Best portable travel battery powered router?

This given me an idea,.

I have been thinking of a battery + router + NAS in one unit as a way to keep costs down. I am in danger, nah have been doing, of buying too much storage in total, with a phone with 256GB of storage, and multiple tablets with 64GB to 200GB of SD cards plus their 64GB of internal storage, so what I could do is change to buying minimalist storage devices and just carry one NAS with me and replace its storage over time as it gets full. I probably on my last trip carried 90% similar data between my phone which has 256GB internal storage and my my tablet I carried which had 64GB internal and its 128GB SD card.

Anker should make one!

Until Anker does, I could build my own, I contain in my head all the technical skills, it would be a:

• USB micro-B powered small ARM board, Raspberry Pi, similar. Which one I’d pick would be a function of the battery connection.
  • needs Ethernet, Wifi. So can be a router.
  • USB 3 to plug in a bigger drive.
  • Micro SD slot, I can put in a big-ish SD card, i just ordered a 200GB one I could put in it
  • minimalist smallest Linux, probably a small ARM based Debian.
  • I’d put a transmission daemon on it for torrents, Apache to be a web server, probably make it seamless Web Proxy to cache common files
  • a VPN client on it, good for DNS unlocator

Question:

• is it worth building my own?
  • could I put a phone Nano SIM in one and make it a tethering device?
  • Is there someone who has built which is better than I can build?
  • do you think putting a battery inside something which generates heat (the ARM based router board) is a good idea? Would it better to carry a separate Anker Powercore, separate Anker Powerport and this device?
1 Like

You can build Raspberry Pi With a GSM Module and setup Wifi AP on it. thats the easiest way to do it, plus, can connect PowerCore Slim 5000 for Battery

Have not explored the GSM module, but sure can be done

1 Like

Check out the HT-TM05 TripMate Versatile Wireless N Travel Router. You can put openwrt on it too.

May be what you’re looking for

What’s the advantage of a closed platform vs Linux and build your own?

I’m a little skeptical of built-in battery devices, they die after 2 years, and I’m skeptical of proprietary OS, anything not Linux, as you’re tied to the intellect of the company. But also I see the counter argument, I can make my own device but would become costly and physically big.

External battery, it dies you connect another, the idea of a Anker Powercore Slim 5000, when it dies, buy the next version, there is the Slim 10000 now.

The idea of a daughter board on a Raspberry Pi, if newer better frequencies come along then replace. One SIM and share its connection.

I’m usually just in my pockets, so a phone, or with a bag then can share connections.

Debate.

looks promising! good find. Built RPi Media Server for my car, to watch movies, could have simply bought this

1 Like

Battery is one of the concerns, agreed. Still like the idea. Have some more spare RPi, so want to make use of those as much possible :wink:

The hootoo nano does not have a built in battery but still provides a NAS option with a USB port.

Also, installing OpenWRT on them makes the company lock-in nonexistent.

Nothing wrong with building your own, then its exactly what you want!

Ha! I’m sure you had more fun making it though!

Yes , it was fun, but worth the effort.

I have my Honda rooted and Plex player on it. Have Plex media server on the RPi with Wifi AP and 256GB drive connected to it. Plus iPad with Plez can connect to it, Kids and Wifey get all the fun while I drive :wink:

I considered doing something similar, but if I have to suffer while in the car others get to too.