Stop with the "Upgraded" version of Products

So I noticed now Anker is selling an “Upgraded” version of at least 2 different Soundcore products I own. I would rather them just release a full new version/revision then go to Amazon to see there is now an "Upgraded version of the products I already bought with the same name and even under the same listing.

1 Like

I have a few “upgraded” versions and would prefer them over new ones versions anyday tbh. The upgrades typical are improvements over originals (more durable, longer lasting and higher reliability). New products tend to have flaws that are not found until mass production, take the liberty pro 2 for example. New versions carry this risk, however, the revision is an “upgrade” in every sense, they just spell out the word to get attention of consumers. “Revisions” tend to be harder to identify.

1 Like

Well if they have flaws then Anker should be replacing the previous products people purchased not just fixing the issue and then reselling it with a few new features and a new price tag.

Revisions of electronic products always comes out, though. It would be like asking Sony to hand you a PS4 Slim because you bought a PS4 at launch.

3 Likes

Countless companies do this, and it’s a bit unfair that you’re singling Anker out for it, when each year when the new iPhone comes out it has slightly better specs but largely remains the same.

2 Likes

The difference is Apple is changing the name or version #. Anker isn’t, they are just adding “upgraded” in front of it and still selling it from the same links at t he previous sale."

Have a look on Amazon and you’ll see that nearly every tech company does this on Amazon nowadays, not just Anker.

1 Like

Apple isnt always changing the name. Airpods has numerous firmware upgrades to improve features (wiki shows some of this if you are interested). Lower cost buds tend to not have a way to easily upgrade features and eliminate bugs, so they just release upgraded systems. A pair of $40 neos have an 18 month warranty and if it goes bad when the upgrades are out they replace with them. Its similar concept for 1/3rd the cost.

3 Likes

Pretty sure you just compared Firmware (which is software) to Hardware. And at least with the Airpods they are considered Generation 1, Gen 2 etc. The point I’m trying to make is Anker should just rename them. Why can’t they say its a Soundcore 3 or Soundcore 2.1 or Spirit X 2.0 etc.

If anker did that, that would be equivalent to Apples marketing. Apple throws in an extra camera and it’s automatically called iPhone 11 Pro Max overnight from iPhone 10 :roll_eyes:Enhancements to an existing product does not always warrant a full name change.

1 Like

Pretty sure I just pointed out the difference between upgrade and Airpods (although firmware does require increased hardware to make changes so i did just compared hardware to hardware). Soundcore does not typically push updates for all their devices, so instead they fix performance issues with “upgraded” models. Its how costs stay low and yet improvements are still available. To really be honest, trying to compare airpods and most other earbuds is a waste of time. Unlike most brands Apple does not typically release models often, nor have many at one time. Soundcore releases a half dozen at a shot, then “upgrades” them over time since they are still in demand. It really is 2 different business models (and a huge cost difference when you add in updatable hardware). The other plus side is that if you see “upgraded” you also know it isnt “new-old stock”.

1 Like

At times, there is an upgraded version needed for the same product due to the dependencies on the compatibility with smartphones, example - Apple iPhone did some changes with iPhone 11 series and that needed some changes on the Bluetooth, for which Soundcore shipped upgraded / modified product to customers for whom it did not work.

New products are good to have, at the same time - if a product is doing good, does not make sense to abandon it, just needs to be fixed right.

It’s now all about the camera.:roll_eyes:

These things aren’t cell phones anymore…they’re cameras with cellular capabilities.

My current iPhone 5s is a great phone…with a great camera. I see no need to upgrade yet.

2 Likes

Kinda pointless renaming to a 2, 3 etc when the model design is the same model, just with ‘upgraded’ specs of a few internal elements such as Bluetooth etc for better compatibility…if they do a redesign etc by all means call it a version 2, redux, max etc…IMO

Apple have been using a similar stranger recently on their phones by upgrading a ‘few’ internals and calling it a new device but strangely a number of people skip due to the small changes :wink:

1 Like

Apple is now a Camera company … building better software and camera lenses

1 Like

Hey @Instegone
I agree to a point.
I’ve just researched the Soundcore 2 vs Upgraded version and the difference “seems” to be Bluetooth 4.2 and IPX5 vs Bluetooth 5 and IPX7 - but I did have to open 2 Amazon windows and compare the description side-by-side.

Consumers need to be able to easily identify differences between products. In a previous life we found not being able to reduced consumer confidence.
Personally, I would prefer a manufacturer to list 1st Gen/2nd Gen to make it clearer, especially if the product design remains the same.
I hated when Apple brought out “s” versions of a phone, but at least they shouted about the fact the operating system could be upgraded to ??? and the processor was the next version up and was ??? faster than the previous.

And as for “Upgraded” where do you go from there?
Upgraded 2, Upgraded Plus or dare I say it Upgraded Pro :roll_eyes:

1 Like

You’re right @Shenoy
The “mobile phone” as I know it has become an all encompassing entertainment device.
I love the fact that so many products are wrapped up in one small package.
My first mobile was an NEC P100 which I think I had in 1994. Couldn’t text back then, if I remember correctly couldn’t get much of a signal to make a call either :rofl:
Those were the days :wink:

1 Like

That seems somewhat nonsensical. Like I dont expect apple to give me an iPhone XS to replace my iPhone X

Newer versions from a retail perspective come out for a lot of reasons

1. People tend to view ‘older’ products as inferior, especially in today’s really fast changing market. Unless you’ve got years of cache behind you like the old Bose noise cancelling headphones, its harder to justify keeping an older model .

2. This is even more so from a retailer perspective, who doesn’t want to keep around old stock. Its ironically much easier to convince a vendor to restock your product if its ‘new’ rather than keep selling an older model.

1 Like

As @Macgyver15 mentioned this happens all the time with a lot of brands.

Many of these “upgraded versions” aren’t always upgraded because of a flaw. This is where research comes in. Just because a product says “upgraded” doesn’t mean its better than the non upgraded version. They could have found a better way to do something in the newer product or they added more features. A lot of times if you own the older version, the upgraded version is worth purchasing.

If there was an issue with the product and it can’t be fixed via a firmware update, Anker will pull the product and they will work with current owners if the products need to be removed.

2 Likes

So what is the difference between the Soundcore Neo and the “upgraded” Soundcore Neo? I haven’t done my research but I am curious as the price is sometimes really good!