Why does no one other than apple make USB-C to lightning cables?

Something that I’ve found is that there are no MFI certified USB-C to lightning cables on the market other than the ones you can get from apple. Does apple not allow MFI partners to make these, or are they just not made becuase companies don’t see enough of a market for them yet?

I’d totally buy a USB-C charger if I could get a 2m MFI certified USB-C to lightning cable for less than the $35 apple charges.

1 Like

Apple has not released the licensing for other manufacturers to make usb c to lightning cables nor have they been able to be certified. Apple likes to keep all the money to themselves, so it cost a rediculous amount of money to get them certified.

2 Likes

Don’t where your from but i found this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-6-6-usb-c-charge-cable-white/5596719.p?skuId=5596719&cmp=RMX&extStoreId=114&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=b35845f4-65cd-4089-8dca-b38df7cb4dc6&ksprof_id=3&ksaffcode=pg269399&ksdevice=m&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyYyzqtKe2QIVy2x-Ch3RVAD6EAQYASABEgIjMvD_BwE

Never mind wrong product

Yep I am waiting for the same cable @AnkerTechnical did mention once Apple has authorised third party to make them Anker will do!

1 Like

i bought a legit apple one used (refurb) or whatever on Amazon for $17. It was brand new, i figured someone bought it by mistake and returned it. There are some on ebay for $15 right now

1 Like

Yeah, as long as we get the authorization from Apple, we will make it!:grin:

1 Like

Now that the new iPhones have fast charging capabilities and anker already has USB C power banks and wall chargers, will we see a USB C to lightning cable anytime soon?

Check out this thread from a few days ago to see the response from the official Anker account - I think we will relatively soon, but Anker needs clearance/licensing from Apple to do it.

1 Like

Oh I see, Apple knows that companies like Anker are gonna make a way better product and they won’t make is much money at first haha

It looks like this may change in the near future!

1 Like

According to this…Third-party MFi accessories that include Lightning ports are able to offer passthrough charging, but Apple’s new specifications do not allow the USB-C port built into an accessory to be used for passthrough charging or syncing of an iOS device.

What’s the point in allowing others to make this product but not fully use it to its capability, shame on Apple

I’m a little confused as to what this means? Lighting ports can be used for charging of accessories but not USB C for Apple devices?

Not a big deal for me. Anker will probably never do passthrough charging anyways and I rarely sync with iTunes, so an adapter would be fine in those cases. I’m just excited we will finally be able to get some USB-C to Lightning cables from Anker!

3 Likes

Same here! Durable and better priced!