Wireless powerbanks

When will there be truly wireless powerbanks…

Charge your phone, wirelessly
Charge the powerbank, wirelessly

Have.you seen the new, Huawei P20 Pro… It lets you charge another handset wirelessly from the P20

I for one think this is a great idea. Anker is mostly concerned with degradation of the battery cells caused by the Heat build up caused by wireless charging. That being said I would be happy to buy a power bank from Anker with these capabilities maybe with a 12 month warranty instead of the 18-month warranty.

1 Like

Maybe a power bank with a built in fan/heat pipe? Then again, maybe not such a good idea…

Liquid cooling it is.

/s

I think a couple of oversized heat syncs would take care of the heat build up problem. Not sure how the QI TX/RX would act if they were installed above or below the heat sinks (flat pieces of aluminum) though. Maybe they could build the power bank in a way so that the frame of the battery bank acts as a giant heatsink.

Plastic top and bottom sandwiched between a metal frame. Just spit balling here… Idk It could be done and has been already, well the wireless charging battery bank at least. I know Yeti has made a few, I don’t think any of them can be Wireless recharged though they only have the ability to charge other devices.

@paperairplaneguru
Liquid cooling inside of a power bank ehhh, although the Samsung note 9 has it so maybe… a fan would definitely dissipate the heat but would also drain the battery.

This would be a great feature. At some point Anker may add this feature once more devices support wireless charging.

I’ve seen a couple of brands offering wireless charging power banks. But I don’t have a wireless charging option on my phone.

1 Like

Just good venting and a mini fan that turns on when plugged in or when the temperature reaches 60C. They make very small fans. @ankerof

1 Like

I have a wireless charging battery pack that another company sent me to test out, while it’s good in theory it’s not without its flaws. Charging is painfully slow and takes twice as long to charge my galaxy s9 plus. Heat is handles by an all aluminum case that disperses the heat, is barely noticeable when you go to pick it up.

1 Like

Wireless charging is convenient. It’s for those who don’t mind the slower charging.

1 Like

Is the case solid aluminum or does it have cut outs for the wireless charger?

If Anker were to make a power bank with wireless charging capabilities that could also be wirelessly charged I do not see why they wouldn’t be able to put 10 Watt transmitter and receivers on the top and bottom. The batteries would need to be large enough to overcome the losses during wireless charging I think it would be a perfect match for the powercore 26000 it is just the right size to rest/charge your phone on top of.

I have said this before when this subject has come up on other threads but this type of power bank would be very convenient when you forget your cable or want to charge a phone that has a different port from the cable that you normally carry.

1 Like

Theres 2 ceramic plates in the center for the wireless pad, but aside from that its rated at 7.5 watts and I have only managed to get 5w from it. Not sure why but it’s still painfully slow. Also the battery size is 13800 and is a LiPo battery.

LiPO batteries are great and would make it thinner but I prefer the lithium-ion they seem to have a longer life span. but I could be totally wrong that was just my experience with other power Banks.

This has at its core the quantum effects of how the universe works. Electrons are highly localized and carry energy between highly localized atoms. Photons are more able to scatter. This means in normal matter at the temperatures human are not killed you can direct energy with electrons more than with photons. Photon energy if you do not direct them through a laser will drop off with the square of distance. So the induction process is inherently more challenging to be efficient than a wire. An electron passing through 5volts has an energy of 8 x10**-19 Joules. A photon to have that same energy has to be at a frequency of 1.2 10**19 which is gamma ray levels which would destroy normal matter and be injurious to human health.

A portable powerbank is stored energy, so fundamentally you would need a bigger powerbank costing more, weighing more, for the same energy, relative to a wired powerbank.

The most efficient conversion process is a black hole.

Well you did ask :blush:

2 Likes

That’s said, aren’t some of Gert big powerbanks, big n heavy anyways.

What if a 15000, was the size n weight of a 26800, but had the speed?

Anyways, I just had a thought, that if a mobile phone could charge another wirelessly, and they’re built down to size n weight, surely it’d be possible on a unit built specifically for the job?

That would be good, using magnetic field may lessen the heat production of using a chemical based cell.

wont happen, too inefficient to charge a powerbank wirelessly it would take days

It is the opposite in fact. I have had 4 wireless rechargeable devices and they get a lot hotter than wired charging as well as been slower. You can overcome the slowness part by basically beginning with a lot more energy, which is why wireless chargers do make sense but it makes no sense for a wireless portable charger. You’d be better off carrying a small wired charger like the cheap single-recharge Mini, or two-charge Powercore II 6700, if you want it flat the Slim 5000. Anker doesn’t particularly offer very short cables so I have non-Anker cables for the recharging phone while in use situations.

What is causing the heat is the unwanted induction in the metal in the phone plus proximity conductance of the heat off the charger touching and transmitting heat into the phone. Some Anker wireless chargers mitigate that via making a stand so hear can convect away.

This inefficiency would get better if they made phones with less metal and if the frequency of the wireless charging were to increase. The problem then is you’re making radiation in frequencies where it risks interfering with radio signals, emergency services, cellular, etc.

Wireless charging is about 90% efficient so there’s your problem if you had a trickle charge say 5W you’re creating about 0.5W of heat, but if you make a fast charger like 20W then its 4W of heat in a relatively confined volume of a phone which the cpu 2-6W and bursts up briefly and shuts down cores to give time for heat to conduct away, while charging you’re going to have watts of heat for minutes to hour.

I suspect what would work better is robotic parabolic transmitters which follow you round a room and send a focused pulse to your phone, or ultraviolet lasers but then you’re adding risk of cancer.

Stick with wires I say.

Let’s put it this way, your human body evolved with wires (the nervous system) and evolution didn’t decide the brain would transmit muscle signals from the skull to your toes wirelessly due to the energy loss. Now consider the evolutionary risk of wires, you sever a nerve at any point the length of your body you’re paralyzed to the end of the wire so there are very good efficiency gains from wires.

2 Likes

https://www.kennesawcutlery.com/12000-MAH-Solar-Power-Bank-38518

Would like to see Anker do a version of this and like the jumpstarter with the combo