USB-C options that would be nice

Right now I have to carry a Lightning cable for my iPad, MicroUSB for my headphones and charging my PowerCore, and USB-A to USB-C to charge my Samsung S8/TabS3, along with a QC2/3 wall charger just for my personal stuff. If I travel for work, I also have to take a USB-C PD stuff for my Pixel and Nexus devices. So yeah I’d love to be able to simplify this.

I get the size concerns of USB-C port vs Micro-USB port for charging of smaller devices such as Bluetooth Headphones, or smaller power banks. I like the size of my Anker SoundBuds Sport Bluetooth Headphones, using USB-C to charge them would make them larger for at least the connector, if not the circuitry.

USB-C connections are a mess. Between USB-C PD and Samsung using USB-C Connectors that use QC2/3 to fast charge instead of PD, it can get confusing. So if Anker adds USB-C to wall chargers and/or power banks, which charging standard should they support on USB-C?

I mean, my Pixel, Nexus 5x/6P, Huawai P9, etc. have USB-C ports and use PD to fast charge. Where my Samsung Galaxy S8, Tab S3 and Note 8 (when released) have USB-C ports on them, but still use QC2/3 to fast charge. If the Power Bank (or wall charger) has a USB-C port but only supports PD, it wont fast charge my Samsung. Conversely if the Power Bank or charger’s USB-C port supports QC2/3 it wont fast charge my devices that need PD.

So if Anker (or any other Power Bank maker for that matter) sells USB-C power banks and chargers, they have to choose which spec, and make sure their customers are aware of exactly what they’d be getting or what to expect. I wrote a post a long time ago about how Anker’s naming conventions were very unclear compared to features. This is still true today, and will get worse due to the competing charging standards being used over USB-C connectors.

As for cables, and adapters to convert my existing Micro-USB to USB-C, that might work for devices like Samsung that use QC2/3 on USB-C, but not my devices that use PD. :frowning:

This is a mess that I don’t think Anker can solve unless they bring out multiple lines of charger, power banks, and cables dedicated to these different things, and clearly labels them. Maybe the following…

PowerCore = Straight USB-A output with PowerIQ(up to 2.4A/5V), and Micro-USB input 2.4A/5V (to recharge the power core).
PowerCore Speed = USB-A output that support QC/PowerIQ, and Micro-USB input (2.4a/5V)
PowerCore Speed+ = USB-A output that support QC/PowerIQ, and Micro-USB input of either 2.4a/5V or QC3
PowerCore Speed+C = USB-A and USB-C output that support QC3 & PowerIQ, and USB-C and MicroUSB input that supports 2.4A/5V and QC3.
PowerCore PD = USB-C PD output and input

3 Likes

Better labeling would be a huge step in the right direction.

3 Likes

you know, I never realized the labeling issue until now lol

2 Likes