Which Cables/Chargers are "Made for Google"

I heard that Google announced that they were doing a certification for their products that would be called “Made for Google”. Anker was on the list, and I was wondering what USB-C products they have avail were Made For Google?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hmmm… it doesn’t look like anything has been officially announced… yet.

2 Likes

Interesting…
I wonder why Google is doing this. I hope they don’t turn into another Apple where they must control everything about their phones. That would ruin what makes android so much fun.

I don’t believe they will close the compatibility gates the way Apple does. I believe it’s just a cross-marketing initiative, a way for some brands to take a ride on Google’s awareness, and for Google to promote their devices through those preferred partners without having to come up with accessories themselves.

Preferred is the key word, actually. If it was exclusive, than it would be cause for worrying.

1 Like

Android has started to quietly lay groundwork for apple-esque control in recent years. Rooting is becoming near impossible, there are almost no phones left with removeable batteries, and the cloud is taking control over micro sd slowly.

Seems anymore every manufacturer will have control over everything from phones and software to non cosmetic accesories. Its a shame really.

I suspect “Made for Google” will some be, these cables have been tested and approved to be safe to use on Google devices as Google intended. Such as cables that fully support rapid charging and such.

2 Likes

I think you naided it. One of Google’s engineers Benson Leung reviewed countless type-c cables some of which were dangerous to your phone because of wrong PIN configuration and lack of resistors. Anker has always followed usb type c spec no worries with their products but some competitors seemingly well-built cables could do serious harm to your phone or start a fire. I think the made for Google stamp will ease people’s minds when purchasing a cable and finally give Benson a break. I doubt this will affect price much and will be mostly an effort to force other manufacturers to use the correct USB type c spec.

Actually, Anker had to pull 2-3 products because they did not meet the PD spec and were considered dangerous.

I have two PowerPort Speed 1’s. One that I bought by itself and one that came with my PowerCore 28600 with USB-C PD. Should I contact Anker? Has there been a recall or will the safety mechanisms in place be sufficient?

I’m tagging @AnkerTechnical so we may receive an official answer.

EDIT: After further digging, I discovered that the two that I have are still being sold on Amazon whereas the two that were pulled are not. One thing that is odd is that the A2014 is the model number I have, but the one I bought is a different listing from the one that is currently unavailable. I’m going to assume the problem was fixed but the A2014 model number was kept. It would have been nice if they had used a new model, or atleast the model number reported in the User Manual be different. Something definitive from Anker would still be nice as to the status of the safety in these wall chargers.

1 Like

The newer ones are revised and don’t have the issue.

1 Like

Do you know when they were revised? Both of mine were purchased in May of 2017 and the reviews were made in December 2016.

Either way, after looking into it I noticed that I hadn’t purchased mine from the two listings with the reviews on them, but a different one altogether. As reflected in my edit in my post, I assume because the listing is different the problem is fixed.

1 Like

Good to know. I should have said USB c cable spec which is what I meant. Do you know what the other products were?