You can now run windows 10 on raspberry pi 3b+

Thanks for sharing on NanoPi, will plan on getting these if I need more :slight_smile:

Of course I could afford a MAC but why should I go for one,
if ALL things I have to do can be done with my 10 year old Lenovo under Linux-Mint.

But what I never liked : There are “confirmed” users of a certain OS who are really demonizing other OS.

Each one should use the OS he likes and he gets used to it.
A skilled user can use them all if he wants to. :grin:

1 Like

That’s what I have been doing, but using Win 7 OS on Lenovo. Now it is at a point to upgrade the hardware, such as add SSD and increase RAM etc., as it seems giving up on me.

But always wanted to get hands on a mac though. Well, One day !! :smile:

You never tried LINUX?
Give it a chance. :grin:
SSD is fine, but no need to increase then RAM, if WIN 7 is doing fine.

And don’t forget.

No more spyware, trojans, no more virus’ to care about -> no more watchers, scanners and malware detectors needed,
Those will diminish the speed of a computer incredible,

And you are joining a small and exclusive community.
They all know a lot and like to share their wisdom.
Same as here! :grin:

2 Likes

I might have loaded it once, and didn’t play a lot with it.
So, can you do it all that you can do in win 7 then?

1 Like

I think YES!
You have an Office (not this from WIN of course, but working as fine called Libre-Office, (you can import all Win files there) you got GIMP as mighty as Photoshop (but free :grin:).
I use banshee for music (there you find an excellent equalizer with 10 tunable frequencies!)
And you may can use browsers like firefox, chrome, even the Explorer (I call it “exploder” :joy:)

And as I mentioned:
You may get elder hardware to work fine.
You might give it a try and use a usb-stick first to play with.
The system in your device will kept untouched of course.
There are different distributions of Linux, using all the same kernel, but the GUI is different.

I like LINUX MINT so far.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with @fhassm. What I did though is create a dual boot computer. I have a copy of Win7 running primary while I can reboot into Ubuntu. It does have many advantages, and you can also run the Linux OS straight from a USB memory stick. It is great having this option.

Ubuntu Download Website

3 Likes

@dicejedi thanks for the link. I was just given 2 rack mount servers running Ubuntu, i haven’t used that since I was a kid so its good to make a bootable drive so I can play around with it before I set up and figure what I’ma do with the servers

3 Likes

Thank you @fhassm for your tips, now I am considering to install it on a flashdrive and see if this is something I would like to go with.
@dicejedi: Thanks for the link, I will give it a try.

Which one is best to replace windows, LINUX or UBUNTU?

1 Like

It has developed such a LOT!
So much better than in the old days.
Try it use a bootable USB first.
And enjoy!

All these distributions are using the same kernel .
Only the GUI is a little bit different.

This way it is given some confusion to the users.
Same with ANKER: similar models different names. :grin:

UBUNTU, KUBUNTU and LINUX-MINT I would suggest to take a look at. I prefer LINUX MINT, smart graphical interface and slim.

And of course you may configure your computer for dual booting.
Both systems WIN and LINUX -> Linux will not take much storage! :wink:

1 Like

Ubuntu is a Linux kernel so it is basically just one flavor of Linux. There are many kernels built from Linux but I prefer Ubuntu… easy interface, provides continuous security updates, very popular, and is fun to use. I see @fhassm uses Mint. I haven’t used that one but you can’t go wrong really with any Linux kernel. You might though need to get the basic Linux commands, you can just google them. This is to start/stop services, to get on command updates (apt-get update or sudo commands) etc… but you won’t be using these commands all the time, everything has a GUI now!

2 Likes

Those were the old days. : The “command line”.
Now all is done automatically.
BUT if there is a need you can step down to the “real old command line”

Love the command line. I use Linux on my raspberry pi though :joy:

1 Like

You should try to reanimate an old computer as well.
Fun and satisfaction guaranteed! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m thinking about getting a newer laptop and loading a Linix based software on it. I want to get into coding. Not that Linux will be any better for that.

1 Like

@fhassm True. The command line is behind us now, but I still go to Terminal and use it since it is way easier. At least for me it is!

1 Like

Be careful.
Some “newer laptops” might work, others NOT.
Depends on hardware built in there.
Not always the “newest” hardware is supported by the kernel.
This will take always a little time, then it is ready.
Ask the LINUX community first , not stepping into an unexplored area.

REMEMBER : The LINUX-community is not a big, powerful company as MS or Apple. Its more a club of well educated and sophisticated enthusiasts.

Once you joined you are in! :heart_eyes:
Same here!

1 Like

Me too. Old Unix-user! :smiley:

1 Like

@ajsanders2004 Just to give you a weird example of Linux installation. Years ago I installed “Yellow Dog” kernel on to a Sony PS3. It worked fine, but my kids really hated it so I uninstalled it. If you still have a PS3 and are curious about it then I’ll post a link to the .iso so you can get it.

Yellow Dog Linux Link