What are the most battery draining APPs on your phone?

We do a lot with our phones – social media, video, music, games etc., which means we need to recharge our phones every night, if not more frequently. Or we have to take a portable charger whenever we leave the wall.

For many smartphone users, the Facebook and Instagram APPs are the top battery killers… But it’s not just social media apps that dramatically drain mobile power, gaming apps, such as PokeMon Go, and music streaming apps, such as Spotify do their fair share of battery draining.

How many apps are on your phone and which of those are the top three gas guzzlers of your phone’s power?

Let us know down below let’s see what apps come out on top!

Tips on how to check which apps are draining your phone’s battery the most:

1. For iOS devices, open Settings, then scroll down to Battery. Recent battery use percentages for each app will appear. The device measures battery usage over the previous 24 hours and previous seven days.

2. For Android devices, open Settings → Device → Battery or Settings → Power → Battery Use to see a list of all apps and how much battery power they’re using.

2 Likes

KHUX Is mine. ^-^

1 Like

Good question! I don’t let Facebook apps on my phone but I’ve heard they are pretty bad. I have 260 apps installed. Right now my top three users are OpenVPN, Screen and Android System. This is because I keep on top of any apps that hit my battery hard and use Greenify to keep them under control.

1 Like

The Apple Music app and Slacker Radio are usually at the top of my battery list as I stream a lot of music at work. But what really aggravates me is all the space that Facebook takes. It occupies a couple hundred MBs, and I barely use it!

1 Like

I don’t use social media apps (on my phone). But I do have a couple metering apps installed and running. Even though their makers claim that the app(s) will not negatively affect battery life or overall performance, that’s a flat out lie. These metering apps (which monitor your device and/or network, in exchange for a monetary incentive) drain the hell out of my battery! They also have become more than just a minor nuisance, as my phone performs worse now than I have ever experienced.
I’m just a bit lazy and have yet to delete these few apps. The incentives, which are rather small anyway, are not worth the sacrifice of my phone’s battery life and overall performance. I want to feel a sense of enjoyment when using my devices, not anger and frustration.

1 Like

I have neither Facebook nor Instagram installed on my phone -

To be honest, I never worry about my phone battery now. 20min or so to go 10% -80% charge is excellent for me!

For me, it’s Echofon (for twitter) and a couple of games. I keep my iPhone in low power mode all the time, and that helps extend my battery life.

1 Like

Minecraft PE is the most battery draining app on mine :grin:

1 Like

I have 210 apps but only 88 are of the downloaded variety.

With screen on these are the most hungry
#1 - Google maps… A one hour commute can use up 15-20 % and that is why I try to keep it plugged it in while driving
#2 – Facebook… I run a company Facebook page which requires notifications and monitoring. about 25% per day
#3 — google play services

with screen off
WiFi and cell standby

1 Like

Have around 40-50 apps on my iPhone but the top 5 for usage are always, dashcam (not suprising with 1080p and GPS), camera, phone, music and of course email :slight_smile:

My PowerCore 10000 certainly comes in handy for the the longer trips with the dash cam app going…

1 Like

Interesting query. It’s been WhatsApp and Facebook for me for long time. But now it is Medscape WebMD app with all new research and medical innovations. It drains the most of my battery

1 Like

Usually Facebook is the obvious app for #1. Even when not opened up. Google app is taking the top spot as of now, however updating the apps has been know to take it’s toll.

2 Likes

Android here.

I use Wakelock to find the most draining apps and then use Greenify to suspend them. Specific versions of ROM and specific versions of apps have draining issues, if I find I’m in that problem of the ROM draining then I go back to the prior version, if an app is bad then I go back to the prior version or uninstall.

The most commonly draining app not related to usage is Facebook.

But for example this last week the Uber app went into drain mode, I was in airplane mode on an actual airplane and I’d used the the Uber app before going into airplane mode and it was frantically trying to find out what to do next. I picked up a very warm phone, then noticed, then killed Uber and plugged in power.

1 Like

Hey @nigelhealy I want to give wakelock a try. are you using wakelock detector? and is it the full paid version or lite? fyi my phone is not rooted

1 Like

The free wakelock is pretty good. I use the paid version.

I root to block ads.

1 Like

Definetly Pokemon Go

2 Likes

For me its Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, and Clash Royale. those are my most common used one and i use them so much that i have my phone on a full charge and in an hour it goes down to maybe about 20-30%

1 Like

Pokemon Go for me when I played. Now it is the Pavlok app if I don’t force it to close from the setting,

1 Like

For me, it has to be my screen brightness and Snapchat. On my iPhone I love using snapchat to share my day, and watch snapchat stories from all the people I follow. It consumes my time and slowly will take over my life haha. With my screen brightness, I hate having a low brightness where I would see my reflection on the screen. I keep it above 70%.

1 Like