Would anyone here consider switching to a phone like this?

Going back to our roots, I like it. :joy:

Made in Taiwan too :wink: The current F91W are made in China now. :neutral_face:

1 Like

ā€œHidden Featureā€ to check if itā€™s an authentic F91 it will display CASIO after holding the bottom right button over 3 seconds, as they are highly knocked off surprisingly.

1 Like

Now you said that, Iā€™m not that surprised. Casio do make good quality cheap watches, esp in the sun Ā£10/$10 range. Have to say, I never knew that trick.

lol, I know in a tight arse or am I crafty! lol

Hereā€™s my pride n joy ā€¦

2 Likes

This is a real watchšŸ˜Ž

1 Like

One of the features I use less in my smartphone is the phoneā€¦ So much so I would be up to a data only phone plan if there was one. Not that Iā€™m on social networks all the time. I donā€™t even have the Facebook app on my phone. I do communicate a lot with my friends and family, by text, voice and video, using chat applications such as WhatsApp and Facetime. Since I live in a different country than most of my friends and family, having the tech to keep in touch is essential. I dated my now wife long-distance for a couple of years, we wouldnā€™t be able to do it without Skype and text messages - it was in the pre-smartphone era. When I do am in the physical presence of my loved ones, they have my full attention and the phone stays on silent - as a matter of fact, my phone is always on silent. When Iā€™m hiking, which I do as often as I can, I use my camera to take the good pictures, and my phone to take the ones I want to show people right away, but only after I spend enough time admiring the view. I also read a lot on my phone, news and books alike, because even when I donā€™t have my eReader with me - which I usually do - I can access my books and news sources from the phone and catch up while on the subway.

We have this tendency to demonize the smartphones - or the smart anything for that matter - just like we used to demonize several other technological leaps. Mind you, Greek philosophers were worried about the uprising in literacy, because, according to them, writing things down would decrease our reliability in our own memories. So, itā€™s not a new discussion. Itā€™s a fact that many people misuse the tech we have available and end up sucked into the virtual world. But thatā€™s their fault, not the tech. Smartphones are but a tool, neither good or bad in itself. Itā€™s the use of the tool that defines its quality. I believe I make good use of my smartphone, and I can be closer to my friends and family because of it.

So, no, I wouldnā€™t switch to a phone like this, regardless of the price. I would rather be behind some initiative to change the behaviour of those who misuse the technology and grow apart from human contact because of it.

3 Likes

I used to have the Casio calculator watches when I was a kid

3 Likes

Hilarious. 1st joke on this thread, then ā€¦ if you keep watching gets back to this thread a couple of times.

2 Likes

:joy: Boot full of encyclopedias :joy:

1 Like

Only one of mine passed the Casio testā€¦ I keep two so that I donā€™t have to switch to daylight savings time.

3 Likes

Now it would be nice to see how long the knockoff lasts compared to the genuine one. Or vice versa :grin:

actually the one on the left is the old one and is over 20 years old. Changed the battery once! It was my work watch so likely was authentic but was jammed up with construction dust and sweat, etc. so the lower right button no longer functions.
that is why the date is off by one day (leap year) and I canā€™t move forward an hourā€¦It is the winter watch by default. ā€¦
:relieved:

2 Likes

Have you tried opening it up to repair it? Very very simple to do. I opened mine up a few years back as the Light button was stuck, lubed all 4 buttons with a tiny bit of silicone and never had problems since and smooth buttons. :wink:

1 Like

I am big fan of technology and should not shy away from it. 30 years ago I had to work in an office and stare at a wall and squint at the bright sunshine at lunchtime. Now with the Internet, smartphones and smartwatches I can be outdoors and mix work and life in an easier manner, say go out for a bike ride in daylight later afternoon and if work needs me I hear a bleep on my phone and glance at my watch and if its something benefits being resolved immediately I stop pedaling and reply. That manifests as me appearing to be 24x7 available working.

I can read and write extremely fast and sometimes I am doing three things at once on three devices.

