Upcoming release: Eufy Security Baby Monitor [Update: new pictures and manual!]

For all the moms and dads out there, Eufy is about to release its Baby Cam, the Eufy Security Baby Monitor!

The unit will be available early September, and priced around the 200$ price-point. For that, you get a fine-looking camera and parent unit with nice specs and an special treat:

The camera captures 720p images of your precious one and the room temperature. You can view the images, and also control the camera’s pan, tilt and zoom, with the 5 inch HD screen powered by a 2900mAh Anker battery - meaning you can have it on you throughout the day without having to charge it. As the standard with most baby monitors, there’s also two-way audio, so you can soothe the little one when needed. Completing the specs are night vision and the special treat I mentioned earlier: interchangeable lens. :grinning::eyeglasses:

Yes, you will be able to change the standard lens for a wide angle lens, giving you even more view over the baby’s room. That’s a feature you won’t easily find in baby cams, specially not with the quality we got to know and love from Anker. And, as I mentioned before, the whole set looks nice! :sunglasses:

As a new parent, I rely on a baby monitor on a daily basis. The parent unit on the baby cam I have has a lackluster battery - we plug it in everytime we are not moving around, so we can be sure to always have power on it. The camera is able to capture 720P, but the parent unit’s screen is both too small and too low-res to profit from it. Imagine seeing your baby moving in the crib through the parent unit and wondering “Did he open his eyes? I can’t be sure…” then entering the room to find that the baby was sleeping up until you came into the room. :upside_down: A nice screen on the parent unit, I found, is essential, and I can’t wait to get a chance to test the Eufy Baby Monitor.

Spec sheet:

• 720P Baby Monitor
  • Interchangeable lens system
  • Pan/Tilt/Zoom
  • Night vision
  • Two-way audio
  • 5 inch HD parent unit
  • 2900 mAh battery on the parent unit - 7h screen on, 16h stand by

In the box:

• Baby monitor unir
  • Parent unit
  • Power adapter for the camera
  • USB cable for the parent unit
  • Camera bracket and screw kit
  • Wide-angle lens
  • User manual

It will be available early September in the US, UK, Germany, Canada and France, for around US200$. The Amazon US page is already live, though inactive.

[Update]

The Amazon US link was updated with new pictures, showcasing some functions as the interchangeable lens, and the coverage:

Also, thanks to the ever-seeing @joshuad11, we can look at the manual here: https://fccid.io/2AOKB-T8300C/User-Manual/user-manual-3970500.pdf
There is a MicroSD slot, though the manual doesn’t mentions how the recording is done - if it’s like a dash cam, or on demand.

13 Likes

what good news! thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Sweet, glad this is coming to the market. And while I dont have a baby yet, we do have a cat that will be kept in one room and this will allow us to mo itor her

4 Likes

Version two will have noise detection. Baby cries, monitor plays soothing music for 5 minutes. If that doesn’t calm the baby, electric shock parents to wake up and change/feed baby :grin:

7 Likes

:joy: No electric shock needed. As soon as the baby is born, we evolve very sensitive reflexes to the baby crying.

The baby monitor I have now has soothing music, I can choose from 5 lullabies to try to get the baby back to sleep without us having to go there. Except it’s useless, much like the two-way audio on the monitor we have. The sound quality is horrible, the song will play distorted notes even at the lowest volume. Our voice through such a low-quality audio system would only startle the baby even more.

I hope Eufy’s two-way audio delivers better sound!

4 Likes

this is a great new product line from Anker, hope this was available when my kids were born :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hmm, the price point is a little high in my opinion. Couldn’t you keep the price down by using an app instead of the stand-alone parent unit? I’m not looking for another device to charge either…

Can video be stored on a cloud? How secure is it? Is it free? I’ve seen other companies who have security concerns with the storage of video, so Anker may want to be especially cautious of that (in particular with parents and their kids).

Just some thoughts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

From what I understand, there’s no internet connection, thus no app.

But, since you mentioned, my two cents on the app-only baby monitors: parents want to be sure they can tend to their little ones as fast as possible. Before buying the monitor we choose, I researched a lot of options and read tons of reviews. The app-only monitors do have the advantage of one less device and being able to watch from anywhere, but they come with a huge disadvantage: latency. I even got to test a device who had both a parent unit and could send the images to the internet to be viewed from an app or even in a browser. The latency on that particular model was over one second, when the internet connection was optimal. And that’s considering you have the app/browser already on all the time. One second might not look like much, but it’s plenty of time for a hungry baby to go from sad-hungry to crazy-mad-hungry. But that’s not all. If you rely on the notifications, no matter how much you fine-tune the sensibility on the sensors, there was over 15 seconds of delay between the event and the notification. If a lot can happen in one second, imagine 15 and over. I guess having to pass through multiple servers across the globe until coming back to appear on your phone is fine for Facebook notifications, but not for a crying baby. If you leave your phone on the app the whole time - you would have to keep touching the screen to prevent it from closing automatically - your phone battery would discharge pretty fast. I guess we don’t want that, either.

In the parent unit there was also latency, but of a few milliseconds tops, and it did not varied since it was a direct connection. And the sound is always on - the screen turned off after some time to save battery - so we could be sure to listen to any calls as soon as they happened.

And that’s not to mention the security issues. So far, from what I read, there’s no perfect solution. There will always be vulnerability. And while the chances of one particular unit getting hacked are low - unless you are some celebrity - I particularly don’t want to take that risk.

2 Likes

Good to hear that it will be available in several locations!

I’m also looking forward to other eufy Security products we expect to learn more about in the near future!

2 Likes

Awesome! I look forward to hearing more about this monitor. I researched a ton of monitors before my son was born and felt like I ended up settling on something as I was never blown away with one. We’re going to have another child here shortly so we’re going to look to possibly dump our old one as it’s become more of a burden than a blessing.

My pain points with ours is definitely a lack battery-life and sketchy connectivity through our house which is fairly modest. I’m a huge fan of the products Anker produces so look forward to seeing reviews or testing to see what the Eufy Security Baby Monitor can do.

3 Likes

I’d love to test this (well, my stepdaughter would love to try this with Lyra, our 16wk grandchild).

2 Likes

We use a security camera as our baby monitor. When ours was younger, we would leave the iPad on all night (plugged in of course). The latency aspect has never been an issue for us. The benefit for us is being able to see the camera whenever we want (ie outside sitting around the fire pit).

2 Likes

This could be a very very useful product, and very functional, personally i think that two-way audio is very important, because you can listen but if you want tell something to your son…

2 Likes

Then he can think the walls are talking to him! lol :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Awesome! Just in time my brother and his new wife are expecteding their first baby in March.

4 Likes

Lol, he will think that

2 Likes

Post updated with new pictures and a link to the manual!

4 Likes

Our current baby monitor drives us nuts because of the poor video quality, short range, and terrible battery life that it has to be plugged in 24/7 anymore. Going to continue to keep an eye on when this becomes available as it looks to cross off a bunch of our pain points with our current baby monitor.

2 Likes

Love that idea! I could use an alarm clock that does that as well. Are you listening Anker!

1 Like

With the most likes on this thread, Anker is obligated to make it happen :smiley:

2 Likes