USB-4 unveiled by USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF)

USB-4 has been unveiled by USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF), where does this leave USB-C, though it will take end of this year for firm plans on USB-4. Looks like the USB-X standards will keep changing, where does it leave USB-C implementation?

Link to Article

Link to Article

5 Likes

No link? This sounds very interesting… maybe that’s why Apple isn’t planning to go to usb-c, maybe they’ll just go right to usb 4 :joy:

I love my iPhone but by the time Apple implements it, we’ll be on USB 8 :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Usb4 is the big end of the lead! So wont affect usb-c except maybe it becomes faster :exploding_head:

1 Like

Ugh, you forgot a link to an article and forgot the biggest thing.

Here is one article

The USB4 specification will be based on the Thunderbolt protocol that Intel has contributed to the USB Promoter Group. The new interface will use USB Type-C connectors and will maintain backwards compatibility with USB 2.0, USB 3.2, and Thunderbolt 3 interfaces. The maximum data transfer rate supported by the new USB4 interface is 40 Gbps over 40 Gbps-certified cables. Also, USB4 will support various display protocols, and power delivery.

2 Likes

Thanks @Tank for including the link, I originally read it on the TechCrunch, editing the main thread to include it.

1 Like

If it unifies ports I’m all for it. Just hope they don’t do something foolish with the naming like they did with the new USB 3.2 Gen 2x2. But that’s a rant for another day.

1 Like

It’ll still use USB-C format which will be great, and speeds will be incredible. It will be a few years before we see a move to this most likely though

1 Like

Well Intel finally released thunderbolt port licenseing fees so it’s free to use by anyone now without having to it pay it’s royalty fee. So we may see this standard come about faster now it’s free to use

1 Like

Does this mean that we will see more USB type C for charging ports on electronics? I heard that the major drawback (and the reason why brands still release products that charge over micro-USB) was the expensive price.

I was gonna make a thread regarding this but I didn’t since it would have been a re-post. Anyway, at least they went with USB 4 instead of USB 3.1416 or something like that :joy:

1 Like

USB PIE, Like 3.14etc…lol

2 Likes

Maybe, but it will take a while, companies have to change up how they were building things if they want to change over, assuming they weren’t already set up or ready for this to happen. Either way, I don’t think C is expensive, from personal experience devices with C or C cables aren’t noticeably more expensive, unless they are brand new.

Actually that’s not a bad name, USB Pi :wink:

4 Likes

Yea but they would call it PIE, that’s why i said that and made it caps, should have done P.I.E, they would make a joke and acronym out of it lol. But I didn’t think it was actually a good idea lol

Close enough :wink:

And yes I’m aware PI is the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter.

1 Like

That is a confusing picture…I’m ending this madness because I am getting pinged too for every comment made here, hehe sry

I thought you were talking to me my bad🤷‍♂️

You can unwatch this topic if you so choose :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A daft question… Is usb a trading name? Or is it free, and just an abbreviation…

Just wondering due to above comment… It’s now free, and the usb-c price will drop‽