Will the PowerCore Fusion 5000 Recharge While Plugged in Following a Power Outage

Sorry I couldn’t find this anywhere: If I have a PowerCore Fusion 5000 plugged into my wall (powered outlet), and have a mini router plugged into a USB port on the unit for power, if the power fails from my wall-powered outlet, I assume the router will continue to be powered (as the PoeerCore Fusion 5000 is now running on internal battery.

I assume it will run until the internal battery power is exhausted.

Once the wall power is restored, will the PowerCore Fusion again begin to pass power to its USB ports as well as begin charging its internal battery? I am looking for a solution to keep power to my router during short power outage durations of under 10 minutes or so.

Thanks!
Doug

1 Like

I’m not sure if PowerCore Fusion 5000 can recharge itself while being used by something else… That would be a question for @AnkerSupport. Please contact support@anker.com.

No.

It is not an UPS.

You have to unplug and replug or press power button.

Search.

1 Like

Per Support, it appears that it will do what I am asking:
Thank you for contacting us and letting us know your issue.

Per our engineer, the router will continue to be powered from the Powercore Fusion if the wall power outlet fails. And the Powercore Fusion will be recharged from the wall power outlet, the router will be powered from wall too.

Hope the above information helps. Please feel free to get back to us if we can offer any further assistance, we are more than happy to serve you.

Sincerely,

Shelly

Ticket#4459745

AnkerDirect Customer Support

However, I am still skeptical that when power restores, if the PowerCore 5000 has drained its power, that it will automatically start charging and passing power again.

I challenge this. I don’t have a Fusion now but when I did I tried a test as UPS failed. I seem to recall I had to press the power button to resume it USB power when the main power restored. Possibly they upgraded the shipping model?

I suggest scepticism until someone had done a test cycle of the scenario.

I totally agree and accept your challenge!
Right now I have PCF5K plugged in to a powerstrip with its own on/off switch, that it itself is plugged into house power. The PCF5K is half-charged. I plugged in a USB LED light to the PCF5K and turned it on.

So now it is home power charging PCF5K (via power strip), and providing power to the light.

I will wait for full charge and kill power strip power, thus knocking out power to the PCF5K. I will keep the light on to let it drain. Once the PCF5k is dead and the light is out, I will then power back on the strip…stand by for the results (though the LED light is the only thing I have available for constant drain so it may take a while as it is a small energy draw!).

I don’t think you even need to do full cycle. Just turn power on off on. I think you have to press power button.

This shows the power hiccup problem.

I also don’t think an led is a valid test as some different devices behave differently. The example is some phones when they get charged stop their input and then discharge and you have to press Powercore button, a router may get hung from the interruption.

Thanks for the video! I do understand the hiccup problem. The only way I will know 100% for sure is to do the test on the router itself. Unfortunately I will not have access to the router for a few weeks.

But, my test proved successful, at least as I had it set up with the LED light. The PCF5K WILL automatically start charging & passing power again. While all connected, I ‘cut’ power on the power strip. I let the PCF5K supply battery power to the light until it died. I then ‘restored’ power to the strip and both the PCF5K began charging (per its indicator lights) and the LED light went on. At no point did I touch the PCF5K button or the unit itself as I did not want button pushing or plugging/unplugging to have any affect on the result.