+++ YAMYAM's detailed eufy cam SOLAR PANEL TEST & REVIEW +++

A post was merged into an existing topic: Spam Links 18th Dec

Hey yamyam, I plan to do something similar to your setup. But wanted to see if this solar panel from Reolink would work with the Eufy 2c?

REOLINK Solar Panel Power Supply Designed for Reolink Home Security Outdoor Rechargeable Battery Powered IP Camera Argus 2/Argus Eco/Go/Argus PT, Waterproof, Reliable and Long-Stop Charging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WL7FZR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sNJmEbVGRGDCM

Thank you

Hi @littlecube141

As it got a micro-usb plug, it will work, yes, as long as the ouput is quite stable at 5V!
Couldn’t find any infos about the voltage output. You may ask there and wait for an answer.
3,5-5W at 5V would be quite ok and you will not run out of battery power (at least in summer time and with lot of sunny days, in winter you may need to manuall charge from time to time)

Thanks man. I was looking into the solar panels that they make for the blink xt2. Which come with a battery within the panel. Not sure how that would work. But curious if the battery would also charge the internal battery of the eufy camera. I might test it in the near future.

1 Like

Excellent, if you know more or wanna link it to me or make a review/test, tell and post it to me please. Thanks!

Hi Yamyam, really enjoyed reading your review and insights on using a solar panel with Eufy cameras. I purchased the Reolink and it has a maximum 6v output and max 3.5 W. I was excited when I connected it at night and pointed a very bright LED light at it and it showed the battery being charged in the app and the blue light came on showing it was charging. However, today, I took it outside in the sun and the app does not show it charging and the blue light doesn’t come on. I was checking the connections and noticed when I hold the solar panel right side down, it started to show it was charging. When I flipped it right side up, it stopped. Is it possible it has too much output in direct sunlight? Curious on your thoughts. Thanks in advance. Mark in Texas

1 Like

Same for me

As far as i know, the voltage has to be exactly, or as most as, 5V!
6V seems to be too much. And sure, if the battery is full (100%) it won’t show any more charging.
Else, if the battery is not full and not showing any charhing, something is wrong.

Eufy told me to be sure the panel has 5V. Don’t know if 6V would make any difference, as the fast charging is on 9V … so normaly not. Suspicous. Maybe anker will help you here … but dont bet on it, we wait since 2 years to get updates and promised features.

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered the Wasserstein Solar Panel that said compatible with eufyCam E Wireless Security Camera for use with my eufy2’s. It seems to be working. It has been very cloudy here, but in 3 days it did charge 10%. Today was sunny and I had the solar panel in direct sunlight and it charged the battery approximately 10v in that time from 24 to 34v. Thank you again

1 Like

Hello,
could I use the Wasserstein Solar Panel for the Eufycam C2, too?
Do you have a link to the right panel?

Hello,
I found a solar panel suitable for Eufy 2C on Amazon. The seller said it is 5W / 5V, which means that its current can reach 1A. I bought it and look forward to my test!

1 Like

Very nice … but pretty much expensive and i don’t see why it shouldn’t also work with the original eufy cam (1) - if it is 5V and got micro-usb port. Their graphic on the site shows it won’t work.

Hello,
I contacted the seller and he told me that the Micro USB has a different orientation, with a difference between horizontal and vertical. They also have solar panels suitable for Eufycam 1080P / Eufycam 2.
After receiving the goods, I will upload the evaluation content to the forum.

Does it have a reverse diode?

Take anything said in solar and half it. You need to do your calculations too. So if you’re statically pointing the solar panel, your problem will be winter, worse the further higher your latitude as you risk getting no sun through winter if it’s blocked by anything near the horizon. If you owned the property through the past winter, you’ll know spots which get sun in winter.

Morning sun is more powerful than afternoon sun for solar, as solar is less efficient in heat and morning are cooler.

So some example calculation:

• 5W - no it isn’t, it’s probably 2.5W
  • 5V - I doubt it, unless there’s a buck-booster within, it’s going to be 2V-3V most of the time, and will drain your EufyCam unless there is a diode.
  • Assuming you can get to 5V, assume its an average of 2 hour/day summer, 1 hour/day winter. So winter is the issue.
  • Assuming 1 hour/day winter, assuming 5V, you’re going to get 1 hour of charging per winter day. So 5Wh/day, or 1Ah/day
  • Divide 5Wh into the Wh of the EufyCam. The E version I see has 13.4Ah cell, so you’re going to give it 1/13th of its cell needs/day.
  • So if the 1 year between charges was actually true, off solar, you’ll be able to keep the cam charged with a safety factor of 28x.
  • In reality you’ll probably find the Eufycam enters autumn fully charged, emerges from winter not fully charged and so keeps going through the year.
  • So in this example, if you orientated the solar panel to be aligned with late morning winter sun, it will comfortably keeping the camera going all year round.

Yes. I consulted the seller, he told me that there is Anti backflow diode, he took a picture of me. The product has not been received. I will test it after receiving it.

1 Like

this did not work with my 2c cam

That’s bad

Is it one panel per camera?

Anyone got one working with a 2c yet?

If asking me, yes … i am using one solar panel for each cam currently. But i will try 2 panels for 1 cam in some weeks. in winter months one solar panel is not enough in my case of 150-200 videos daily/cam.

The photovoltaic effect turns an insulator into a conductor when sufficiently high frequency light hits it.

If you use two panels, one in shade one in sun, the shaded would will be an insulator and block electricity passing through. So either connect two solar panels in parallel (ideally) or have both panels in sun.