Thoughts on new iPhone coming out?

I was personally let down by the new iPhone particularly because it doesnt seem to be the “FUTURE” of the smartphone apart from the added depth lenses that give portrait lighting and the FaceID (which didnt have a great debut).

Firstly, those bezels, I was let down, maybe the apple fans who arent knowledgable in the phone space might think its revolutionary, but in terms of the actual numbers, the screen ratio is actually lower than the S8,S8+, and Note 8. Apple has a 82.9% ratio i believe while the s8 has an 84%. This is due to the unexpected thicker bezels on the border surrounding the screen. True it looks nice, but lower screen to body ratio on top of the fact that the new OLED screen is actually supplied by Samsung, I do not see anything here that pushes this phone ahead of the competition, and in particular their main rival, Samsung. Maybe they should take some notes from the Essential phone’s border bezel.

secondly, the actual size of the phone, while it is 5.8 inches of screen diagonally, you should also remember that it is not a full 5.8 inch that you will be getting due to the cutout at the top of the screen. Apple decided not to crop this portion out for videos and apps and for this reason, you will be losing this portion of the screen until the developers code their games and apps around this space. Bummer.

Thirdly, Wireless charging and fast charging finally! No innovation really, android phones have had this for 2-3 years now. Not to mention, the wireless charging portion isnt even fast wireless charging.

Fourthly, I have to admit, the hardware portion is THE thing going for them at this point. Their A11 bionic chip seems like it will bring some incredible benchmark numbers. But apart from that, the iphone 8 and iphone 8 plus will mark the 4th year that a model stays very similar. FOUR YEARSSSSS, UNHEARD OF PEOPLE, WAKE UP! Let me repeat it in case it didnt ring yet, FOUR 4 FOUR 4 YEARS! oh wait, there is an iPhone X for $999 base. So are you saying if you want your iphone 6 to look different, you have to splash out at least $999? HELL YEAH. cuz that is the apple way. The price is high but Im sure Apple is confident that people who have 6 or 6 plus will probably not want to replace their old fashioned, huge bezel phone for the model that looks the SAME. Great plan im sure, cuz that gets the loyal fans to spend extra and jump on the $999 highly backordered phone, but from a neutral person’s perspective or a person on the fence, this is just stupid.

Lastly, I want to bring that no home button aspect. I was very curious as to the long term plan for apple for this “gesture control.” For people who used the latest samsung flagship phones, there is a virtual home button, and even though the finger print censor is awkwardly placed, this is temporary as samsung is currently working on putting the fingerprint censor under the display. Apple however, was also working on the fingerprint scanner under the display but failed to come out with it on time (so did samsung), and as a backup they worked on the gesture control. My question is…will Apple go back to having a fingerprint censor (touchID) under the display in the future phones? Is this gesture control a temporary thing? I fail to see what they are setting up for here. Maybe they want to see how people like the gesture control and take it from there? The fact that iphone 8 still has touch ID means it is not totatlly scraped…

another small thing is just the fact that the iPhone 8 and 8 plus are the same shell with different hardware inside, so what is really the justification for the $699 and $799 price range? unless you really just want that potrait lighting or the power of the A11 chip, why not get a flagship android phone or wait for pixel 2 and actually pay for both design and hardware that you deserve with that amount of money? It just sucks that this is the tactic Apple is playing and hoping for people to jump on the X, its really a lose-lose situation for people with a budget. HOWEVER, this is classic Apple.

one positive thing tho, that tech innovation that went into keeping the watch slim with all the added hardware, now THAT was nice. HD content that is being upgraded to 4k HDR for free? now THAT was nice.

main event for iphone? meh

1 Like

I have a feeling it wont be, iphone 8 does have a better chip in there. With the chip also being able to handle more extreme tasks however, it could be the same in the end. no one knows until they try haha

I agree, but then I also know it will be bought in quantity.

Religion, politics, and Apple, people make up their mind and stick to it til their death no matter how many times proved wrong.

Wondering, now Apple has invented wireless charging, will they sue all the other manufacturers who used their technology years earlier without Apple’s permission?

2 Likes

Is this true?
If that’s the case, I’m surprised. I figured Apple would be above S8 and Note8. Essential probably beats all, though.

Samsung supplies their screens so yes it is true about the ratio. But to be fair the essential phone isn’t the first with this kind of screen. Sharp did it first then xiaomi with the mi mix

1 Like

Yup, and you can tell by how thick the bezels are surrounding the display, definitely not as thin like the essential.

