Touchscreen on Amazon Echo rumor

What do you guys think of the rumor of a touchscreen coming to the Amazon Echo? Personally, I think it’s gonna be a major gimmick like 3D Touch is. I mean, what’s the point? In my opinion, the idea of the Amazon Echo is to talk to it and not have to pull out your phone - why do we need another screen to look at? I don’t want to walk to the counter to the Echo to interact with it.

I was thinking, maybe this is to enhance shopping on Amazon? Perhaps it is so you could see a picture of a product before you order it? But yet still, who is going to sit in front of their Echo to order stuff? If you’re going to do that, you can just sit in front of your computer or phone and do the same.

What do you guys think? (1) Will Amazon add a touchscreen to the Echo, (2) what will they use it for, and (3) do you think it will be of any use?

3 Likes

If they do make it touch, in my opinion it’s just to advance in technology, like the iPhone 7 has no headphone jack.

2 Likes

Adding a screen doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll have to be glued to it or replace your computer. But (i dont own one) I think it would be useful in many ways. To display weather, time, etc. You’re not going to be yelling to the device for the time at night while everyone is asleep, or weather, etc. I’m not aware of the dot’s full capabilities, but I am sure they’re other uses.

1 Like

If you have a Kindle tablet, it can already serve as a screen for the Echo (I believe they call it “VoiceCast”). I do find it useful, like when you ask about an actor or actress, their bio will pop up on the Kindle. Or if you ask for a forecast, the complete 5 day will pop-up. It comes in handy from time-to-time.

That was pretty much my thoughts when I read the topic title. If they do, perhaps it will just be for settings and the like, otherwise the voice interaction feature they plug on their adverts becomes a moot point…

I personally think that’ll be pretty cool that Amazon echo will be touch.

I agree and think it’s another gimmick to garnish sales. IMO the Google Home is superior, and this is just a ploy to steal business with a screen.

I would trust Google and their search engine than whatever Amazon uses. Google is better.

The only nice thing about the Echo is maybe ordering stuff off of amazon. Not sure I need to do that sans-hands.

Q

1 Like

I’m with you! Google Home is way better! I got a Google Home for Christmas and compared it to an Echo. Google Home is years ahead!