Win Big for Your Best Work From Home Hacks

My Favorite #AnkerWork hack is when your web camera is broken and you only have your phone, so you need to make a selfie tripod out of wire hangers. Here the tutorial, hahaha

1 Like

Changing environments from time to time allowed me to ā€˜re-energizeā€™ and re-focus. So, I brought our daughter to the park and worked from there. She enjoyed some fresh air while I cleared my mind and got fresh new ideas for work. :heart:

1 Like

My workflow is super minimalist. I have two 4k monitors M1 and M2, and two home computers: a macbook pro and a Win 10 PC.

• M1 connects to macbook via USB-C

• M2 connects to macbook via DisplayPort

• M1 connects to PC via DisplayPort

• M2 connects to PC via HDMI

• M1 to macbook USB-C cable also powers the macbook (Minimalist)

• I have automaton shell scripts to switch display input on my mac touchbar (zero cost kvm switch)

• At the touch of a touchbar button I switch between my home computers and I have a USB switch keyboard and trackpad between macbook and PC.

Pretty sweet I donā€™t have any dangling cables on my desk.
Clean Desk :white_check_mark:
Minimalist Workflow :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Iā€™m on the phone most of the day and some are video calls. With young kids at home who want my attention there have been some awkward moments. To solve this I have a folded piece of paper on my desk with 2 sides with: a picture of a phone and a pic of a tv(for video). This way when I hear them coming I can easily hold up the paper to let them know if they can talk or wait until I can mute/turn off camera.

2 Likes

My biggest work from home hack is strategically maneuvering my camera where my boss cannot see that I have not had a haircut in over a year. Sometimes I put a piece of paper over half of the lens and sometimes I just point it in a general vicinity of my work. On occasion I have worn a cap and pulled my hair back in a ponytail. My boss would have a heart attack if he saw my hair!

1 Like

I left my microphone on while I was chilling on tiktok and you could hear the music and the sounds in the background all the time

1 Like

At first I created a timetable for homeschooling to have a regulated day. It is important to get two hours of each subject in this timetable as a plus to the regular hours in the schools timetable. This are for repeating the stuff you (or your kids) have learned. You can add in this timetable also hours for clean up the flat/house/room etc.

Second: If you do a good job and you finish a exercise your brain needs something to get a reward. So after an exercise is finished, I eat only one Duplo chocolate or hand full of gummy bears.

Third: start your computer automatically. Mine is starting every day at 08:00 am, my school is starting at 08:30 am. So I would have enough time, to set up everything.

Fourth: use a headset for communication to prevent echoes!

Fifth: Go to bed early. I stand up at 06:00 am every day. To have enough sleep I go to bed at 09:00 PM every day. To sleep immediately I donā€™t watch TV 30 mins before I go to bed and I turn off every electronic device in my room. Completely out!

1 Like

I have been working from home for over a year now and will probably be working from home indefinitely. Over the course of the past year, I have learned a good deal about how I work best. I really like to move around when I work, and will outside, on the dining room table, in the family room, and in my office.

In my office, I have a personal computer and 2 of my own monitors that I use for editing videos and pictures. I have found switching between my work laptop and personal computer to be tedious to the point where I would hardly use my office. That was until I recently invested in the right equipment to easily connect and disconnect my laptop from my peripherals and monitors using a KVM switch and a USB hub. Now all I have to do to utilize my setup is plug one cord into my laptop and toggle the switch on the KVM switch. Thatā€™s it.

I find that after buying the right equipment to easily use and switch between my computer and laptop, I now work a good deal more in the office and am able to feel much more productive.

TL;DR: invest in the right equipment so you can more easily leverage your current setup and switch between your work computer and personal computer. It will pay off.

1 Like

I agree WFH has its advantages but in general those who do it more are at a net disadvantage in their careers. Thereā€™s still aspects of face to face, politics, ā€œbrown nosingā€ which WFH wonā€™t compete.

1 Like

@professor, my post does not seek to start any discourse as to the advantages and disadvantages of working from home. Instead, I am simply seeking to provide a ā€˜hackā€™ that I, personally, found to have made my WFH experience better and more productive.

1 Like

Donā€™t sit down when on the phone, get up and walk around while you talk. Also if you are on a long zoom call turn the camera off and give yourself a break from looking at the screen you donā€™t need to be staring the whole time.

1 Like

Me and my 2 neighbours organised a designated break time where we met in our gardens and talked with a cuppa.

The rules were-

We met every Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 11am for 30 minutes and sat on the back. If itā€™s raining we whistled a bird noise out our back windows and talk there instead.

Somethings we spent all 30 minutes playing eye spy. 30 minutes looking for something beginning with ā€œRā€ to eventually find it was ā€œReflectionā€ can ruin the break time though. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m not admin and I would fully believe that they do some form of logging activity. We are reminded daily of our throughput of work - although we are grouped into teams they most definitely have the ability to do it on an individual basis.

I donā€™t do it everyday but have done it a handful of times in the past year.

2 Likes

Ever since the pandemic started, Iā€™ve been on the search for that ideal office chair that is the best bang for the buck. I still havenā€™t found a good deal on one yet and the current office chair that I use has a failing mesh back support, which has been killer for my back. Something that worked for that lumbar support that I desperately needed was a ROLL OF PAPER TOWELS. It was something that I immediately had and it had just enough support to relieve some of the strain on my lower back. Highly recommend.

1 Like

Iā€™ll share my two favorite hacks.

The first is to help avoid those back to back to back to back meetings with no time in between. I make it a point to schedule meetings off the normal hour and half hour time slots. Schedule your 30 minute meeting from 2:10 to 2:40. Less people will be late because their last meeting ran long, and youā€™ll have 20 minutes free before your 3 oā€™clock.

Second, with your new found free time from hack number 1, get in some super quick exercise to get your blood flowing. Drop and do 20 push-ups, or 50 sit-ups. Or if youā€™re feeling zen, hit a nice warrior pose. The increased physical activity, even briefly, will positively impact your mental and emotional state.

And of course, have amazing WFH tech. Thanks Anker!

1 Like

Instead of using the internal Laptop Webcam, invest in an external that works well with dimmed lights.
Get a decent Microphone that blocks background noises.

I always put a sign on my door when I am in a conference, so that I donā€™t get disturbed during meetings.
Another ā€œhackā€ was to get a height adjustable table, so I can stand once in a while. This helps reducing stress and gets my blood flowing instead of staying seated all day. #AnkerWork

1 Like

Like many, I struggled with focusing while working from home. I had to move my study upstairs to avoid all the distractions and noises coming from my family and our dog.

What really helps me is celestial white noise on YouTube. It works wonders with focus. My work performance has never been better with celestial white noise. It HAS to be celestial, other white noises donā€™t work the same for me. Recommended it to several friends and family, now they all use it!

1 Like

My three things:

Dedicated ā€œOffice Spaceā€
A Good Chair
Good Light

I do agree though a good wireless headset goes a long way. Take some short breaks. Spend the first hour of your day doing what you need most. I am usually the most productive that way.

My other thing was I set ā€œOffice hoursā€ I told my co-workers the hours I was available and stuck to it!

2 Likes

Thereā€™s been some great work from home hacks here!

I think some people have mentioned keeping a clean background, which I think is super important. The other thing that I think is a great hack is having a plant in the background - such as a fiddle leaf fig, monstera plant, or air plant.

Iā€™ve gotten a lot of great comments on several of my plants, and it gives a bit more character to your workspace. I also feel like personally, it re-energizes/refreshes me a bit to have some plants nearby.

1 Like

Good luck to those entering, no actual hacks from my end just the daily grind :raised_hands:

1 Like