Repairing old tech I do for cost reasons, such as spare device or if Iā€™m going to a place I do not trust the security and prepared to allow for it to be stolen as its worth little. For example in Las Vegas where I take my 2 year old $99 phone and my 4 year old $99 tablet.

At a weekend when I do not work, I use a solar powered watch.

I have 3 bikes, all of them with a dynohub to make light and two of them I have a special type of light which dumps excess power into a USB port so I can get home with a mostly fully charged phone.

I am progressively migrating my tech to all USB so I can power them off Powercore and solar. When this Chromebook Iā€™m typing on which I repaired twice breaks my next laptop will be USB-PD, probably another Chromebook because they have good battery life and towards the lower cost end. Then I can detach from mains power and sit on a beach working.

So for me using a dumb phone is dumb, why would you not want to augment your native intelligence with artificial intelligence? And note my income is over 20x higher than 30 years ago and I think embracing and using the latest most powerful technology is part of that.

1 Like

I totally agree with you, I love new technology as it saves me time but I need to unplug when operating machineryā€¦ My work tech and my home tech are polar opposites. My work environment is so dirty that the phone must stay in pocket or on the counter until lunch break. If people need to get a hold of me my shop has a landline(weird hey).

The Casio watches were more nostalgic purchases for me as I owned the same one when I was a kid.

A smart watch would get pretty banged up and I am usually wearing greasy gloves so the $20 watch is a must. I will likely invest in one soon though for evenings and weekends.

1 Like

My watches have always been tough (IE not cheap plastic watches). Whether it was working as an industrial chef, cooking meals 3 times a day for 400 people, or when I worked in construction (a labourer)whatever watch i.owned at the time, was used 24/7. Taking it off only to wash n if necessary scrub with a nail brush, or using a craft knife to scrape stuff/paint/shit (litterally in one job!) off the bracelet. This is why Iā€™ve always gone for metal watches withetal bracelets that are at least 5atms proof (50meters).

I had the first ever digital watch as a kidā€¦ A Timex that you pushed a button to reveal the time. They were red numbers (like an alarm clock), ever since then Iā€™ve always worn a watch.

My first adult watch was a pulsar, with analogue dial and digital seconds n alarm, I received it as my 18 birthday present.

So even tho I now wear a $200 watch, i donā€™t take it off to do DIY (thatā€™s all I can do now). If I did still work in construction, Iā€™d wear it to workā€¦ Itā€™s a watch!

2 Likes

Lol, this had me laughing a bit inside. Thatā€™s what I told the wife when I destroyed the wedding gift from her. She bought it at the Bucherer watch factory in Switzerland and it is a very expensive watch. Worked flawlessly until I started to use it for work, broke down so I had the internal self winding mechanism replaced for $95 bucks. worked for another two years and crapped out again.( motion winding was a great concept but did not hold up well for me). probably couldnā€™t handle the impact drill vibrations all day

She has since bought me two more dressy expensive watches that I donā€™t and wonā€™t wear at work. For me, my watch represents jewelry.

I love to wear a watch as well and currently am rocking 6 watches(4 working) The casios have been the champs and the bands and back are steel. The front lens is probably plastic but has held up remarkably in my machine shop. I shower with it every day to keep the stink out and they have never leaked.

4 Likes

Must admit, while doing most of my construction work, I wore a Seiko auto5. Theyā€™re built like a brick shithouse!

The abuse I must have given that watch, one time plastered in concrete, where the only way.to.dill in the hole, was to STAND in it, just above the knees, bare footed.

Then a scrubbing brush n hosepipe afterwards! Watch never skipped a beat! lol

3 Likes

Nice to see you all talking about watches.
I collect mechanical watches since 40 years.
As you can not keep all of them, I buy, & sell those.
But some of these I will keep to the end of my days.

And remember : ā€œA watch is the only real decoration for a manā€.
Ladies may use others, but these look much prettier on women!:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Lets see your collection!? :grinning: