Zolo Liberty+ Review

I’ve made a short experience today while walking home, no music with Transparency on. As with my initial impression, it sounds artificial, but only today during this walk I realized why. All sounds get a boost and, since they are all being filtered and retransmitted through the single-source earbuds, we have absolutely no sense of sound direction. I could hear my steps as good as I could hear the cars on the street, but they all seemed to come directly from the side of my head - because they were.

It’s such a powerful misdirection that you brain can’t reprogram it and correct. We may not realize, but our brain is amazing at processing information and correcting before presenting it to us, to the point where you can distinguish sound direction - to some extent - from single-sourced sounds such as TVs. The Transparency overpasses the brain in this, which is bad. If you really want to let the exterior sound in while walking, turn the volume down. I realized today that Transparency would be no help in the event of a car fast approaching from somewhere I can’t see - it would seem to be coming transversally from me no matter where it really were.

If you ever watched a binaural city walk video - such as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd5i7TlpzCk - you can get a sense of what the Liberty+ can’t do. To be fair, probably no earbud can.

So, again, if you need exterior sound, turn the volume down and don’t trust Transparency. Be safe out there.

2 Likes

Received mine yesterday evening. Can confirm these do not have AptX functionality and at this point are non better than the SoundBuds Surge/Slim. However, once they have been run in a bit I’ll be giving a full review as it’s impossible to give a fair appraisal after half a days use.

I do love the charging case, feels nice but the lid feels flimsy so one to be careful with when handling.

Hope everyone who has them is enjoying theirs :+1:

1 Like

Looking forward to your review!:grin:

1 Like

Hi,
I was originally chosen to be a Zolo Tuner but never got the chance to actually participate in the testing process. So I wanted to share my impressions since I’m on my third day of testing the Liberty+. Here are my first impressions.

First off the sound quality. These ear buds sound great. They are definitely high quality sounding buds. I was previously using the Bose Qc20 and I can definitly confirm that these sound as good and in certain conditions even better. Base is rich and full, highs are clear although lack a bit of sharpness for my taste. Trebles are present enough and detailed.

The fit is good but not perfect. You can’t just put them on and start running. The silicone needs to warm up a bit before the buds stick well in the ear. Also I use the largest tips and grip fit jacket although I don’t think that I have overly big ears. So some people with big ears might have difficulty to get a proper fit. Also I believe the tips would fit better if the shape was oval rather that round. I don’t believe ear canals are round but more of a oval shape. Bose and Apple both have oval shape earplugs and I think that is the right way to go. That beeing said they fit comfortably and once properly inserted and warmed up the don’t give the impression that they will fall. However not falling is insuficient because running loosens the seal in the ear and when that happens sound quality degrades rapidly. So from time to time it is necessary to push the buds back in place. I don’t think this is uncommon from in ear bud type earphones but what an edge you would have if you had a fix for this (stickier silicone? Better shape?) But for casual walking or other low intensity activities they fit very well.

Bluetooth connexion is excellent. I use a Galaxy S8 which has Bluetooth 5.0 but does not support AAC code. Never had a drop in signal while close to the phone and could move away at least 10 meters before loosing signal. The pairing process is easy enough although I don’t understand what Z-up is for and couldn’t connect to it. Once paired I had some difficulty to reconnect. I don’t know if there is a sequence to follow but what seems to work best is to remove the right bud from the case and wait for it to connect and then the left. If I removed both simultaneously I had issued with the ear buds not connecting. I have to test this more. Any advice? Does taking them out of the case put them in paring mode automatically? Can we pair them to another phone if they were already once paired?

I’m sad to say that Latency while watching video is horrible. I think that the announced latency was around 250ms. So while this was expected I really believe that the actual latency is much more. I don’t have any way at the present to test latency but I believe that it’s more in the range of 500 to 800 ms. Is it because of the S8 not supporting AAC? I have yet to try it with an IPhone which does. Hopefully a firmware update might help in this matter. At the moment this is the biggest flaw of the Liberty+ product. I understand that it is aimed at a more active lifestyle and watching videos and movies are not at the forefront of the use cases but I feel it really needs to be better in that aspect to be able to say “zero compromise”.

I love the charging case. Well built, sleek and compact enough considering there is 48h worth of batteries in there. Only aspect I would like to be better is the balance when the lid is open. When open, the case doesn’t hold up right on a table it always tilts backwards. It would be a good thing to balance it so that it stays flat without falling. The magnetic action that secures the buds in place is amazing. I love that feature, the fact that you know that the buds are inserted securely and start charging immediately is amazing. Although with dry hands it’s a bid hard sometimes to get the buds out of the case as they become slippery and the magnets are pretty strong. But I’d rather have that than having the buds fall out of the case.

About the three lights on the case I think they are perfect… subtle and give just the needed information. I love that when you shake the case the lights turn on for a few seconds to show the charge level. Great detail!

About the lights on the earbuds it is not always clear what they mean. When turned on in the case it means charging… When turned off in the case it would mean full charge… Out of the case I’m not sure…connecting? connected? Bluetooth pairing? As I said dont quite understand yet.

