What is the point, can anyone enlighten me?

Energy of a photon is proportional to its frequency, UV is higher frequency. UV is reflected more by clouds and absorbed by glass.

At altitude, your temperatures will tend to be lower, and UV is stronger, so solar and altitude are a good combination.

Of course, human skin and UV don’t get along :wink:

1 Like

Ok, that is sounding good, I guess the ozone layer is thinner there too. Hopefully all going well for the solar and with the luck of some sun the next few days, it could well be worth taking it along then. I was never sure if UV was absorbed by glass. Thanks for confirming

1 Like

Wow, great discussion! Thanks for enlightening all of us, @nigelhealy and @marisa.i5! :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Why a UK plug. Thought you going to Everest?

Nepal plug:

So looks like you’d be lighter weight to buy a EU type plug for your travels.

However, apart from the plug, yes its 2 socket 2.4A each per socket so capable of charging both Powercore 20100 and iphone together at maximum speed.

I checked Anker’s UK website, they do the international variety but its not powerful enough to both at full speed, only 1 of them at full speed.

1 Like

Seconded, by far one of the more enlightened threads I’ve seen lately :thumbsup:

Technically the ozone layer is well above you and so ozone is no thinner or thicker at that altitude (excluding smog). The ozone layer is

http://www.ozonelayer.noaa.gov/science/basics.htm

Everest peak is 8.9KM up.

What you have is just in general less air above you, so all radiation is stronger.

Show off…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do wish solar panels were made white rather than black so they are cooler and the pouch was not black next to black.

1 Like

I’ll be taking a converter for Nepal/India or maybe a universal. But the Powerport charger will be used in other places in the world on my travels so it’ll be the UK plug fitting, and it’ll then need to be plugged into the converter. And you are prob going to tell me there’ll be a loss of juice that way, I know it :wink:

A adapter is just weight and another thing to fail. You don’t have to worry about losses of an adapter, usually the bigger problem is it being lose, falling out, etc.

Be careful with the use of the word converter. Adapter is just to get around the physically different shaped pins. You do not need to convert electricity as the Powerports all are universal in the electricity they accept, only specific to the plug. Some devices (say hair driers) only work on a specific voltage/amps and they do need converters. You do not need a converter, only the plug adapter.

A good system to begin with is the US type of Powerport2 as its folding pins, so less sticky out jagged things in your pack, and then attach the country plug adapter to that.

I visit UK fairly often and I actually travel around UK with the US Powerport, a US extension cord and a UK plug adapter, the reason being USA extension cables are thinner, they end with 3 sockets, the UK adapter over the US plug is the same size as a UK plug, and I can use 3 USA chargers, all in a far denser and lighter package than if I did it all the UK way.

USA things also tend to be lower cost than UK things.

I meant an adapter, I was calling it a converter! I’ll be taking one UK Adapter that is suitable for Nepal (round pins). There’s no point me buying a US adapter to take to Nepal as my electrical things are all UK fittings so I would end up with more rather than less as I’d need to adapt the us plug as well. My Canon camera battery will need to be charged up too. I’m not sure I get what you meant Nigel, I might re-read that in the morning, it’s getting past my sleep time :smiley:

Great reply re the ozone Nigel. It def is getting late, I meant the air gets thinner, not the ozone and that the ozone is more intense as a result :slight_smile:

A USA Powerport, with a US-UK adapter on it, or a USA-EU adapter on it, is the same size as the UK Powerport2.

I own that UK Powerport2 and the USA Powerport2.

I think that would be better for you, but for me surely the single UK Powerport would be best as if I bought a US one I’d need to then convert it with an adapter in future travels to say Europe, the Far East and of course I could use the UK one here at home without having to adapt.
I think I’m doing the same as you are doing coming to the UK from the US with your one adapter. I’m doing the same in going to Nepal with one single UK adapter for usage in Nepal.

Night night. Final advice is remember to put phone into airplane mode. It will spend most of its time not with a mobile signal and will crank up its output, draining its battery faster, trying to find a signal. Enable just the features you need when you need them, like just enable Wifi when you know there is Wifi, keep bluetooth off, NFC off, location off.

1 Like

Nope do not get that one.

It doesn’t work when the plug looks like this:

You want just a 2 prong output.

Like say this

A 2 prong can plug into 2 or 3 prong socket but a 3 prong can’t plug into a 2 prong.

1 Like

Good point right enough as both work the same. I’ll do that Nigel!

The update on the solar charger. I charged it all day, full sun, beautiful here today! Turned it as the suns position moved throughout the day. The red light inside was permanently on. 7 hours plus charging. I then plugged in my mobile.

The red light went out, I waited 3 hours checked again, nothing the phone was still as dead as when I attached it.

I reckon I have a faulty Solar panel unless s there is something else I am missing or should be doing.

Agreed, it looks like dud solar panel. Write up how you eliminated cable and device and email support@anker.com quoting order number and serial number. I’m my experience if you prove its dud they just send you another, if you explain you need it urgently they may work to get it to you for your trip.

3 Likes

Many thanks Nigel. I will do, hopefully it can be sent urgently. Such a shame but lets hope it works second time around.

1 Like