Apple announces AirPods 2 with wireless charging case, better battery life and 'Hey Siri'

CNN Link
9to5mac

The set will be available in two options: with a wireless charging case for $199 or with the normal standard case for $159 – the same price as the original AirPods.
The wireless charging case is also available for $79 for people with the original version of AirPods.

AirPods 2 feature Apple’s new H1 chip, which the company says gives better performance, faster connect times and up to 50% more talk time than the original AirPods. Users can also now say “Hey Siri” to activate the voice assistant, rather than tapping one of the ear buds.
AirPods 2 can be purchased online starting Wednesday and will hit Apple Stores next week.

For the first time, Apple is offering a free engraving service when purchasing AirPods. The custom message is positioned at the bottom of the AirPods case, below the LED charging indicator.

The tech specs for the new AirPods say that the earbuds require devices running iOS 12.2, watchOS 5.2 or macOS 10.14.4. With the AirPods shipping next week, it therefore follows that Apple will be launching these OS updates next week too.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing this! Big Apple enthusiast here, I must have missed the memo on the keynote… :rage:

Edit: I’m also curious what the other devices Apple released are… in the CNN link it says there are two others… @kumar.sachin

1 Like

I swear it’s literally just the same😂 I thought it was going to be a BIG change shift.

1 Like

Think I’ll wait for the Liberty Air 2.0 :grin:

4 Likes

What a disappointment, so much hype for nothing. Apple should be ashamed to release the same product with just a slightly better chip

2 Likes

Definitely doesn’t make me want to upgrade to the AirPods 2. I hate to say it but ever since Steve Jobs passed away, Apple hasn’t made any of their new products, a “must have” or “really want” for me. Heck, I’m still on the iPhone 6s. Now, when I see their keynote event, I’m like, “yeah, ok. Cool.” When Steve Jobs was around, I’d be like, “omg, I want that!” I think that instead of picking up the Airpods 2, I’d rather pick up the Liberty Neo. Side note…$79 for a wireless charging case? That’s crazy! Might as well pick up the original Airpods for a bit more. Hate to say it because I love Apple products BUT Apple dropped the ball on these.

All the news makes it here eventually.

Here’s the deal. Apple knows that it’s still the market leader with AirPods, so they’re not going to improve them a lot until someone else takes their market share from them. Once that happens, Apple will release AirPods 3 or 4 with all those actual game-changing features that everyone was hyped about. For now, why do it? People are going to keep buying them, even more now since they released wireless charging case and I’m pretty sure the new iPhone will also have reverse wireless charging (the whole point on why releasing AirPods 2 now).

I’m still disappointed, obviously, but I understand their reasoning.

But but but… You can now say ‘hey Siri’ :joy: :joy:

Great you can do the same thing us who have an Android phone has been able to do for a while.
I can do the same with any headphones as I have my phone setup for voice control

I don’t know what I should think about version 2. So many hoped that it would be water resistant. I hope that they fixed the battery problem

The day will come, they change the colour a little bit and tell customers its a totally new product. :joy:

1 Like

Lol I know, I was poking fun at Apple :sweat_smile:

I will save my disappointment till 25th to know what else was not upgraded … lol

Another pointless release by Apple! They should have changed out the form factor of the buds or the case to justify the release. These are definitely not for me!

1 Like

I agree with you. I understand they are trying to approach a different group of people but I just can deal with the form factor. I’ll stay with my Liberty Neo earphones. They are perfect for the GYM.

1 Like

New Beats 100% wireless coming soon.

I’m not buying another Apple device util I can say “Siri play from Spotify” and it happens.

You do know that beats is owned by Apple right?

Tugar32: *never buys beats again*

1 Like

At some point apple will kill beats “brand”

Yeah, it’s kinda silly to have multiple brands for the same company (hint hint hint)