Windows 10 using 10-port hub to coonect NexStar HX4 drive array?

HP 17 Envy laptop Windows 10 x64 1607 fully updated.

I only have 4 USB ports… so…
I have tried connecting a 4 bay drive array, NexStar HX4, to this system using an Anker 10-port USB 3 hub. Non-RAID.

Well… Some top level folders were visible but NOTHING below that level. AKA folders were “empty”.
But not really! Reconnecting the HX4 to a native USB 3 port on the Envy… Presto! Everything is there and fine.

Is there any fundamental reason why this configuration should not work?

On another system (only 2 USB 3 ports)I have 4 portable USB drives connected to the same model Anker 10-port hub which is chained to an Anker 13-port hub and everything works fine.

Thanks,
—JCN

Hi @jeffniemuth,
The issue is likely power related (i.e. the hub does not provide quite enough power for the 4 bay drive array). I found this FAQ on the product page. Please feel free to reach out to support@anker.com for further assistance.

The hub keeps suddenly disconnecting from the device while transferring data. Why is this happening?
If this problem is occurring with properly-installed devices, it is usually due to insufficient power supply. When the hub is transferring data - especially large amounts - make sure it is connected to a power source. In addition, we recommend connecting the hub to your computer with the cable provided. If not, please make sure the cable length is less than 1m, so as to ensure stable data transfer.

2 Likes