot is (a much bigger number, 8L but carrying 3L gets you to still alive as you lost only 5L). Obviously that filled bottle is empty when you then use the straw. A straw is I agree the best solution but if you wanted to handle bigger problems, then using gravity between two bladders is physically easier (fill dirty bladder, hang from height, straw, clean bladder lower down, wait). The straws which filter viruses are slower so gravity filtering can block viruses.

The Water problem is subtle, as is the Anker benefit.

If you track the history of those who almost made it to survive vs did not, it often tracks to sunshine and water. The human is weird in that the human’s unique benefit is the same as its biggest weakness - the big brain. A human can think itself out of a problem, but also think itself into a problem. Water, the lack of, thirst, focuses the mind on making otherwise irrational risky decisions. Anything you can do to stop thirst helps think straight and do the obvious thing.

Anker’s benefit is mostly related to that brain, that you can “chill” and not over-think a mild problem into a major problem, you can listen to music, watch a video, feel distracted away from your problems so you do not think the problems bigger than they are and so not overreact. I think that is probably Anker’s core advantage, you can carry music, a comedy film, a documentary, something to read, and keep those things going for days (weeks if you add with solar) to keep yourself proportionate to the problem.

A little bit of Anker in your life…

There are also water purification tablets that can help lighten the load. I’ve never personally had to use one, but have seen them relatively cheap in price and good reviews. Long shelf life, too

Ok, now that the models have had a couple days to work themselves out, I’d say there’s a 50-50 chance of Irma making landfall in Florida. IF IT DOES, IRMA IS HIGHPY LIKELY TO BE A CAT 4 OR 5 HURRICANE.
If it doesn’t, Irma will weaken due to cooler waters and more shear, probably not even a major hurricane, by the time it makes landfall near the Georgia area.

Thanks for the update, @joshuad11 ! :thumbsup:
Do I see a career in meteorology in your future?

Hopefully - if there’s still a market!

I think that’s a fairly safe career, as we’ll always have weather! :joy:
Unless we get to the point where we can control it… :hushed:

1 Like

Very true but I am also interested in the broadcast side of things and it seems like less and less people are watching the weather on TV (via the news) and instead just downloading a couple apps and going off of that - at least for the majority of the time. I do both.

For anyone in an “at risk” area, especially where power outages occur, here’s a few very useful tips on food safety and keeping your refrigerated and frozen goods from spoiling so that a full freezer will hold the temperature for approximately 48 hours.

Prepare Ahead of Time

• Appliance thermometers. Make sure you keep appliance thermometers in both the refrigerator and the freezer. That’s the best way to be sure that your food is safe after a power outage. Safe temperatures are 40 °F or lower in the refrigerator; 0°F or lower in the freezer.
  • Freeze water in one-quart plastic storage bags or small containers. They are small enough to fit in around the food in the refrigerator and freezer to help keep food cold and won’t make a mess when the ice melts. Don’t fill them too full. Because water expands when it freezes, the bags might split. Make extra ice at home.
  • Freeze refrigerated items such as leftovers, milk and fresh meat and poultry that you may not need immediately. This helps keep them at a safe temperature longer.
  • Dry ice or block ice. Know where you can get them.
  • Have coolers on hand to keep refrigerator food cold if the power will be out for more than 4 hours.
  • Group foods together in the freezer; this helps the food stay cold longer. They form an “igloo” to protect each other.
  • Don’t put food outdoors in ice or snow because wild animals may be looking for a meal, and when the sun comes out it may warm your food to an unsafe temperature.
  • Stock up on ready-to-eat foods. Be sure to have a few days’ of foods that do not require cooking or cooling.

When the Power Goes Out

• Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. A refrigerator will keep food cold for about 4 hours if the door is kept closed.
  • A full freezer will hold its temperature for about 48 hours (24 hours if half-full).
  • Place frozen meat and poultry on a tray so that if they begin thawing, their juices will not drip on other foods.
  • Buy dry or block ice if the power is going to be out for a long time. Ice will keep the refrigerator as cold as possible. Fifty pounds of dry ice should keep a fully-stocked 18-cubic-feet freezer cold for two days.

When Power Comes Back On
*Check the temperature inside your refrigerator and freezer. Discard any perishable food (such as meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, or leftovers) that have been above 40 °F for two hours or more.
*Check each item separately. Throw out any food that has an unusual odor, color, or texture, or feels warm to the touch.
*Check for ice crystals in frozen food. The food in your freezer that partially or completely thawed may be safely refrozen if it still contains ice crystals or is at 40 °F or below.
*Never taste a food to decide if it’s safe.
*When in doubt, throw it out.
*The link below, from food safety.gov, also provides charts to help you evaluate specific foods, and other useful food related information to weather any storm

Source: https://www.foodsafety.gov/blog/poweroutage2013.html

1 Like

Two-thirds of Florida without power - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41234292

Hope everyone got their Anker orders in and charged their Powercores!

1 Like

Maybe my post inspired a few people.

1 Like

1 Like

The 2018 Hurricane Season is off to an early start with our first named storm. Alberto is expected to strengthen (possibly to hurricane classification). Here’s the expected position by Sunday evening.

Minimum Pressure by Model (12z runs)

ECMWF: 987 mb
GFS: 984 mb
HMON: 971 mb
HWRF: 977 mb
NAM 3km: 974 mb

Think Alberto should stay just below hurricane force.