Suggestion for improvement of phone charging cables

I wanted to pass this idea along and hopefully see a product that can fix this problem. I noticed when using a charging cable for a phone (both lightning and microusb) that I and other people will often rest the phone vertically on a surface or against the body. This results in strain that ends up breaking the cable at the connector/cable interface (yes, even powerline and powerline2). I find the solution very simple (in theory) to have the cable exit at a right angle from the connector. I found a few cables online that do this, but none are Mfi or look high quality. Even better would be to have a hinged connector that can safely swivel the cable to the side. I am sure I am not the only person with this problem that would benefit from such a product.

2 Likes

Personally, I lay objects that are being charged horizontally on a surface, so I have no idea how you are maneuvering stuff around.

Anker and so do hundreds of companies sell desktop stands.

Most are specific to apple or Android (micro-usb). Some use JUST the charge cable plug direct to the phone, but vast majority, have.you plug your cable in the back and the phone sits on the specific ā€œjack/connectorā€.

Or like me and millions.of others, just lay your phone flat on the table, or at least propped up sideways (landscape mode).

3 Likes

I get what you mean.
Itā€™s when you are lying on the sofa or in bed and are using the phone while itā€™s being charged.

My wife has ruined a few cables this way lol

A right angled connector would be the best solution (similar to the headphone jack one)

An angled connector would be nice to have in some instances, but for me the thing that damages cables the most is actually the case on the phone. When you have an otterbox defender or something with docking bay doors like it, you limit the outer dimensions of the area around the plug. Then when you go to plug in the phone, the cable has stress on the top or bottom, that causes the plug to loosen and move out of position over time. Fortunately for me, I found anker cables are relatively small sized and can resist this issue and last longer.

1 Like

There are RIGHT ANGLED adapters about, esp for micro-usb (donā€™t know ( or care) about ipjones! lol).

A company Iā€™ve used n ok (not Anker quality obvs, but not Anker prices either!) Called KINPS they do right angled leads for micro-usb for a sensible priceā€¦ Esp if.youre not leaving alone to charge!

Suppose they would have to weigh up the fact that the majority of new phones are going down the wireless charging route, so itā€™s only a matter of time before wireless charging speeds/distances increase and cable sales diminish compared to the charging pads. So is it worth diverting resources away from keeping up with industry standard - I donā€™t think so.

1 Like

I donā€™t think the cable will ever be removed. You need it for syncing to pcā€™s etc or tethering. There is such a long way to go.

Plus, charging on the move.

You donā€™t want to be holding your phone and a wireless power bank together. You want the Power bank in your pocket/bag with the cable coming out to your phone.

I remember many many years ago, it was said there would be a time when you could power things from the AIR

They were insinuating that this would be in the next ten years, obvs , that was more than ten years ago!

Iā€™m not expecting it within the couple of years, but i still donā€™t think it would be a good use of resources. I mean who knows Apple might drop the lightning connector and move towards USB-C or new propitiatory connector.

With iCloud Iā€™m able to sync without connecting to pc/laptop. Throw into the mix the fact that 5G will be coming in the next few years also.

This looks like the business and to be honest. The cord looks very similar to the braided PowerLine :astonished:

CordDock - A Hybrid iPhone Dock & Cord by Elevation Lab | Apple MFi Certified with Lightning