We Love Testing—SweatGuard Edition!

I shared to Facebook and Twitter with the hashtag.

For testing purposes I will compare them to the Slims, Slims+, and the spirit. I will also test build quality, connectivity, and sound quality for music and voice.

Since our Texas weather will be around or over 100 degrees outside, I will run some outdoor tests to see how well they hold to work out in the heat. I will also test by sitting in my gym’s sauna and see how well they preform/sound in my ears as they heat up in the room and drip sweat all over them.

Testing environments will be…

• Indoor gym workout - About an hour to 2 hour workout (several of them). The workout will be cardio, squats/deadlifts and upper body works.
  • Outdoor workout - Running, walking and stair climb
  • Shower Tests - 5 minutes or more flowing over the earbuds
  • Yardwork - Tractor work, gardening, and other manual labor activities

I’m also thinking about doing do the extreme SweatGuard Immersion Test. I just need to figure how to record the video.

Also as always I will provide product photography and the review will be posted to my website, this forum, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Flickr.

2 Likes

My SweatGuard Immersion Test will include:

• daily bus commute- will they fall out when I’m racing and sweating to catch my bus? Can they block out noisy buses and my fellow commuters?
  • desk work- will they send the message that I’m busy trying to finish something so don’t interrupt me?
  • nightly walks- will the sound quality help me hear both my podcarts and my streaming music? Are the buttons so intuitive that I can operate them without looking?
  • charging- how long will they take to charge up? Will I fumble and break off the charging door? How many days will the charge last?
  • housework- will the superior fit cause me to ditch my bluetooth over-ear cans and brand X bluetooth earbuds to make the Spirit X30 my new daily driver all day and all night?

As a long-time Anker fan and Amazon tech reviewer, I believe that I have the experience and tools to test out these new earphones from Anker. The earbuds/headphones I have reviewed in the past generally go through the same process: I analyze the packaging, build quality, comfort, sound quality, and extra features (in that order).

Packaging is relatively simple: were the earbuds well-presented and free from damage? If the answer is yes, I will usually move on from there.

As far as build quality goes, I can usually tell from experience if a pair of earbuds is well-built. The earbuds’ weight, cable length/type, paint, finish, etc. all play a role in this category.

To test the comfort of the earbuds, I simply use them for an extended period of time (1-2 hours). I’ve learned that earbuds will often be obviously comfortable or uncomfortable from the get-go (unlike some headphones that take a while), but I like to do a extended time-test just to truly test them. In my experience, this is a tough category to nail.

Sound quality is a complicated topic, but I’ve developed a routine that I now swear by. I listen to three song samples on the earbuds, all of which have drastically different sound signatures. I’ll then listen to the same songs on two other pairs of earbuds (one that is similarly-priced and another than is more expensive). This allows me to get an unbiased and holistic view of the sound quality.

Usually earbuds don’t have many special features besides a built in mic or in-line controls, but the Spirit X’s are a bit different! The special feature category for these earbuds would require me to complete the SweatGuard Immersion Test - basically soak them in whatever liquids I can find. I’ll probably do a timed water submerge test, spill some juice on them, and take them to the gym with me so I can truly test the SweatGuard promise.

I’m excited to have the opportunity to potentially review these earbuds! Anker hasn’t disappointed me yet, so I don’t expect this to be any different.

Good to see lots of newcomers enter this comp :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found out earlier today I have a business trip last week in July, would be able to test a pair of the spirits pretty will if I could get them by then. Will be in an outdoor testing grounds in saint louis missouri, 9 to 10 hours a day outside-only under presumably high heat and humidity.
Under those conditions I would expect to be pretty hard on sweating and battery usage, while also trying to charge as quick as possible for minimal downtime.
I would only be able to test under standard conditions any other week, so wouldnt be anything special unless I had them for my trip.

Good luck to anyone that gets selected

Congratulations to all 30 testers! I look forward to reading and watching the reviews!

Congrats to the selected testers…looking forward to each persons take on the earbuds…

1 Like

Thanks for opportunity to review the product. The ingredients for my “fake sweat” have been purchased. Looking forward to making the video. I just have to get my audio equipment setup in my office again. Looking forward to it.

Thanks!

1 Like

Congrats to the testers! It’s nice to see a mix of known active users and newcomers. Looking forward to reading all the reviews!

Anyone know how acidic/alkaline sweat is?

Thanks @AnkerOfficial :heart_eyes:

Quick search indicates acidity of sweat generally between 4.5 and 7. Its a pretty large zone so if you are doing a “fake” sweat bath id go somewhere in between for a generality.

1 Like

I’m not doing a fake sweat bath. I was just asking out of interest.

I dont need fake sweat! Once them buds go in my ears on a warm day, they’ll get sweaty.

Our headphones will definitely survive in your ear!:laughing:

2 Likes

We shall find out! lol

@AnkerOfficial I received the welcome email to test the product. The email has very specific instructions on how to perform the review. I am a little confused as to whether or not we perform our testing that we proposed in the thread that awarded us the opportunity or do we strictly follow the instructions in the email sent to us?

Thanks,
Moracho

The email is a guideline in case you never tested or reviewed products before. I would perform the test you stated and and keep the guideline in mind when writing the review so you touch on all points it ask for

1 Like

Like the others…Do we do the test that you stated with the salt water or do we do our tests that we outlined in the blog here. Thanks.

To be clear…

If as a winner you’re not sure how to test, or what to do, to test, it’s easy… Your entry is what you do. THAT’S WHY YOU WON.

So if you promised to swim 5 meters in pink custard, then you got to do it, and prove via photos (approx 4 should be enough, more is better tho).

Pure EXAMPLE
I received item A, describe what it looked like n photo
Talk about specs if you wish
main event The test… talk about what you’re planning, what you’re expecting to happen (photo of set up). Describe how it went (one reviewer took photos of themselves in the shower, proving waterproofness of the headphones)
result of test talk how it went, we’re you surprised etc

This is JUST my idea to help the nubes

When you receive the email, it’s purely a rough guide to testing n reviewing… not instructions.

2 Likes

My name is listed in the lucky winners :slight_smile: list, however I have still not received any email for the product testing or shipping details, @AnkerOfficial can you please help, thanks!