The Community Christmas Countdown | Christmas Traditions

I do have one. We always watch the doctor who special.

Ola Angelina!

Bolo de rei e pasteis de nata! Eu gosto muito.

(Pasteis de nata and Bolo de rei are very traditional cakes in Portugal
The Portuguese are really masters in patisserie :yum:)

1 Like

I’m not sure that the things we do are unique but they are traditions around here. We countdown the days until Christmas with candy canes. We remove one a day from a display that’s in the foyer. We also keep the cookie jar full of Christmas cookies during December. The lid makes a loud noise when it’s opened and everyone screams, “who stole a cookie from the cookie jar?” It’s pretty funny that anyone grabbing a cookie gets busted.

Christmas Eve is a couple of drinks with all our friends and all the kids in our local pub in the afternoon. Then when the kids are in bed, we cook the turkey and settle down for National Lampoon’s Christmas, followed by Die Hard.

Christmas Day, we normally lie in bed waiting for the kids to wake up - usually around 8am (9 and 11 now, but have NEVER woken up at daft time of the morning!)

When the kids are up, they rush down to check Santa has eaten his mince pie and drunk his glass of port (hic!) Always gotta leave a carrot for a reindeer too.

Kids unwrap all their presents in about 5 minutes flat in a flurry of wrapping paper.

Lunch with my in-laws, followed by falling asleep for the Queen’s speech - then Doctor Who later (not happening this year though)

Nice and quiet - the way we like it.

1 Like

Or traditions have changed over time as my siblings andi have gotten older, but one that remains is that we always end up watching It’s A Wonderful Life Together every year.

My mother also has a tradition of always getting each of us a Hallmark Keepsake ornament each year.

cash gifts

Happy Holidays. Congrats to @Daiross.

Our Christmas tradition is to watch the movie Die Hard together.

My sister and I fight over the couch (This has evolved into tricking each other off the couch. I have taken her cell phone when she wasn’t looking, moved it into another room then called it so she has to get up and answer it. She is now on to this trick and I need to come up with new ways of getting her off the couch in order to claim it as my own)

My mother makes Majic Bars every year. (https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/63959/magic-cookie-bars-from-eagle-brand/)

We just started doing the Elf on the Shelf with my kids.

Enjoy your holiday everyone.

1 Like

we love doing pajama night on Christmas eve. Right after having a big seafood dinner.

1 Like

With my sister, we have a dog in our house, so you put the dog out right before you want to start the movie, the dog barks because it’s cold outside, and you tell her that you let the dog out so she has to let the dog in. Works every time, in my house.

1 Like

That’s a good one. I’ll try that this year. lol.

Some lovely traditions posted here. For us, while the kids still believe we make them a Christmas Eve box with some small gifts and Christmas pyjamas in and follow the ISS as the earth spins we then have some bells which we jingle when we know it’s overhead and all run outside. We look up to finds the ISS shooting across the sky and the kids will go and find their Christmas Eve package. We love it. Then we watch the dvd’s In their package and munch on domino’s lol.

Merry Christmas everyone x

Probably that we always eat at a chinese place.
Or that we always eat Bratwurst with potatosalad on the 24th.

Nice @Daiross :wink:

1 Like

Our tradition is a movie and Chinese food on Christmas Day. Somehow the movie tradition also entails always picking the worst new movie in theaters though that has never been intentional.

Waking up early to ungift presents while having some random christmas music coming from our smart tv. Finding either a breakfast or brunch place open on christmas day and enjoying whichever we find open. Cooking a feast for dinner and enjoying some great time with the fam.

relaxingggg

My mom makes those every year, too. I could eat the whole pan by myself.

1 Like

My family is Jewish and my wife’s family is Catholic, so every Christmas is spent with my in-laws. We attend midnight mass and then go back to their home to take photos by the tree and open presents.

I’m just happy to spend Christmas with my dad and stepmom, they have been there and cared more for me then my own mother. Our tradition that I think of is hanging our stockings with our names on them. I had a doggie stockings, my stepmom has a kitty stocking and dad has a blue velvet stocking he has had since he was my age.

1 Like

Well in terms of Christmas traditions… I usually just spend it with my mom, dad and sister just sitting on the couch with some hot chocolate my mom makes and watching movies on TV. Usually there are Christmas movies, we aren’t very traditional in the way we celebrate since we sorta don’t really but we still do spend time together since no one has work. In terms of holidays I don’t really think my family does anything special or out of the ordinary, just a relaxed night together.

Congrats to the previous week winner @Daiross

2 Likes

Everyone in our family gets 2 Christmas gifts. We all eat the cookies and have a glass of milk on christams eve, open one of the gifts (which is more like wrap the crap) and then leave a glass of milk, some cookies and carrots (for rudolph) on the table. The next day we all opened our other gift and the kids cooked the breakfast for everyone :slight_smile:

1 Like