Battery life seems ok but I think there is a software glitch with the amount the charge percentage displays. Either that or the buds don’t fully charge. Often when just taken out of the case after more than 2 hours charging the displayed amount on the app is never 100%. I have yet to use them long enough to test the advertised full 3h30 autonomy but the way the percentage drops I believe we would be closer to 2h30…I’ll have to test more to get better data. But definitely something is of on the announced percentage or the batteries are performing less than expected.
While we are discussing the Zolo life APP I find that it is well presented. The equalizer is useful but I would have preferred custom settings to tweak the sound to my licking rather than preset music modes.
Finally transparency mode is interesting but I don’t know how much I’ll use it. It does not only let outside sound in it amplifies it. This is on for speach but it also amplifies ambiant sound life my offices ventilation system or the fan on the coffee machine. If their was a way to filter these sound out than that would be quite amazing. As it is I don’t think I’ll be using it much. It’s just easier and quicker to remove one earbud.
Phone calls work great and I was hearing other people very well and they told me they didn’t notice I was not talking through my phone. Very good job there.
So these are my first impressions…I give those freely in the hopes that what can be corrected by a software upgrade will be adressed and that what is related to hardware will make it’s way on the next product. All in all I congratulate all the team on an excellent job and look forward to future products from Zolo. It will be my pleasure to test those out for you if you need it.

Best regards,
Marc Gennaoui

1 Like

This is an amazing review, wow! Looking forward to trying these out.

1 Like

Hello all,
I am early adopter of these earbuds via crowdfunding.
Just got mine yesterday and I am unhappy with them, reasons below:

1. pairing wasn’t so effortless as marketed, had to disconnect, connect few times to get them paired with iPhone. I have read all manual before pairing :wink:
  2. right earbud button wasn’t responding to touch, found excessive adhesive used for button cover attachment, this adhesive glued whole button, even after cleaning it with needle right earbud do not respond such effortless like left one, you need to press it harder, but it is quite unpleasant experience for ear as you pushing with force earbud inside. So quality control isn’t 100%.
  3. buttons do not work as expected, seems they live own life, sometimes responds to press, sometimes do not, so you need to click, click, click… 1 sec delayed press should backward or forward song, but instead it is just pausing playing, double click should invoke Siri but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t do not respond, maybe FW flaw I don’t know, but buttons aren’t working as expected, no custom customization for them as well. Keep in mind that marketed product do not say that only right earbud is working during the call.
  4. video playing is with huge sound delay, so you won’t be able to use earbuds for video playing on media player or YouTube app.
  5. call quality is awful, person on other side barely hear me. So you won’t be able to use them for calls as well.
  6. what do they mean by tap and press on guide, because double tap do not invoke Siri double press do so button usage guide misleading
  7. when going to full volume and going down instantly earbuds sometime stay to full volume until “reboot” of the earbuds

Only one good thing about them is sound quality, everything additional is big disappointment :frowning:

They need to increase their quility control significantly…

My 23€ Xiaomi wireless earbuds doing above flawless.

At the moment wouldn’t recommend them for production quality issues, firmware and software issues.
Later versions should be better, looking for replacement or refund :confused:

Hi Martynas! Thanks for sharing your opinion!

It seems you might have a defective unit. Many of the issues you point works just fine for me, and for some other reviewers. Specifically, your mention of pairing and call quality baffled me - both are far better than my Anker SoundBuds Sport IE. From the first time I connected I never had any problems - I don’t even think about it, I take them off the case, put in my ears and press the button to start playing, and I never had the connection break. As I said in my original review, the buttons functions take some time to get used to. Now, I can control everything I want without mistake - other than going back to the previous song; I can go back to the beginning of the current song but not to the previous, go figure.

Have you contacted Zolo with this issues? You probably could get a replacement.

I can’t say anything about the delay on videos - I use exclusively for music and calls - but it’s something I’ve read other people complaining. I’ll test that and get back with my impressions.

Hello,
Yes I have contacted them, no response yet.
Do you use android or iPhone? As for me going back or to next song do not work…

If your using Android that would be why, almost no headphones offer that ability on Android. Some have gotten by with software to allow this but its all dependant on the phone and it’s operating system

I am using iPhone and spotted that z-up is disconnecting frequently then my buttons do not respond, but they are anyway useless even when works…

Thanks for the detailed review…well done! :thumbsup:

1 Like

I use the Liberty+ with an iPhone 8. Speaking of which, maybe Bluetooth 5.0 - or lack thereof - could be a culprit in your connection issues.

Nevertheless, try contacting Zolo again, and Anker also. You might not be able to get a replacement right away as they are still in the middle of shipping backer units, but I do believe they will be sensitive to your issues.

Could you tell me how you are going to next song, as I never succeeded it directly always accidentally when trying multiple times, one press for 1sec just pausing music for me…

For all who think to purchase these I would suggest to think twice, lots of issues reported on Kickstarter…

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1792059063/liberty-the-first-zero-compromise-total-wireless-e/comments

1 Like

@AnkerOfficial @AnkerTechnical
They will help as needed

They do not respond two days already passed tried to email them and call to their hotline without luck. Seems busy with shipping and quality issues.

New issue, right earbud is on lower volume, these earbuds breaks in hours… what a piece of sh**… sorry for swearing but how such quality product can be delivered to the client. I will try to get refund instead of replacement as I lost faith in them :frowning:

Version 1 Kicktstarter

3 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place to put this as I’m new to the forum here but I wanted to ask a question specifically about my new Liberty+ that I’ve been testing.

One of the drawbacks I’ve experienced as OP has mentioned is that there’s no real way to know how much charge is left on the earbuds other than through the app. I also seemed to have some issues charging them in the case as I had no idea if it was working or not. I finally got them to turn solid LED colored in the case which seems to be the “charging” indication.

Upon being done charging, I turned them on and the peculiar thing is that it showed only 87% charge. Anyone else experiencing this??

It’s try and error, I guess… It took me a few days to get used to it.

1 Like

If you have connected them to an iPhone. You can see the battery charge left in the widget screen

2 Likes