The choice of Power Banks / Cores is getting a bit confusing people!

I need a bit of help. First up, let me tell you want I currently have…

…Astro E5 16000mAh (which is still brilliant).

iPod Nano X 2
Google Pixel X 2
iPad and an Acer 10" Tablet.

Now the E5 charge them all correctly except the Pixels. When you plug them in, they charge for 4-5 seconds, stop- - restart changing, stop, restart and so on.

I read that apparently this new-ish USB-C reverses the change or something making the older power banks a tad useless for it.

Fair enough, I want a new one - but looking on Anker’s website it’s just not clear what I should be going for.

25000mAh + would be ideal. Help please people :slight_smile:

Rick

1 Like

Welcome to the Anker Community! I’d be glad to help you pick a new portable charger from Anker!

Your best option would likely be the PowerCore+ 26800 PD. It is the newest model that has 25000mAh +. It has two USB-A ports, and one USB-C port. The USB-C port is multidirectional, meaning it is used for both input and output. All you have to do is press the LED power wheel before you plug in the device. The main downsides of the PowerCore+ 26800 PD are that it is quite expensive and not very portable, especially due to its weight (1.28 lb). Also please be sure to check out my video review here!

If you don’t think that would be the best option for you, then I’d recommend the PowerCore 26800. Released less than a year ago, the PowerCore 26800 is still a beast. What makes it unique is the dual inputs. It fully recharges from 0 to 100% in 6-7 hours with a 4A input (2A per port). It is also lighter than the PowerCore+ 26800 PD. It will not activate rapid charging on your Pixel, but should charge it without any issues.

Real quick though before you purchase a new one, it might be a good idea to try a different cable to see if that solves the issue of your Astro charging your Pixel properly.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have! :grin:

Josh

4 Likes

I’m not sure about the Pixel, but I’m charging a Moto Z2 Force Edition, which has a USB-C charging port, from a 2nd Gen Astro E1 with no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-bar-Sized-Portable-High-Speed-Technology/dp/B00P7N0320

I also use a Powercore II 20000 with no issues:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Portable-20000mah-Recharging/dp/B01LQ7MQG6

I like them both for different reasons: The Astro E1 is really portable, and they have one similarly sized with more capacity now. It’s even a dollar less for the bigger capacity:

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Anker-Candy-Bar-High-Speed-Technology/dp/B06XS9RMWS

The powercore II is just really large capacity, even though it’s a little heavy. I like it because I can let it collect solar all day then charge multiple devices. They have an upgraded version of that as well, it’s on the front page of anker.com. I can’t imagine that not charging quickly.

1 Like

According to Amazon, it is a 5 hour charge for the PowerCore II 20000 with PowerIQ 2.0 technology.

Also, the one you are referring to has been rebranded to PowerCore Elite 20000 to avoid confusion with the newer model.

What’s puzzling, though, is that the new PowerCore II 10000 with PowerIQ 2.0 advertises a 4 hour recharge time, yet it is half the capacity of the 20000 version. The listing also advertises the same input power, so I am very puzzled… :confused:

I think what @joshuad11 recommend fit your description perfectly. I suppose you already prepare to carry the weight when you mentioned 25000mah+. I think PD is the future and it can be used with macbook/ laptop/ switch if you ever wanted to get one.

2 Likes

Anker’s USB-C Recommmended products:

Speaking of that, there is an error. The linked USB-C wall charger is the discontinued model, not the new one. Also, your link includes only one power bank. They are mainly focusing on Power Delivery. There are other recommended options if you’re talking about USB-C in general.

Great review :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK folks.

Still looking into this and we’ve had a little revelation.

Other half has bought a PowerCore 5000 and this charges her Pixel perfectly.

This has given me the chance to try loads (5) of different cables and ways to set it up. E5 just will not smoothly charge my pixel but the PowerCore 5000 does.

I take it then, a PowerCore 10000, 15600, 20000 etc will be a replacement!?

Strange… I am surprised that PowerCore 5000 does when the E5 doesn’t. I imagine the charging experience, even with the PowerCore 5000, is still a slow one/trickle charge (?). In the case that the 5000 is satisfactory for her (in terms of speed and whatnot), then yes, one of the newer 10000s, 20000s, etc. should be comparable, but…

I would recommend PowerCore Speed 20000 PD. It has power delivery, which will ensure the best compatibility and most reliability with her Pixel. In addition, you’ll be able to charge it with a C to C cable that is reversible end to end. This solution also going to result in a faster charge.

Here are a couple places where you can buy it:

• Amazon (includes fast wall adapter for a price of $100)
  • Walmart (PowerCore only for $60)

Hope this helps! :slight_smile: