The Soundcore Flare is my preferred device to test, though I can test applicable categories for the Motion Q.
Reviews of speakers and related audio devices are unavoidably influenced by the inherently subjective nature of an individual's perception of sound. While it may be difficult to generalize my own opinions on the sonic quality of any speaker due to personal biases for certain EQ profiles, there are several categories where the speaker can be objectively tested. These categories are based both on features that are specifically touted for the Flare (and Motion Q) and general aspects shared by all Bluetooth speakers.
Quantifiable tests will be denoted and detailed with bullet points.
All categories that I am testing will be judged relative to other speakers I have experience using, including the Sony XB10, JBL Charge 3, UE Boom 2, and Anker Classic speakers.
Details of my review of the Soundcore Flare Speaker:
1. UNBOXING: I will first detail the unboxing experience, including my initial thoughts on aesthetics and functionality of packaging and design of the speaker and parts that come with it. Based on the packaging of other products from Anker, I don't think I'll have any criticisms at this stage.
2. CONNECTIVITY: I will test speed at which the speaker connects to my mobile device or computer.
- Average pairing time with different devices, 10 trials per device, measured in seconds.
3. BLUETOOTH RANGE: I will test the range of the Bluetooth connection of the speaker, through both air and walls.
- Measured in feet from speaker.
4. APP: I will review the Soundcore app, ensuring the user interface is intuitive and functional.
5. VOLUME: I will test the minimum and maximum volume that the device is capable of in various environments, outdoor and indoor, with and without background noise. I will be listening for any sound distortion at high volumes.
- Maximum volume will be measured with a decibel meter installed on a smartphone from a standardized distance of 1 foot.
6. SOUND QUALITY: I will give my opinion on the sound quality of the speaker (testing the clarity at various volumes and locations, including at indoor and outdoor social gatherings), testing with various genres of music as well as podcasts, videos, etc. Genres of music will include electronic, classical (orchestral and opera), jazz, pop, hip-hop, and r&b. Of course, I will be testing the BassUp Mode that is advertised. I will listen for clear representation of different instruments within music, lack of artifacts and distortion, and quality of bass, mid, and treble.
7. LIGHTING: I will test the visibility of the lighting system on the bottom of the Flare in both sunny and dark conditions, as well as give comments on the aesthetic value of such a system.
8. BATTERY LIFE: I will test the battery life of the speaker, running it at a realistically high volume for as long as it will last.
- The battery is stated to last 12 hours on a charge. I will run the speaker from full to no charge at both max volume and a volume appropriate for listening alone or with a small group to test this claim.
9. WATERPROOFING: I will test the water resistant qualities of the speaker at various environments including pool and beach (freshwater). I will conduct a submersion test that will far exceed what the speaker is expected to withstand in normal use.
- The test will reflect the speaker's rating of IPX7, submerging it in water 1 meter deep for 30 minutes. The speaker will be on during this time.
10. SHOCK RESISTANCE: While this applies more to the Motion Q speaker, I will comment on the portability of the speaker and reactivity to bumps and shocks.
- This test will consist of a drop from 2 feet onto a wood floor. Because the Flare speaker is not advertised to be shock resistant in any way, I designed the test to be reflective of normal use.
- Additionally, I will be transporting the speaker by backpack and strapped to the back of a bike, which will provide for further testing for shock resistance.
The review will be posted on Amazon, where I presume the most business for Anker is conducted.
I ensure that I will format the review in a clear yet detailed manner and clearly explain the testing methodology to readers, as I have in this proposal.
As both a consumer that has experience using various speakers and headphones and a performer with several years of choral and orchestral experience, I believe I would be a worthy judge of the sound quality of Soundcore speakers. It would be my pleasure to conduct this test and subsequent review on behalf of Anker.