Soundcore Life NC aka Journey U (Review)

Please describe the situations you tested noise cancelation, some reviewers place a microphone inside the cam to illustrate on video reviews. I mention as I am looking for exactly this type of product (when it gets $60 which is 50% discount we will patiently expect)

Great review and congrats on being selected for the beta testing. This looks like a great product.

1 Like

I don’t have very sophisticated equipment to do the noise cancellation tests. These are my subjective tests with background noise of TV, Washer and Dryer, Heat Furnace, Talking Wife, etc.
I know some reviewers put a microphone inside of a can (Over ear type). That won’t be practical in in-ear type buds.

Do you own any other NC items to relatively compare? I use Bose Qc35 and these Soundcore are in theory a perfect answer to me if the NC is up there. Just spent hours in a flight with my Bose, what NC does is reduce that inexplicable exhaustion from flying. Also around anyone under the age of 50 block their “music”

I have a Bose QC35 but that is whole other beast. NC is its speciality. There is no comparison.
I also have Space NC and Life 2 and Life NC is similar to them in ANC. But again, being in-ear helps.

Great review. Top ratings for added graphics

Really good review! I am blown away at the fact that you can use these without battery by using the weird ‘airline’ adapter! I’ve had pairs of similar style headphones from other brands and they didn’t do anything once they were dead! Also, the customizable buttons are a big plus. If I am in the market for headphones soon, these are the ones to get!

1 Like

Great in depth review!

I hate to beat a dead horse, but at this price point USB-C should be standard.

1 Like

If only for reversibility of cable and port.

Im starting to understand the micro usb approach I think. Simple systems like this dont need USB-C. Charge and sometimes data lines for upgrade are all thats necessary. Micro usb is cheaper and simpler with less parts.

Great review man really helpful and enjoyable to read especially with the pictures they were so helpful

Which are better soundbuds slim/curve or these… really don’t know tbh and differences

I’ll try to help here. I don’t have slim but I can compare Curve and Life NC. Please see the specs below for Curve vs Life NC. There are certain things that are different. While Life NC has ANC mode (Active Noise Cancellation), Curve has none. Life NC is neckband type while Curve has a wire connecting two buds.
But the most important aspect - Sound!!! This can be very very subjective. I’d point out that Curve is aptX capable while Life NC is not but that doesn’t mean Life NC sound quality is any less. It has 2 mm bigger drivers (12mm vs 10 mm of curve).
Curve is my absolute favorite in terms of pure sound quality. If you require ANC mode then go with Life NC. If price is deciding factor then you cannot beat Curve at all.

2 Likes

Would depend on your intended usage and needs…at home, on the go or in the gym…bass, sound quality etc

All would be good for on the go use but the Slim and Curve are better suited to exercise (the Curve being the best option IMO)…the Curve also has aptX which improves the sound quality for BT overall (depending on the source media)…then there are the prices…

2 Likes

You’re right, it’s cheaper. That’s why it’s still being used, but many people want to get to the future where there is only one port.

It’s not like other manufacturers aren’t using USB-C in their audio products. It’s just that for whatever reason Anker has decided that it’s not a high priority despite promises that their premium devices would include it.

A neckband BT device with half the battery life of the first generation (albeit with amazing additional features not present in the first generation) at three times the price of the first generation should have USB-C. This thing is launching well over $100. I’d call these premium, so where’s the USB-C?

1 Like

Thanks for the differences. and Yeh I might be swayed in going for the curve😌

I guarantee that you won’t be disappointed with the sound quality :slight_smile:

That is nice, but keep in mind that factoring in parts and design (possibly bulk as well due to complexity), figure a 20% price increase would be realistic. Long as people are okay with that its all good.

That is one hell of a nice review @kumar.sachin I have to say I’m impressed. So I have a few questions if you don’t mind…The ANC, is it so good that you can hear literally nothing from the outside? Also, Transparent mode seems cool, but I’m assuming you don’t have the luxury of making only one earbud go into that mode? That is going to be extremely helpful while I am driving tho. And it not supporting aptX…is that a problem or downfall at all?

1 Like

Appreciate your nice words :slight_smile:
ANC is good but don’t compare it with Bose QC35. With ANC ON, if you play something you cannot hear outside noises (if nothing is playing then you will hear outside sounds). A little bit of music will literally put out all outside sounds.
Transparency mode works on both earbuds (cannot make one bud into that mode).
Although it doesn’t support AptX but it does have a stellar sound quality. One reason is big drivers. Please note that this has 12 mm drivers and that is huge for earbuds. If I recall correctly, I have only seen possibly 2 other earbuds with 12mm or bigger drivers. They produce sound with ample bass response and large soundstage.
A tiny driver even with AptX cannot match the sound quality of a significantly large driver.
Hope this helps… Enjoy you new earphone

1 Like