We Love Testing | PowerPort Atom PD 1

I wonder what effect this has… (?).

Oddpy enough the PPS spec is listed as a feature in PD 3.0. Its a step down of current with maintaining voltage as charging gets closer to 100%. Basically it is lower heat, although the GAN components may negate this even if the Atom doesnt have it (though i suspect it might). The design an folding plug con is just stupid… Rather it works better than looks “pretty”.

2 Likes

Folding pins is a pro/con issue. Personally for this form factor I prefer folding pins as this is a more travel charger and it spends a lot of time next to something in a bag which would appreciate the non-gouging benefit of recessed pins. But folding pin designs are easier to fall out the socket. So I think these are for home probably and then why does size matter for something which doesn’t move…

It is pretty clear the designer here was thinking of a global deployment, the non-folding design is a press-on glued simple pin which can be a different press-on pin shape for UK, EU. Folding pin design is pretty much unique to USA or you’re talking swappable slide-on-clip type pin which is physically bigger. So in this case they traded global roll-out first over folding.

I’ve expressed my views that size matters less the smaller the size is, so size matters little in these lower wattage products. Size matters more when we’re looking at the 45W, 60W, 100W and if you looked they are huge and where we still need the greatest electronics innovation. So imagine this size and say 45W. That would actually power my laptop.

There USB meter, I want that!

3 Likes

Thanks for your detailed post. It gives some insight on the whole folding/non-folding pins debate

I just received email notification that my PowerPort Atom PD 1 has shipped and should arrive in 5-7 business days.

2 Likes

Got the same email early this morning. Luckily I will be receiving mine tomorrow :sunglasses:

2 Likes

So you got a separate email with tracking info as well?

I got an email but no tracking info.

1 Like

Yes sir about 6 hours after the first

1 Like

I ended up receiving mine on Monday, and oh boy is it small!

does it come with charging cable?

403 error so updating this @joshuad11

This is very strange. Recently Aukey sent me 3 items to test (20000 mAh battery pack with 4 outputs and 3 inputs (lightning, usb c and microusb), a 18 watt usb pd ac adapter and a wireless charger). They didn’t sent any pd to pd cable so the ac adapter is pretty useless. Love the battery pack though :slight_smile:
I don’t get it, why there is no charging cable with a pd charger (like pd cables are laying around everywhere).

No, it does not.

Anker includes cables with all of their PowerCores and PowerWaves, but not their PowerPorts. I am totally fine with that.

Still don’t have mine :cry:

I just received mine late yesterday, time to put it through the paces!

1 Like

Hello @AnkerOfficial, my full review has been posted in this thread:

1 Like

Here’s my review. Will be updated with testing on an iPhone 7 Plus when my Anker lightning charger arrives. :smiley: @AnkerOfficial

2 Likes

@Mike_Howells Great Review! I am a tad bit confused why with a stock motorola charger it takes the same amount of time to charge as with a GaN charger. What is the form factor of the stock Motorola charger? Twice as big, probably same wattage output?

Motorolas use either a 15w, 28w, or 30w turbo charger. My Motorola Moto X Pure edition came with a 28w turbo charger so for something like that the Atom would be comparable in terms of speed. Most notably Ankers claim about charging your phone up to 2.5 times faster is more in line with Apple products that use stock chargers

1 Like

This is why an “IQ3” multiport charger makes most sense. You might have a device which cannot take 30W so you might use 2 or 3 ports which collectively benefit from 30W, some may be PD, some may be Quickcharge, some might just need 10W, some might want 1W (buds).

A USB-C port is physically tiny so make a 30W 2 port, or 45W 3 port, 60W 4 port is the obvious sweetspots. 30W, 45W for sure can be wall-socket type, the 60W, and 100W more for a C19 cable as they’ll probably fall out the socket with weight.

If electronically a single IQ3 port which can auto-sense QC, PD and “other” is too difficult then specific ports and a priority of how to hand out power, e.g. a PD port and a USB-C non-PD IQ2 and a A IQ2. I’d personally prefer if they gave the non-PD ports say 10W and balance to PD if you used all ports, but that is where personal preference kicks in.

1 Like