TORNADO SEASON - Safety Tips

In light of the first MODERATE RISK for severe weather this year (per SPC), I thought it would be an appropriate time to remind the Community what to do in preparation for an event such as the one that is about to unfold today.

Here are some very important things to gather beforehand.

• NOAA Weather Radio - with new batteries
  • Water - a couple days worth (always prepare for worst case, hope for best case)
  • Food - again a couple days worth (non-perishable)
  • Can opener - for canned food
  • Flashlight - Anker solutions
  • First aid kit - in the case of injury
  • Whistle - to signal for help (no Anker solutions :cry:)
  • ALL DEVICES (Phones, Tablets, Laptops, etc.) CHARGED TO 100%
  • ALL POWER BANKS CHARGED TO 100% - Anker solutions, 26800s preferred

Of course you also want to prepare mentally and with your family. Have an action plan.

Stay safe this storm season!

For those that are interested in the forecast specifics for today (Monday, March 19), read on.

We are looking at a possible outbreak evolving. If you are in or near the moderate risk area (see image above), take the forecast very seriously.

Tornadic thunderstorms will likely develop in far western Alabama and corresponding parts of Tennessee in the 5-6 timeframe and rapidly intensify as they race east. It’s not out of the question we could have numerous (possibly up to 5) PDS (Particularly Dangerous Situation) Tornado Warnings ongoing at one time. The threat for damaging tornadoes will continue well after dark tonight.

Here’s a look at one model’s idea of the tracks of strongly rotating supercells.

Don’t get too scared, just be prepared. Stay safe.

8 Likes

Thank goodness, I’m far away of such tornados.
We never had one here in Bavaria.
But I’m sure the people living in those areas are well prepared and should know how to handle such forces of nature.

1 Like

Take care guys if you get caught up in this :scream:

1 Like

UPDATE: Tornado Watch 7 (possibly PDS) will be issued by 5:00.

Stay safe @joshuad11
Aswell as ithers in the areas affected.

1 Like

If you get the chance, watch (no pun intended) Tornado Alley film by Sean Casey. I saw in IMAX and must say very interesting

1 Like

Compared to this the beast from east is more like a kitten from east :grimacing:

1 Like

@joshuad11 Thanks for sharing this info. A lot people may not realize how important being prepared for this sort of thing.

I’m up in rural North Texas and we can get some bad ones out. Just a few years ago (the day after Christmas) we had one that destroyed a house less than half mile from house killing a new born baby and leveling the house. This tornado also leveled many neighbors and knocked out city and county utility services for hours and in some areas for days.

Living in area with earth quakes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters its always a good idea to have a 3 day bug out bag ready and supplies to last a week if you can’t get out of your house.

2 Likes

Good preparedness tips! Stay safe @joshuad11 !

3 Likes

I live in tornado alley, Oklahoma, 30ish miles south of Moore, OK.
3 tornadoes have crossed the same spot in Moore, and its deemed the “unluckiest place”
There is a white X on the spot on a families large farm.
You have to have a sense of humor about it, but be prepared at same time and always keep an eye to the sky during tornado season. After living here 15 years, you can literally feel when its tornado weather. The birds come out of the trees and sit on the ground as well.

1 Like

And we in the U.K. think we get bad weather :grimacing:

I do watch those storm chaser programmes and think it would be cool to experience it (within safety limits)

1 Like

I’m in New England and snow is the culprit for power outages. Although most of the list still applies for being safe during outage.

1 Like

Update: There have been ZERO tornadoes in Kansas AND Oklahoma so far this year… That’s insane!

1 Like

As good as that is, it’s also scary to think what havoc next season will bring

1 Like

i have footage from moore tornado aftermath somewhere on my phone, let me see if i can find it

here it is. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yi77hg7v558zw1g/moore%20tornado.mp4?dl=0
Thats a friend talking, not me

be careful guys

HEADS UP TO THOSE WHO LIVE IN THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN PLAINS:

A very strong storm system is expected to bring a multi-day severe threat to the region. As of right now, the greatest potential for widespread severe weather appears to be setting up on Wednesday. At the moment, the Storm Prediction Center places the highest risk across the eastern two-thirds of Kansas and the northwest half of Oklahoma…

While this risk area will be adjusted over the next several days, confidence is increasing in the possibility of a higher-end severe episode. This may include the risk for strong to violent, long-track tornadoes, but there are too many factors far from certain to say for sure at this point.

Bottom line is stay tuned over the next several days as computer models begin to come into better agreement with one another as to how this situation is going to unfold. And don’t wait until the sirens blow to start preparing. Prepare for tomorrow today. Related PSA

take care and care guys

1 Like

I put this statistic in my weather forecast for my local high school news show.

Kansas Tornadoes 2018

January - April: 0
May 1 - May 2: 18

Fortunately, no injuries or deaths from these reported to far, and even seem to have lucked out damage-wise as while some were quite strong, hit mainly rural areas.

Weather pattern looks active throughout much of this month, as is typical for this time of the year.

That’s a crazy stat :scream:

While in the U.K. we complain about our climate and having wet summers, I am glad that we don’t get the extremes like so many other parts of the world get. I mean a few inches of snow and we go into shutdown mode ffs :grimacing:

Be safe

1 Like