Anker power port solar 28 watt

#useankerinstead
just wandering if there are any plans to bring out a more powerful solar charger like a 28 watt to rival the big blue 28 watt solar charger and a few others? im looking for a a solar charger but ive got two 26800mah powerbanks which i have to charge and looking for a high out put solar charger to charge large capacity powerbanks

4 Likes

Yes, if you are in Japan.

4 Likes

Imagine a USB-C port and a solar powerbank. I noticed the 21watt price fluctuates. I have one and have been struggling to keep it hung in the window.

1 Like

Anker solar panel is not designed to your use case.

The sun moves so solar panel needs to moves with it, and solar energy is significantly depleted indoors. They are designed to fold out pointing sun-ward when living off-grid.

Rigid solar panels work better for permanent installations.

I have a had a love/hate 20 year relationship with solar, currently I still prefer to pack a bigger battery instead, on average it works best. I did a test off-grid for 4 days in July and solar worked ok as was sunny all the time, then did a 3 week off-grid in September and rained a lot and didn’t work so well. My ideal solution would be a 2 port 15Ah Powercore which recharged fully in 2-4 hours, that amount of energy would last me 3-4 days and I’d recharge indoors like over a pub lunch and most backpackers pass electricity every few days.

3 Likes

Powerbanks are good, but not being able to recharge them without power sucks. A few days and what I have works, but you realize the uncertainty of how much longer without power. Over 300 sunny days a year here and it takes a while to charge up

1 Like

To get some kind of independence you have to install bigger panels
and a more than a tiny power bank as storage. :wink:

If there is so much sun.
You should go for!

Already on the roof. The 21 watt is nice, but hanging it not so much.

1 Like

There should be really more than 100 Watt from 1 sqm.

im thinking along the lines of when im camping and dont want to pay extra for the sake of electric hook up just to charge me phone

Wonder if more solar projects are in the works

Right but you’re arguing for the situation calling for static installations, for home power outages, not a folding portable panel.

Static is strongly solved by using your roofspace and recover the costs over years.

The portable solar systems are necessarily less powerful, and if you weigh them you can carry about 15Ah for the same weight.

So for the sort of solar panel Anker historically does is for a long period, say at least a week, of a backpacking, base station type event.

I doubt it. There is difficulty in adding value for Anker. Anker leverages Panasonic 18650 cells and more recently LG M50 21700 cells. These represent at least half the cost, the remaining is when Anker designs and integrates electronics which steps up the voltage from the cells within their Wattage discharge safe limits. The added value is that you can get a decent high Amps from a cell but a low voltage, so you use buck-boost electronics to step up the voltage to be nearer to the 9V, 20V that higher end devices want.

The solar panels Anker historically made are dominated by solar cells they did not make, and some very simply electronics which make 5V. The ampage of solar cells is low.

Now where we are talking about solar energy. Is there a phone which uses solar power to charge?

No, with current technology that is the dumbest idea.

The size of the solar panel is so small its useless. Solar supply is not as reliable. You’d have to leave your phone out and more chance of it being stolen / lost.

Sunshine makes the phone hotter, that will slow the phone down and fry the battery up faster and so in relatively little time kill your phone.

A Powercore slim 10000 would be all you’d need for a couple of days, that meets 90% of what anyone would need.

Out in the rural county where we live our power goes out sometimes in a light breeze. But that’s because our power company line men can’t keep up with the trees along the power lines. Until I can get solar on our roof for backup I keep a couple of portable solar cells from another brand handy for those days our power goes out and I forgot to keep my power bank charged.

So I keep about 100Wh and about 60W of solar at home, that collectively covers the more reasonably arguable situations. In reality the biggest power outage the last decade has been 24 hours. That 24 hour power outage made me do only:

• gas camping stove
  • solar
  • a few big Powercore
  • gallons of water and tinned food. Water matters most if you are familiar with what kills people fastest.

The bigger challenge is a 7-10 day outage. Because solar can only really keep up with your smaller devices, so messaging and some entertainment. Bigger than that you’re looking at government intervention and assistance.

The USA is awash with “preppers” who try to handle the worst case, but their demise is they are public, wearing green and a walking “if it gets bad come kill me and you can consume my hoard of resources”.

I’m talking about the Powerhouse 200. It says that it can be recharged by solar

Am I a “prepper” as well, when planting potatoes at the backyard?
If I fell into the mania storing barrels of beer in my basement I think I am. :joy:

Powerhouse 200 is too wattage to power the bigger devices at home.

Powerhouse is 200Ah and two Powercore 26800 / 100Wh is lower cost.