Thoughts on upcoming Galaxy X

I have seen some pretty ingenious hinge/screen flow designs lately. Microsoft’s concept being a good example. Hopefully if it is only released in the Korean market first it will be to iron out any design bugs.

It looks pretty neat. I’m more disappointed that they are calling it galaxy X. Get your own name. Why do these people have to keep copying each other lol

Bet the battery wouldn’t last a few hours on that too.

Well apparently Apple was the one who stole the X name. The Galaxy X Project was around far before iPhone x What would you call it? Galaxy Deka maybe?

Galaxy Evolve or something different.

1 Like

Wouldn’t want a foldable screen.

I think the S8 is perfect, it’s big but not so big you can’t use easily.

I’d like a stronger network receiver etc and stronger WiFi receiver etc, so that on either a minimum connection is no different than a full connection on weaker phones.

I’d like a more responsive screen, I don’t have to tap more than once to get it to do something.

I’d like stereo speakers n louder speakers. I don’t mean speakers that are loud but distort easily.

I’d like a battery that under heavy use lasts all day (at least)

The camera is good, but I want better zoom options without losing quality.

Give me that and you can keep gimmicky folding screen.

To each his own. I think it’s going to be a hit. What makes you think the screen is going to be less responsive?

I didn’t say it was going to be.

I said I don’t want it, but give me this… And I’d be happy.

Saying (as ya missed it, I know I didn’t say phone but I also said I didn’t want the foldable, therefore my wish list was for a phone) I don’t want a foldable screen but give these things in a normal phone n I’d be well happy.

Folding = moving part = another thing to fail.

“Long run” = assuming it lasts that long. Phones in particular get dropped more often as they are used the most often. Also the bigger and heavier is a phone the more likely it is to drop (less grip overlap) and when it lands it hits with more force (heavier = gravity) which can damage a corner. Check out drop tests. I prefer cheaper phones for this reason. In our family of 4 phones one of them breaks on average a year. I’ve never broken one myself but the kids have many times.

I always bring a tablet with me when I have a bag such as traveling, for these benefits:

• “spare phone” (Wifi only accepting) noting Google Hangouts can make calls from Google Voice in USA for free.
  • I can place the phone on a window ledge and Wifi tether from the bed in bad Wifi bad cellular situations, I did just that in my trip to Vegas the wifi was very slow and T-mobile only got a signal when phone outside.
  • its what’s on the flight table with all the crew and passengers chance to spill liquid nearby, on one occasion I got soaked by a pint of milk poured on my lap by an “oops” crew member (for which I got wad of drinks vouchers)
  • sometimes do two things at once

The last tablet I got cost me $270, has 8" screen, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, SD slot, 4850mAh battery and a fast processor.

My last phone cost me $439 has 5.5" screen, 6GB RAM, 64GB storage, no SD slot, 3300mAh and a fast processor.

Phones in general are bad value from a spec per $ basis than tablets but very useful from a “always with” in your pocket but that bad value per spec means if I’m in a situation I can control to use a tablet I then use the tablet to make the phone last longer (e.g. by it having less situations to be damaged). So owning both extends in total my value.

Once you get to 8" tablet a keyboard case type can be a laptop alternative.

When you combine that with an Anker Powerport 2/4/5 to share charger it becomes quite a good compact resilient system.

I never owneed Samsung phone, every time I looked at specs for price I ended up getting Nexus (4,5 were excellent), OnePlus, Moto (E, G4 were good value).

I usually wait til this guy has done a teardown and drop test so I can infer how easy to keep the phone going a long time, I often do a 2 year battery swap to keep phones going to 4 years.

1 Like

Like you said it is nice to have both when traveling & you carry a bag but I would like the option to have a tablet in my pocket for convenience and the situations where you are not carrying around a lot of tech. I have full faith in Samsung products durability I have not been gentle with the Samsung phones that I have owned and have never cracked a screen. My daily driver currently is a Samsung Note 8 without a case and do not worry at all about cracking or damaging the screen. I own a Samsung Note 3 for almost four years before upgrading and felt that since their Flagship phones tend to have the highest end processors and the best screens on the market that they are a good value and are somewhat future-proof. As for battery life from other models that I have seen with similar designs they have enormous batteries to power the larger screen. Also the batteries can be split into both compartments.

