Unplug cables when not in use?

Can someone here explain #2 ?

I always leave my cables plugged in at my house…

Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your PowerLine+ II

1. The Lightning connector is not waterproof. Please avoid storing your cable in high-humidity environments.
  2. Remember to unplug the cable from the adapter when not in use.
  3. To ensure the cable’s longevity, do not abruptly bend or pull the connector. Do not expose your cable to the elements for long periods of time to avoid moisture collection and rust.
  4. Keep your cable away from pets.
  5. Use 99% v/v alcohol to clean the Lightning connector surface occasionally.

Regards

AnkerDirect Customer Service

2 Likes

I have been in the tech field since 1980…that is the first time I have ever heard that. That’s not to say that it doesn’t warrant some kind of merit though.

Maybe it’s so you don’t trip over it? LOL… I usually unplug my cables anyways, I guess I’m just paranoid that a burglar might break in and decide to charge his phone. Hahaha. Nah, I just don’t see the need for it to be plugged in if it’s not being used… kind of like a toaster. I think Anker is suggesting it as a precaution. Perhaps even for pets that like to chew on cords. Wouldn’t want them to get a power surge. :wink:

3 Likes

The apple lightning cable is more than just a cable with two connectors, there is actually some electronics within the lightning end that controls how the cable interacts with the phone. It shouldn’t hurt these components to leave it plugged in, but they do consume a very very small amount of electricity. Basically the biggest risk you face while leaving it plugged in is a tripping hazard. :wink:

If you are interested in seeing what the electronics in the connector actually do, there is a pretty good analysis you can read here: https://www.chipworks.com/about-chipworks/overview/blog/systems-analysis-apple-lightning-usb-cable

Maybe many people leave the cable attached to the wall wart and then travel with it and end up bending it from “misuse” and after bending the usb tip, it’ll fail completely soon.

It is for safety reasons, I believe. You never know if your adapter could do anything. If it somehow has some leakage, the Anker cable could be a deadly hazard.

This man is correct and the reason most tell you to unplug the cable. Even a little trickle charge of current can become problematic for people when they are not expecting any current draw. It will continue to draw power even if nothing is plugged in, thus being a hazard if anything was to come in contact and or short it out [quote=“mman454, post:4, topic:55967, full:true”]
The apple lightning cable is more than just a cable with two connectors, there is actually some electronics within the lightning end that controls how the cable interacts with the phone. It shouldn’t hurt these components to leave it plugged in, but they do consume a very very small amount of electricity. Basically the biggest risk you face while leaving it plugged in is a tripping hazard. :wink:

If you are interested in seeing what the electronics in the connector actually do, there is a pretty good analysis you can read here: https://www.chipworks.com/about-chipworks/overview/blog/systems-analysis-apple-lightning-usb-cable
[/quote]

1 Like

That’s a good question. I always leave mine plugged in as well. We use both Lightning and USB cables. Do the Micro USB cables have current in them as well after the charging as stopped?

I leave mine plugged into the car charger but the car is usually off and the plug doesn’t supply power when its turned off and I leave cords plugged into my up hub.

Almost any device or cable will continuously draw some sort of power whether or not a device is connected to them. It’s negligible to most but it’s still there. There are devices that prevent ghost power draw as some call it but usually those are advertised as such to stop that current draw

1 Like

I never unplung the cables from my wall chargers… I have several plugged for several years, never had any incident.

I tell people to unplug cables when not in use. But this is because in my experience that is how USB ports are damaged in most cases. Something is left plugged in, then something hits the side of the USB cable that is plugged in and the energy is transferred to the weak port surround and damaged the port. On some cheap desktops this can cause a rebooting loop due to the metal from the port shorting on the metal of the case.
On laptops it can sometimes right off the motherboard, depending how well fitted it was in the first place.

Good practise is to remove unrequired cables, simply to minimise the risk of expensive damage.

2 Likes

I did this last night, went to move my laptop and ripped the mouse right out of it. Now that port doesn’t work, thankfully I got my new Anker mouse that’s wireless so now I don’t have a cable sticking out, just the small dongle

Cables in general cause accidents, something to pull. Worst with laptops.

Hence wireless charging, cordless headphones.

I figured it was similar to the way electrical cords operate. We have one of those smart outlets on our home theater system. It suppose to shut off current to all devices when you turn on off the main device.