Thoughts on new iPhone coming out?

This is the iPhone 6 Plus when it came out $299 with two year agreement. $749 with no contract. There are no more 2yr agreements. But when you did the 2yr agreements the phone company made up the $450 on you. So needless to say you were always paying the full price on the phone even if it was a 2yr agreement.

Apple has 8 phones in their lineup now. That is too many.

1 Like

When I got the 6 a year after it came out the 4 was still available!

Ouch and after all that money :moneybag: :cry: :laughing: but no doubt one @nigelhealy will like…

Like how he comments "Better dont put your phone and razer blade in one pocket” :smirk:, like any sane person would

2 Likes

I once put a rock and iPhone together in my pocket after being up for 40+ hrs straight. Not recommended, not recommended :unamused:

gotta love jerry. cant wait for when he takes it apart and also does a drop test.

Speaking of Unbox Therapy…

Karapax to the test

1 Like

I love both the videos of jerrryrigeverything and the validity of his argument. You cannot form a robust defensible view from a few anecdotes.

Obviously any case adds some protection vs no case. But which case is best?

What I do:

• I have 2 phones, my “flagship” and my “beater” phone, they are different age, different cost.
  • I keep my “flagship” phone in a minimalist case to handle low height scuff type drops.
  • if I am entering a situation where accidents are more likely I use my “beater” phone.
  • if I am leaving home for a long trip (weeks) then go with both phones.

The argument to buy a specific flagship phone and worry about its aesthetics in buying one based on thin-ness, light-ness, and then hide in a thick case is dubious. In your hand you can buy a different older phone no case which is smaller. The whole argument of cases is a weakened when it comes to flagships.

My anecdotes:

• I kept all my phones in cases
  • owned so far 6 phones in 5 years (note: the primary / secondary phone idea)
  • never broken any phone ever

Other members of my family have broken their phones, I then give them one of mine and I get a new one. Seems to be cheapest overall. I also repair phones, and when I decide which phone to buy, I seek teardown reviews from Jerry (and others) given at some point I would probably be repairing such a phone myself.

I yesterday replaced the battery on a 4 year old designed tablet I got 2 years ago for $89. The replacement battery cost me $10. I used Jerry’s teardown video to learn how to replace the battery. So a tablet cost $229 4 years ago, I paid $89 new 2 years ago is now “as new” for $10. That tablet is going to be my “sacrificial” device to be exposed to risks on my next flight where idiot crew and idiot passengers “do your worse” to drown my $89 tablet in the coffee you spilt “sorry it was an accident” or the 400LB person who sits on something. My $400 phone is kept away from “accidents”.

2 Likes

That video was probably 4 minutes longer than it needed to be :laughing:

1 Like

Who preordered?!

Too rich for me. I just can’t justify the cost of upgrading when I have a perfectly working 6s.

1 Like

Too rich for my blood and with no Touch ID…more than happy with my iPhone 7 128GB which my 6s paid for two thirds of :smile:

Just waiting for the headlines of Apple’s best ever sales for a product, stock completely gone (all 2-3 million they could make in time) :grin:

2 Likes

I have not found a deal in the US that allows trade in! How much did you pay after the trade in? Here it’s $549

Sold my 6s on eBay then bought the 7 on John Lewis (two years included warranty) :smile:

I caved and preordered the x. I’ll get it on Friday. Now I just need KARAPAX to make a folio case.

I wont be getting either of the new iPhones! I’ve got the 6s at the moment and its doing the job great! Don’t think either the 8 or X have any really exciting new features for me to upgrade to them!

1 Like

I’m also apprehensive about having no Touch ID, but did pre-order the X. Will use it as my daily for a week and see how face ID fares against Touch ID for payments and such.

I’m highly doubtful I’ll lose any money using it for a week, given the 5-6week delay to get one here in the UK.

Apple do have a 14 day return policy (used myself in the past), so if it doesn’t workout just return for a refund :smile:

I wouldn’t return it I would sell it for twice as much on ebay because you know people will pay anything to hae apples newest and greatest