SoundCore Sport XL (Review)

[quote=“ndalby, post:17, topic:55499, full:true”]
@SZak2015 The original SoundCore has the four ascending note power on noise but the Sport XL, Mini and SoundCore 2 have a single swish sort of power on sound. There’s a few examples of power on in YouTube reviews which demonstrate further until I can get a video up this weekend.[/quote]
@ndalby Thanks for the info. This is my one true beef with my SoundCore :slight_frown:

Yeah. I like an indicator of some sort… but not something quite that loud. I don’t want to have to always mute my speaker just to avoid the noise.

1 Like

The main issue is that you cannot mute it nor adjust the volume in any way since it’s a power-on tone (speaker being powered on from being totally off).

1 Like

Yep… the only way you can stop it from happening is by turning the speaker all the way down before powering off. But that’s tedious.

1 Like

Does that actually work? I’ve never tried it but it seems that the speaker plays the tone regardless of the speaker’s volume setting…having the volume set to a very low setting has no effect on how loudly the power-on tone is played. I’ll have to try myself when I get access to my SoundCore Sport. If it works, it’s at least a work-around, however requiring remembering to drop the volume level to zero before powering it down.

1 Like

Another fantastic in depth review again. Yours make for great reading when I have a bit of down time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Macgyver15 @Daiross Thanks for the kind words :smile:

2 Likes

I dropped this product in the smith river in MT in may 2017. It kept playing underwater. I love it.

8 Likes

Really wish I had one of these. They look pretty nice

Good review… I like that Anker decided to step up their packaging game… The box for this speaker is reminiscent of Sony & Beats headphone packaging that I’ve seen.

If you think the bass is not as good as the soundcore 2, I will probably pass on this purchase unless it goes a drastic price drop.

1 Like

Thanks and I also agree about the packaging (in regards to audio items).

As much as the blue/white is iconic and synonimous with Anker, using the black on this and the NB10 sports seemed to signal a move to highlight/differentiate the ‘premium audio’ items in the Anker range, like what we have now with the Boost (and Pro).

To my ears the bass is not as good as the SoundCore 2 but in the same light you can’t drop the SC2 into water and expect it to survive (spray/splash yes). It really depends on your desired use and budget…

1 Like

I tested this just now and it does not work as you describe.

Turning the volume down on the speaker itself when is is not paired/connected to a device does nothing on the speaker itself.

Turning the volume down on the speaker itself when it is paired/connected to a device turns the volume of the paired device down, as it should.

The power-up tone has nothing at all to do with the speaker’s volume setting nor the paired device’s volume setting…it’s a fixed volume tone tied to the power-up sequence of the speaker itself.

I LOVVVEEEE this picture !! You must have had so much fun that day.

I can‘t’ stand the cold, so I prefer summer time!

2 Likes

great review!!!

looks great!!!

1 Like

Great detailed review @ndalby do you (or anyone else) know if its compatible with Amazon Dot (doesn’t lose bluetooth connection after time with no signal received)? Tempted to get one of these :slight_smile:

1 Like

Never tested to connect a SoundCore to such device.

Thanks. I don’t have a Amazon Dot so can’t say how it would react for certain but it does follow the same behaviour as other Anker speakers in that it will power off after a period of time if no device is connected (around 30 minutes). Connection via aux should prevent this…

1 Like

Very nice review indeed!