What Are The Frustrating Technological Innovations?

Upgrades annoy the heck out of me.

I mean… it’s a love/hate relationship. I love upgrades themselves but I hate how whenever I upgrade to a new phone or new camera, new gaming system etc. I have to constantly upgrade my cables, upgrade my lenses, upgrade my controllers, all my stuff. I miss the good old days of backwards compatibility for the vast majority of items.

-_-

2 Likes

I don’t like to upgrade stuffs, because I like old things.:grin:

3 Likes

Transitions from one connector to another. mini-usb -> micro-usb -> usb-c you conform to one connector and then you come across a product that uses another.

1 Like

Windows updates drive me crazy. I need to use a Windows PC for work and I log into it super early so that the seemingly daily updates can install and it can reboot. However, it seems to do nothing during that time, but the moment I sit down to use it, the updates suddenly decide to install in the background (no notice given on screen, except for the fact that the whole computer slows down to a crawl). It then requires a reboot as soon as I start to read my email. :disappointed:

1 Like

@TechnicallyWell Are they specific program updates? I only had 4 updates in Dec and they all installed through the night. I have seen these updates in the past and you are right they can get hung up for hours. Check under windows update settings and adjust your active hours to prevent restarts while using the PC as this has worked for me. how to set up link

1 Like

I could not hit the like button any harder for this. Windows updates are the WORST!!!

1 Like
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sync; sync
sudo reboot
sudo apt-get autoremove

Windows is now only meant to exist in a VM for that one or two apps which not yet ported to a browser

fdisk /dev/sda
d
n
p

(from memory)

I put the work Windows 10 ISO into a VM and boot it about once a month. Linux does nearly everything and the updates are much more in your control to do when it suits you and they update fast.

I have a few bugbears in technology.

Speech recognition. Why won’t it recognise? I’ve tried speak typing, omg what a disaster that was. I remember back in the day with dragon on windows, I think I came within seconds of WW3.

Touch screens. I love them, I absolutely hate them! I wish they’d respond to people who don’t have as much natural juice… Or whatever vodoo it works on, cos for me I have to often multi-tap a link or selection for it to respond.

Fragility. Why is tech so damned fragile. We’re on version 5 of gorilla glass and still you can’t drop or tap it or drop anything heavier than a pea on it!
Why isn’t every phone/tablet WATERPROOF N DUSTPROOF? Its only a silicone coating, but no, like most.modern things they’re made to break so you HAVE to replace it. Even the tough stuff ain’t that tuff, unless you go extreme high spec, not even military equipment is unbreakable.

Don’t get.me started on batteries!

1 Like

I accept you feel frustrations here, it is useful to have the choice of either a waterproof or not waterproof phone / tablet.

Reasons to not buy a waterproof phone:

• lower cost
  • easier to repair
  • waterproofing involves glue and rubber seals which make breaking apart the casing and putting it back together harder and some chance the repair has broken the seal given your own hands are usually not as good as the hand / machine which made hundreds of the units in the factory

Many of the positive features of phone design which are harder to keep with waterproofing:

• headphone socket
  • power socket
  • SD slot
  • replaceable battery

Covers do eventually snap off and fail so a phone loses waterproofing over time. Technology like bluetooth and wireless charging help maximize waterproofing life.

I like to have the choice and happy for those who want a waterproof phone to have that option.

It is hard enough for humans

1 Like

Nothing like the good ole days when things were made to be durable and last for ages. I was definitely born in the wrong era. :grin: I have a love for antiques and old vehicles

1 Like

My cell phone fell into the water twice…and the screen is broken…:joy:

I feel that the new technology being implemented into cars has gone overboard.

Infotainment systems
Navigation systems
Lane keep assist
Parking assist
Active park assist
Apple CarPlay
Android auto

Don’t get me wrong, I personally love all the new technology that new cars come with, but dislike how car manufacturers make the new technology standard on a lot of new cars, they do not give the customers an option.

I previously worked at a Cadillac dealership and now work at a Mercedes-Benz dealership I have personally seen how hard it is for “elderly” clients to learn this new technology. I get at least 1 client a day who needs help pairing their phone to Bluetooth. I sometimes have to spend up to an hour showing people how to use a navigation system. Don’t get me starting on having to show a someone how to use active parking assist :confused:

I just wish car manufacturers would dumb-down new cars and make all the new technologies optional…

I have become increasingly more frustrated with all of the “truly wireless” coming out. It’s a nice concept and I’m anxious for it to be done right, but most are junk. I have bought like 8 this year and they all basically suffer from the same problems: bad battery life, mediocre sound, awful pairing.

I’m optimistic for the liberty+ to come to Amazon this month. Hopefully, they will be a cut above the rest.

I’d say technologies that frustrate me include non-replaceable batteries, and non-serviceable cooling fans. I have a cooling pad on my laptop stuck to the bottom of it with velcro strips, and I’ve been using this cooling pad for about a year now. The fans make an awful noise for the first 5 minutes starting up, likely bearing failures. But the whole product is not able to be opened to service or replace the fans at all. It’s like they just plan on having us buy a new product when something fails instead of order a part and fix it.

I think that companies that stand behind their product designs and don’t build in planned obsolescence are the best companies to buy products from, in my opinion.

Anything and everything can be taken a part, you can google search to replace the fan. I opened up my wife’s laptop after many people said it couldn’t be done and replaced numerous parts in it. It just takes someone willing to try and the know how…or just guess work like I did

1 Like

So here’s the issue - safety features, such as lane keep assist, reduce the amount of property damage, injury and death. So if a car manufacturer sold you a new car now without it, and you had a loss (e.g. injury so could not work) you would sue the car manufacturer. The car manufacturer to protect themselves from that would have to notify you of all the features is does not have to protect themselves.

Imagine you bought a car now without seatbelts and you flew out the windshield, you’d complain right?

I think that is why once a tech is invented and proved a safety feature, it rapidly becomes mandatory so they don’t have to explain all things it doesn’t do.

I agree with you, I shouldn’t have used new safety technology as examples; although it is still hard to teach some clients how to use them haha.

Part of my feels that the automotive industry adds more technology into new cars because we’ve come so far that the typical parts of a car are now pretty sturdy and last a lot longer. A lot of repairs we do now include software updates, fixing electrical wiring, and replacing sensors or modules/computers. I feel that this is an eay for manufacturers to force customers to come back to a dealership or purchase oem parts.

Even with all the new safety features implemented in vehicles today, I personally think thy can sometimes be too distracting. One example is that I had a client who’s park assist was disable because the damaged a sensor while parking previously. They did not know it was disabled so the next time they tried to park, they kept backing up into a pole and totally damaged their bumper.

Like i said before, I actually like the new technology, but that’s cause I’m younger. I do see the learning curve that some people have with it and can possibly be distracting to them as opposed to making their driving experience easier.

Why not learn to not have a car? Imagine that non-technical different kind of challenge.

My park assist has issues when it is cold, I often receive a notification chime and says “service park assist” and then it becomes disabled. It always corrects itself after a short time

Or idiots that rely solely on their backup cameras instead of turning their heads and using their mirrors.