Who wants an Anker Touchscreen Lapdock

All these croud funding companies have their own lapdock, they always get funded but usually deliver late and underwhelm with execution. Why can’t a real company build a touchscreen lapdock?

There are many use cases, Android desktop modes, raspberry pi, Nintendo switch, game consols, headless servers, intel compute sticks.

The thing I want to see that no one is doing is a touchscreen, and miricast and Bluetooth to connect wirelessly when the phone makers finnaly get that feature. Make it like 15 inches, offer 2 versions one FHD and one 4k at like $200 and $300 price points. Along with usb A 3.0 port, USB C PD, micro SD, HDMI in, headphone jack, and excellent trackpad and keyboard execution.

Maybe you could even make a Samsung version to dock the phone as a trackpad like the razer project linda.

So who here wants to replace their crappy old laptop with a Lapdock made by Anker?

1 Like

:+1: great idea

We discussed similar ideas recently

We’re all very intrigued by it!

But it still has to overcome the “why not a Chromebook?” argument.

In the above ask for a portable monitor, the “if you’re including screen and battery” begs the “might as well add a keyboard+mouse” to make the dock concept. But the difference between that and a Chromebook is only about $100 for a bit more RAM and a low power CPU.

Agree it makes sense, if you’re buying a flagship phone with oodles of cpu, gpu, ram, flash, to attach a larger screen, speakers, keyboard, mouse. But I think the killer combination would be Chromebook with Video in, hdmi in.

Then when phone not plugged in then its a standalone valid device but slower, phone plugs in makes it faster.

So take say a Samsung Chromebook, add video-in (C, HDMI) and it becomes an extremely useful device.

Great idea. I have been wanting one since at least the Samsung S9 came out. With DEX and other Android desktop modes only improving, this is a no-brainer.

Touchscreen would be great, but I would go with cost over that particular functionality. More interested in a good screen, keyboard, battery life and the ability to charge the attached phone.

I’d definitely be interested in one made by Anker.

@professor Great points… especially since Chromebooks have been so cheap lately.

That’s a novel idea … I’d be game.

Nexdock 2 on kickstarter at 229 usd looks like it could be worth a try.
I suggest that Anker buy one for ‘research’ purposes and then make a better one :grin:

For anyone “reading this first” you can see the components of the ideas well here, where someone bought screen, battery, cables, keyboard, mouse all separately

What is being suggested is this is all made into one system.

What I am suggesting goes different, take a fully functional Chromebook and add video-in to it.

The reasons are down to human observation:

• Geeks: anything which can be done should be done and if its a little complex then all the more fun. These people are served now.
  • Mainstream: if its complex then forget it. These need extremely simple systems. Chromebooks are extremely simple, simply login with Google password and a browser you’re familiar with is there already. No training required.
  • Chromebooks are either lower cost but can only serve lower end applications (a few tabs) or expensive. The expensive ones then butt heads against Windows Surface, MacBook, so the Chromebook niche is lower cost with a good screen+keyboard+trackpad.
  • If you paired a Chromebook with video-in, where when connecting your expensive fast phone, to takeover the Chromebook’s interfaces, then you get what the above shows. But when phone unplugged it goes back to just a Chromebook.

I do for sure it was be used literally 24/7