Winter is Coming - Prepare!

WOW! Very helpful guide. Nice writeup!

Also, about the sun in winter, the sun is actually closer to earth in the winter than any other time of the year! Who knew?!

3 Likes

Fabulous job! Game of Thrones is always my favorite!:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Same here :wink:

If you have any suggestions I will gladly edit my post.

I am sure that I cannot think of everything.

2 Likes

Wow, great recommendations and write up.Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice! Strangely I’ve been looking at your torches recently as my little bedside led one is quite literally on the blink as it needs a bang to come on. Rather temperamental really.
I had no idea Anker made torches so I quite fancy getting myself one - most likely one that’s going to illuminate the whole street! :smile:

2 Likes

Excellent suggestions and write up as usual @nigelhealy

4 Likes

Great information… even if I don’t want to think about winter yet! :smile:

3 Likes

Ironic because believe it or not, i JUST started watching GoT…

Halfway through season 1 ahahahha but getting there slowly!

3 Likes

A year round necessity for me with living on the Gulf Coast is a generator. I imagine one would come in handy though in all winter scenarios mentioned above. How about adding the Anker Powerhouse? And a contest to go along with it, of course! :grin:

Thanks for the tip. I do not recommend the Powerhouse to buy because it is expensive and one big battery is inherently less reliable than a quantity of smaller batteries. I recommend changing the devices (phones, torches, tablets, etc) you rely on to align with

I would take a Powerhouse for free, but I would never exchange money for it, as it is inherently a bad design and a bad idea. You’d need two of them to allow for one to fail. You either do not need power or you do, if you do not need it then why pay for it, if you do need it, you need it to be reliable. All the products I mentioned are lower cost and I recommend a quantity, so it is hard for them all to fail collectively. Two, three, four Powercore is going to be a lot more challenging to have them all fail than one Powerhouse.

4 Likes

Wow- that’s a lot of good info, indeed! Thanks :slight_smile:

going to have to get the solar panel for winter in NYC then lol

Remember to use outdoors. UV is the most energetic light it can use and glass filters it. In winter the sun is lower nearer the horizon, more of the atmosphere filters UV so solar works less well, but if you place it outdoors tilted to the sun ontop of snow, the reflected UV from below. Solar also works more efficiently at lower temperature, the generally colder conditions help, so collectively it narrows to still useful.

2 Likes

Awesome guide man. I got this torch for my dad for everyday use. Works great for taking the dogs out at 4 AM. Lights up the whole yard.
I want to get the solar panels for long days outdoors and car starter. The starter would’ve helped last winter when a stranger’s car died in the snowy mountains with no reception and he needed a jump.

3 Likes

The LC90 does reasonably often come up with discounts. The solar and car charger hardly ever. Good luck getting a bargain.

Torches are good when children are about

2 Likes

Yea I got the LC90 during the holidays on sale so out the door it was less than $24 which is cheaper than its current price. As for the solar, it says on sale for $60 on Amazon down from $100 unless it’s always at that price? And the car starter is unavailable at the moment.

$60 is the usual price for solar, which i think is too high given the competition with very similar products.

I know there was a new car starter coming, and when I look at the reviews, their dates suggest the older one is now out of stock.

The new one looks different (big square button shown, the cut out on sides) from the one out of stock

That tells me, there is a new one coming.

Same! I think I picked it up for $21 last Winter.