ZOLO Halo Smart Speaker with Amazon Alexa (Review)

This review is for Zolo Halo Smart Speaker made by Anker. This is for Amazon Alexa enabled version of this speaker. Zolo Halo comes in a nice package. The external package (box) is much bigger than the speaker itself.
Speaker size is 2.75” Dia, 3.5” High
Inside the box there is the speaker and a power cord with barrel type plug. Power cord don’t have folding plug and has extremely shiny finish with ZOLO logo on top.
Power cord is around 60” in length.
Power cord is rated at 9V, 1.5A
Inside the box there are some printed instructions to setup the speaker (Owner’s Manual), instructions to Activate Amazon Alexa, Happy/Unhappy Card and Zolo safety information.
Most of the printed text on the box is in English and German. It seems that Zolo Smart Speaker can understand English and German only at this time.

Now about the speakers…
These Zolo smart speakers are cylindrical in shape (pictures attached). Speaker is exactly 245 g in weight. These Zolo speaker has 5 watt output.
There is a lighted ring on top that shows various color lights as per the functions that the speaker is performing (looks very cool). Also on top of the speaker are volume up/down buttons as well as play/pause button and a bluetooth button to initiate Bluetooth pairing mode.
Also on top of the speakers are two microphone holes.
The bottom 60% of the speaker part is covered in speaker grills (holes). Top front has a microphone mute button (for privacy). Bottom front has ZOLO logo on speaker grill.
On the back of speaker, there is power input and Aux Output as well as a LED light to show power status.

The bottom of speaker is rubber type material that have friction to prevent slips. This material has tendency to attract some dirt (I already have some dirt on mine). It says Zolo Halo, Model Z6000, Input 9V, 1.5A. FCC and other IDS and SN of the unit.

Now about the functioning…
I used iPhone for setting up the speaker. Zolo Play App is available for both iOS and Android.
When you first start the speaker, it asks to download Zolo Play App. After installing the app you connect phone to speakers wifi and input your home wifi name and password. After that Zolo connects to your home wifi and now you can play music from your phone (At this point phone can be connected back to home wifi). This app is really nice and has pleasing graphics (rotating vinyl record) while playing songs. Design is minimalist with all the necessary controls (play/pause, forward/reverse and volume controls).
Out of the box, speakers are set for automatic firmware update. Zolo is also capable of making personal hotspot (disabled by default). Most of the Alexa functions are enabled/configured after downloading Amazon Alexa app. Out of the box, Zolo was responding correctly about weather/traffic/alarm requests. Alexa is extremely responsive and responds even from across the room. One great feature is that multiple phones on same wifi network as these speakers can see/control the music functions.
Amazon Alexa comes built-in along with several radios (tunein, iHeart, Napster, Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz). These can also access Plex and some music NAS apps on home wifi network.
Sound quality is extremely good and has good bass. Listening is extremely enjoyable on these speakers.

Overall these are extremely well performing smart speakers. Built quality is top notch.

My only suggestion is to use alternative material for the bottom of the speakers to prevent it from catching dust.

6 Likes

Very helpful review! Thanks for sharing and taking all those pictures for our viewing pleasure.

2 Likes

great review, thanks for sharing :sunglasses:

1 Like

Great review. I know it works with some music streaming services but does it work with Apple Music?

I wish Apple and the others would allow cross platform use for all services :relaxed:

1 Like

Excellent review. Thanks for all the pics. That is one good looking speaker. I really like the design and especially the blue LED light.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. I remember my Soundcore mini use the same material for the bottom, and its always catch dust…

1 Like

Nice review, love the in depth information on it. Pictures were awesome…and that is one shiny plug, I can see it getting scuffed up easily

Excellent review @kumar.sachin , thanks for sharing!

Great review! Thanks for sharing!

Great review. I the speaker works just as described. I was even able to connect Alexa up to my extensive audio library on our desktop computer that on the same wireless network through My Media.
1 Major drawback you have to have the Halo app running on something for the speaker to be connected to Amazon. As far as I know this is not necessary with the Echo devices. Could an Anker Tech verify this? It’s not a big issue but it means I have to have a dedicated tablet home all the time.

Great review & pictures @kumar.sachin looks a good device to compliment my Dots :slight_smile:

1 Like