Zolo Halo Review as of April 2018

The Zolo Halo speaker is a near miss, but if you can get it at $30 or less, it’s worth a buy.

The form factor, design and sound quality from the speaker are fantastic. It’s an unobtrusive yet handsome rounded cylinder, with a clean design. While it’s hard to gauge size from pictures online, it’s about the size of a closed fist. Definitely smaller than I expected, but thats not a bad thing. The sound output is said to be better than a dot, but I don’t really notice much of a difference. Mids are stronger than the dot, but there is virtually no low end. Zero thump. This, again, is not a bad thing; considering the size of the speaker it is solidly adequate. The Halo is very good at picking up your voice from across a medium size room, but will require you to speak LOUDLY to pick you up clearly in a big or noisy space. It is slower at responding and processing your commands than a Dot or Echo, but not so much so that it’s a hassle. Overall, it’s a middle of the road entry in the small bluetooth speaker market that punches above it’s weight class thanks to Alexa integration.

Now, the catch. As with most other third party speakers, Alexa integration is limited. Calling, messaging, and other Echo specific features do not work, and I didn’t expect them to. I did expect the BT link to my phone to work though. My biggest annoyance with the device is it’s inability to connect to/disconnect from my paired phone without me going to my phone’s settings. The Halo is also unable to skip or pause songs once a connection is established. Since I listen to my music through Napster and my iTunes library, this adds extra steps that I don’t have with my Echo.

Finally, I’ve heard raves about Anker’s customer service and was excited to finally join their customer base. Unfortunately, two calls to their customer service center with basic questions about functionality left me wanting. The team members did not seem to know basic things about the device such as, “what Alexa features are unavailable.” The second person I spoke to told me that she would have to ask the one team member who was trained on the device to call me back. He didn’t. I’m not averse to self help, so I combed their website for online support information, but there’s nothing official online other than user forums.

I’m still not sure if I’m going to keep the Zolo Halo, but if I’d paid the $59 MSRP, it would have been back in Amazon’s warehouse already.

If any software updates roll out, I’ll update my review accordingly.

2 Likes

Got any pictures? And thanks for your honest thoughts and opinions on this. I do not have the zolo but rather the Eufy genie and I agree that it lags a bit behind when talking or waking alexa. But, I have found I can skip sings by saying “Alexa, next song” and then the next song starts. I have used this with google, my own music library and Amazon music

1 Like

I dont have pics right now but will try to upload some later.

When ever I try to do that, it says I’m sorry but connecting to your phone is not supported.

I have a Zolo Halo and my findings differ from yours in a few areas. I have found that there is a decent enough amount of bass for a speaker of this size. I have scarcely ever heard a speaker this size do much better, but mileage may vary depending on the type of music you listen to. Admittedly, I don’t listen to much rap on this speaker since it is parked in my office. I listen mostly to electronic music like trap and dubstep as well as milder and softer music like classical and jazzhop/chillhop.

Another area where I have seen significantly different findings is in connection to devices and skipping, pausing, etc. I use spotify for my music almost exclusively. I only use BT functionality with my work laptop which always automatically connects to the Halo as soon as I open the lid. I then tell Alexa to play something from spotify, or I open spotify on my laptop and use it that way, or open it on my phone and play music via ‘spotify connect.’ At any time, I can tell Alexa to raise or lower the volume, skip tracks, or pause. I also can play/pause/skip, adjust volume on any device that I have spotify on. It is a great system for sure!

I’m sorry that you have had a frustrating time with the device. Check and see if there is a software update as that might explain the limited functionality or mistakes that have been made. If all else fails, swap to spotify and it’ll work like a dream! :stuck_out_tongue: Cheers!

2 Likes

While my Halo plays and controls streaming services fine, I listen to a lot of music that’s saved to my phone. I’m not saying that it doesn’t work for those.

Again, my specific issue is that it cannot control music it plays thats being streamed via bluetooth.

Thank you for sharing your experience though.

Good feedback @omega_watts for @AnkerTechnical hopefully Alexa integration will improve.

1 Like

I actually have 4 of these which amazon is selling for 20 bucks a piece. At that price they are a steal, but the integration with the Alexa world is weak at best. I would love to see some software updates, but I fear Anker has given up on this product. I also have a Eufy. Better integration…but not by much.

1 Like

Thanks for the effort, and time!