Essential has a 84.9% even with the thin bezels. so 82.9% fits right in the ballpark.

It is also worth mentioning that Essential does not have an OLED screen.

With the LG V30 taking a 82% screen to body ratio, Samsung is still on top with their OLED screen to body.

I thought OLED made it easier… Man, the V30 seems like it has smaller bezels than the Note8.

I’ve done the same. For me, it’s an in between time… I usually upgrade every 2 years. It just so happens that after the 3GS, I decided to do the every 2 year route…hence, ending on the Xs models. LOL.

1 Like

its the side bezels that puts samsung on top, they pretty much eliminate the side bezel with their curved infinity display.

if you were the take the side panels out of iphone x and LG V30 and cut them up and stack them on top of eachother, it’ll become a nice top and bottom bezels all over again. Basically what im saying is, they did remove a lot of the bezels but with the remaining bezel, they essentially distributed it to surround the screen ration than putting it on top and bottom

samsung, on the other hand, pretty much eliminated the side bezels while keeping the top and bottom. I would not be surprised to see samsung’s future phones have 0 bottom bezel, as there is nothing there at the moment

I’m excited for the new Apple Watch more than the iPhone 8 or X. Kinda hoping Anker has a power mat alternative to the one Apple is going to make.

1 Like

I was excited and still am a bit excited about the new Apple Watch BUT… I don’t like the fact that it’ll be an additional $10 a month thru my cell phone company. Especially when I’m still rocking my 1st generation Apple Watch.

Just as I said what I was really looking forward to them announcing (why we need a higher res display than retina at 326ppi), they avoid it.

What the heck.

So basically the higher resolution is just a waste of battery and processing power (and price).

These are the battery specs from apple.com

X Talk time (wireless): Up to 21 hours
8P Talk time (wireless): Up to 21 hours
8 Talk time (wireless): Up to 14 hours

X Internet use: Up to 12 hours
8P Internet use: Up to 13 hours
8 Internet use: Up to 12 hours

X Video playback (wireless): Up to 13 hours
8P Video playback (wireless): Up to 14 hours
8 Video playback (wireless): Up to 13 hours

X Audio playback (wireless): Up to 60 hours
8P Audio playback (wireless): Up to 60 hours
8 Audio playback (wireless): Up to 40 hours

So iPhone X is quite the same of the iPhone 8 Plus :smile:

1 Like

The iPhone line up is clever but lacks a huge innervation - bit of the usual style of substance. The wireless charging and face recognition is awesome albeit already on other brands.

:heart_eyes:I’m a huge Apple fan, so it sticks in my throat to be negative.

Price wise, yes expensive but based on the market, they are about right- but too much for me.

1 Like

It is just too expensive.

1 Like

It is only $200 more than the 8 plus

Which is what the X should have cost.

I like it how people say ‘its only x £$ etc more’, for some that could be food money for a fortnight…or longer

2 Likes

Wouldnt it have been better to let the public audience know that it compares with the iphone 8 PLUS rather than say that it is only 2 hours longer lasting than the iphone 7?

8 plus has a bigger shell and a bigger battery so comparing it to the 8 plus would have been more impressive; however, they decided not to, which points to the fact that those numbers are just numbers without any real meaning. For a company that never even reveals the mAH on the battery, its pretty much foolish to go by the numbers they put up on THEIR website.

they couldnt even compare it to the 7 PLUS (which probably has the same amount of battery as 8 plus). We need to see people get their hands on it and actually test it to see the battery life.

Also found out today that this “Fast Charge” that they speak of can only be accomplished by buying a separate USB-C power brick. because apple only provides their standard slow power plug with usb A to lightning cable.

Oh, and apple doesnt package their USB-C Power Brick with a USB-C cable, would you look at that! that means you also gotta buy a separate usb c to lightning cable…only THEN will you be able to charge your iphone X via fast charge.

for someone who has the new macbook pro, that means you will only need to get the usb c to lightning cable, for someone who DOESNT have a macbook pro, you will need both the power brick and the cable…which will vary by the size of the power brick

i mean, im dont even own an iphone and im pissed…just when i thought the fast charge finally came to the iphone, people are quietly slapped in the face with this sly tactic.

oh and for those of you who have a macbook pro, youre gonna need an adapter if you wanna pair your phone to the laptop via cable. the dongle life continues.

1 Like