Wireless charger limitations

Will the wireless charger capacity limitations be updated and put on par with the wired counterparts anytime soon?

1 Like

I don’t really know anything about this, but I would think wireless charging will never be a fast as wired charging.

I think wireless charging will always play catch-up to wired charging. But right now wireless charging is not too far behind

Well, the question is: how does wireless charging work.

In this case the device to be charged - lets say phone - is not connected via a cable to the loading device.
There is a small gap between.

Ok so far.

Wireless charging works as far as I know with AC. So on one side there is a coil which is supplied with AC current. The “loader”

And on the other side there is also a coil, which “receives” the AC. The phone.

So you can see a similarity to a transformer. In a transformer, you also have two coils. One is fed with AC, the second gives out some other AC. On a transformer the coils are wound on iron.

So : On a wireless charging station, you have a transformer, where the two coils are not on iron - but separated with a small gap between - in the two devices: one coil in the loader and the other in the phone.

Now come to the end: the efficiency of such wireless charging is mainly determined by the “gap” between loader and phone and by the coils. Since this gap is quite small, wireless charging may be similar to wire-loading. I think, at the moment the coils are the limiting factor - because they need space - especially in the phone, where space is limited.

But if the space limitation is not so big factor like in a phone:

Wireless loading will be very powerful.

There are even ideas of wireless loading of electric cars: you have a coil in the car (the receiving coil), the other (loading coil) in the bottom of a gas station. Or even in the street …

1 Like