You can get LTE 8" tablets now and most trousers I can wear can fit them, and LTE can be used for voice so you already have big phones in effect now. They don’t tend to sell much. The issue is not pockets but hands.

Not many people I know in the real world use LTE tablets much though, I had one briefly but found Wifi was usually there when I stationary enough to use both hands with a tablet and so the phone is really for the one-handed situations. I prefer 5" but there are very few of them around now, 5.5" is the most common. I dropped my phone I think once and the case got dented. The kids have had total screen damage.

I’d still recommend waiting for a teardown video for any new product because if you damage the phone you’d like to repair or if it gets to 2 years and working you’d want to replace battery.

I am more interested in the opposite direction, BT buds and a smartwatch and much more lightweight options. Which reminds me… I got a LG Urbane 2 smartwatch and I paired it with an old pseudo-working NExus 5 phone (buttons bad but it works enough as a server) which I keep on USB at home Wifi so the watch keeps working on LTE.

Those wearables need to improve a lot, battery life is bad.

Personally I prefer to have a larger screen on my phone being a big guy carrying around an average sized phone feels small in my hand. I also feel that the larger screened phones are a better value. It would be hard for me to part with almost $1,000 for a phone with 5" inch to 5.5" screen. Those fractions of an inch really make a big difference. I also prefer a slightly larger tablet screen 9" to 10" for home use. But speaking of portable Tech have you tried the zolo Liberty+ headphones they are great and highly portable & the case slips right into your pocket.

I was gifted the Liberty+ and I gave them to someone else who says they used all today and they like them! They are good for uses like jogging where lack of wire gives less cause for them to be tugged out the ear but I would never use them.

I’m happy for larger phones to exist as a choice but my beef is the smaller phones are under-represented, it is increasing difficult to get the smaller size phone for which smaller handed like ladies have to use both hands to operate. I do things like hold a cup of tea or a hand rail on a train or ride a bike, plenty of one-handed situations, for that a phone, if they made them correct size of no larger than 5" were initially intended but they lost the plot this last 2 years with phones so big you need 2 hands to operate.

I like larger screens, its why I own a 8" tablet and a 10" tablet, I may even walk around with the 8" in my pocked. But I don’t like the problem of only having the option of larger phones.

Well lucky for me I don’t have that problem and can use larger phone without any problems. I would have held onto the zolos they are super portable & convenient.

I agree the Liberty+ is a useful option but, like with the phones, it is use case specific. I already have the 24 hour battery Life buds and the 7h Slim+. I use the Life around the home a lot as they are comfortable around neck and last a long long time, and when I leave the house I take the Slim+ keeping around my neck via their magnets and put in one or both buds as required when the phone rings.

The Liberty+ is not a good idea in my case as they only are 2hr life and where do I put them when not in use? The Life and SLim+ are around my neck but the Liberty+ has to be in the case in a pocket.

The Liberty+ makes most sense to the jogger and gym user I think, high intensity shorter periods, so I gave them to someone I know who runs. That is the hint from the marketing literature and I agree they got the use case correct. I was told by the happy recipient the audio cancellation is excellent so good for flying - but obviously only for short flights given 2hr battery.

Hope it’s beast. The hype is real!!! Can’t wait

1 Like

I have been getting at least 3.5 hrs on a single charge then put them back in the case where they charge up again. I have some curves with 12hr battery but prefer the new libertys bc the wire doesn’t get snagged on anything and the Superior BT 5.0 sound quality.

1 Like

LOL, I was thinking the same thing!

2 Likes

Cos over half the components are from Samsung!

1 Like

The Snapdragon 845 is going to be the most significant part of 2018 tech upgrades. Better bluetooth will help with the likes of the Zolo Liberty range

I’d be curious of the Liberty+ now available is going to benefit or it will take a successor?

1 Like

Good question maybe @AnkerTechnical can shed some light on this.