[New Release] PowerExpand+ 7-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock Now Available!

I don’t think you have a thunderbolt enabled device?

Huh? How can it be thunderbolt and 10Gbit?

1 Like

Yeeeeouch!!! That is a steep price.

1 Like

Nice looking thing a little pricey

1 Like

Too pricey for my tastes

2 Likes

Wow $200! :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Not as much as its bigger brother! :wink:

1 Like

Those prices seem way too high to me :exploding_head:

1 Like

You have to look at comparable products.

1 Like

How can 10Gbps be Thunderbolt?

So 40Gbps comes in, two 10Gbps out and the SD slots.

2 Likes

Thats true at the moment, but my be will get one.

True, I’m not that informed when it comes to prices of similar products so that’s why it seemed very expensive to me

2 Likes

Some of what Anker’s website has changed makes more sense.

There has been a noticeable discount, bundling, of chargers and powerbanks, the revenue from these seems low, which it was usually low anyway around the $30 level, but now that gets you 60W rather than 24W.

I imagine, these hubs at these prices are seen by some within Anker as their next big money earner.

I don’t get it though. Who’d buy a minimalist laptop then buy an expensive big hub.

2 Likes

Glad I don’t need spend extra $200 bucks, I may just settle with a regular 8-in-1 dock with dual HDMI/DP out.

1 Like

UPDATE

Anker’s PowerExpand+ 7-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock is now available to order from amazon.com for $199.99 and should begin shipping immediately.

That is strange. I believe ThunderBolt 1 only supported 10Gbps, but this dock is advertising itself as ThunderBolt 3…

@AnkerOfficial @AnkerTechnical would you mind forwarding our question to the proper team?

1 Like

I’m going to take a stab in the dark here and say the thunderbolt link is 40gbps where the usb on the dock is only 10gbps over the 40gbps link. You have to account for the other streams going through the link as well, such a video and a possible second display.

The part Anker is going to have trouble with is that other docks with a proven track record exist. And they’re regularly on sale for $230. The Caldigit ts3+ is what I use.

The thunderbolt dock scene is full of docks, and most of them have small issues on the best days. The rest have much larger issues. There’s only a few that are really any good. You may find unique combinations that work well, like a dell dock that works well with a dell computer, but finding a dock that works well on a dell and a Mac, for example, is much more difficult.

1 Like

So essentially you’re saying it’s ThunderBolt 3 into the dock, but only ThunderBolt 1 (or an equivalent) out of the dock? That does make sense.

@professor @Insider your thoughts?

1 Like

Sorry, guys; I did not think that this would cause so much confusion. The Thunderbolt 3 port is capable of transfer speeds up to 40 Gbps, while the USB-A and USB-C data ports can transfer at speeds up to 10 Gbps (or 1250 Mbps). Yes, I know that those are not equivalent, but just look at this graphic:

1 Like

I think it’s 40Gbit between the host and this dock, it then fans it out into multiple ports.

To me this makes no sense as then you bought a 40Gbit computer and it gets 10Gbit.

An intelligent hub would offer 40Gbit out if no other data paths, if you then used say 10Gbit USB 3.2 then you’d get 30Gbit out of the Thunderbolt port, etc, etc. This is just non-intelligent division.

It’s not tested, we’re just guessing, the lack of clarity from Anker causing speculation, I could easily be guessing totally incorrectly.

1 Like

What I’m saying is: There’s a 40gbps link between the dock and the computer. The dock has to divvy that up between all of the different I/O. The video could be allocated 15gbps, for example. USB could be given 5 if its gen1. Second monitor? That’s more bandwidth. Audio? That takes its chunk. Network card? That’s 1gbps. It all adds up.

On top of that, certain busses only support however much bandwidth. For example. USB3.0 g1 only supports 5gbps. USB 3.0 g2 supports 10gbps. If there’s a SD card slot that’s sharing the USB bus, that could reduce the USB bandwidth.

An advertised speed of “Up to xxxx MB” or whatever, is likely just talking about the thunderbolt bus as a whole. The other busses you’ll be using will take a portion of that.

So when you pop in a USB stick, it’s not going to get anywhere near that advertised speed mainly due to USB sticks not being able to serve data that fast. But beyond that, the bus itself is only so wide, and lastly, it has to share the TB3 lanes with other data. You might get closer if you ran a daisy chained TB3 SSD.

All of this said, it can be difficult to saturate a TB3 connection consistently. It’s one of the fastest busses available. The hardest stuff to do is run monitors over these things. Two 4k60 monitors are going to utilize 24gbps alone. Then add 10 for a usb bus. 1 for network. That’s 35gbps already if you only have one usb bus.

2 Likes