Video Review: New Anker PowerPort with 1 Power Delivery and 4 PowerIQ ports

I tested out the latest Anker PowerPort with 1 USB-C PD port and 4 PowerIQ ports.

Some notes from me review:

• It fast charges my Nintendo Switch (15V) and Samsung Galaxy Book (20V)
  • I like the new design, although the blue USB ports may be confused with QuickCharge (which they are not)
  • My Acer ChromeBook R13 doesn’t seem to fast charge, which I believe is because of the 30W limit on the PD port (my Chromebook wants 45W)
8 Likes

Excellent review as always Ryan @TechnicallyWell . Highlighting of the tech specs, in use scenarios and of course, a meter :smiley:

1 Like

Good job, keep them reviews coming

1 Like

Nice review!

I find it very interesting that it is not any smaller than the last gen!

Would you recommend this to anyone or just the last gen?

1 Like

Good question. Functionally, the seem to work pretty much the same, so I say go with whichever one is on sale at the time.
However, if they were priced exactly the same, I would go with the new one based on appearance (I’m a sucker for blue LED lights :smile:)

2 Likes

I take it blue is your favorite color?

:joy: Good guess!

1 Like

Very informative as usual Ryan.

So what this is telling me there is still a real risk if I were to buy a USB-PD input device it might not like the Anker USB-PD output?

Also I think where we are now in late 2017 it should have been two USB-C and 3 Type A because along with a USB-PD charger you may find also owning a USB-PD powerbank and plug both to recharge. The Type-A would be say for BT buds and a phone.

60W total is probably plenty enough but really if you used just one USB-PD it should be output 60W, if you used both USB-PD on the recommended future product they fight over 60W so say each get 30W, and if you used the other 3 Type-A they get upto 10W which then leaves less for the PD ports.

There has never been a justification from Anker to be so backwards in USB-PD, I can only guess the demand is so weak, the challenges are too high, it is still a changing technology, so Anker is prioritizing other such as QC in IQ2.

1 Like

The prior version was on sale a lot lower price than the newer one so if they are electrically and size weight identical then based on your review it is obvious which to buy at the next discount.

Also it appears when Anker first upload to Amazon it is being done always with some error in this case size.

Another good question! After looking over the manual for my Acer Chromebook R13, it does not state that the USB-C charging implemented in this Chromebook is specifically “Power Delivery”. The manual also gives the standard disclaimer to “only use the supplied charger” (the OEM charger outputs 15V 3A compared to the 15V 2A on the Anker charger). While 15V a 3A is not outside of the PD specs, I guess it’s possible that Acer didn’t implement some type of “fall back” to 2A or 1A if 3A is not available, which is why they recommend only the OEM charger.

Hey @TechnicallyWell do you ever charge your R13 with Anker power banks? I recently started using an R13 and plugged it into a Anker PowerCore II 20,000 and got the message that the power source was too low for battery charging and use at the same time - apparently the chromebook would charge when it’s off. Have you got a power bank you use with the R13 - if so which is it?

Also is that a drok meter? I think I need one.

Nice review! Thanks :slight_smile:

That is literally the dumbest decision by Acer if that is true. To use a generic open standard port like USB-C and then use a custom power protocol just creates expectations which creates purchase decisions which can be wrong.

Typed on an Toshiba Chromebook 2 on its 3rd screen and 2nd battery and when it dies I’d then be looking at a USB-PD similar concept where consolidation of cables and chargers is worthwhile and where Anker is a natural player. When I travel currently it is with a Pixel C 5V 3A and I recharge it with the USB-C Powerport5 which gives 5V 2.6A (metered) which is close enough, but to keep that Pixel C going a long as possible it spends when at home stored in a cool dark place at 50% battery charge and I just boot it prior to travel to update s/w. When it dies, it might be by then the Chromebook which in the future runs Android is then the road warrior’s laptop.

2 Likes

I’ve tried it with a standard PowerIQ port on both Anker’s desktop and power banks and found that the R13 will draw 5V at 2A, which gives the “low power” message but still allows a slow charge while it’s off. It seems to reduce the discharge rate while in use as well.

The Chromebook will charge overnight while it’s off/sleeping with PowerIQ (it just charges slowly). In fact, this is typically how I charge it while traveling so I don’t need to bring the OEM charger.

Agreed! USB-C was one of the main reasons I purchased the R13 so I wouldn’t need to lug around a big laptop charging brick. As I mentioned to @ryandhazen above, I’m still happy with the standard 5V 2A USB charging as it can recharge the Chromebook overnight, although it is much slower than 15V 3A would be!

1 Like

Good input and points made there @nigelhealy

I think the only justification I’ve read in the past is that they always try to cater to the larger market demand first and slowly progress into new areas as demand increases.

However I do agree with you, now that a large bulk of branded consumer items are geared towards USB-C, that uptake and innovation on Anker’s part into their product line would be more than welcome…

I’ve been really pleased with the battery life of the R13, which makes overnight charging realistic. Just don’t forget to plug it in before you go to bed if you need to work the next day!

Great review @TechnicallyWell !

1 Like

Great review :slight_smile: I’m a sucker for the blue lights too.

1 Like

Looking forward to testing that PD port with the iPad Pro’s and some of the flagship Android phones like the Pixel 2 XL and LG V30.

I do not have the switch but I could totally be looking for something like this to power my mobile devices…if I had enough of them ):