Something Isn't Right

Ok, so this really doesn’t have anything to do with Anker, but I was alarmed when I was playing with my phone (released over 5 years ago) and realized that the display was separating from the glass. I don’t usually use this phone (maybe once a month or so), but hadn’t noticed this until today, as it’s always in a case. (Do you use a case on your phone?)

From what I’ve read, it sounds like it has something to do with the battery. Apparently it’s not uncommon for this to happen after several years. I’m no battery expert. Does anyone here know if this is common / what may have caused it? I’m thinking the battery has reached its maximum number of charge cycles.

Also, should I be worried? Is there a chance of explosion?! What do I do? Have
you experienced something like this?

1 Like
3 Likes

I would not leave it in my house with a chance that it is a swollen battery. I have had a lithium battery catch fire on me once and it was amazing how much fire it produced. It was a Lithium polymer so it may not be exactly the same results . At the very least put it in a LiPo storage bag which can be found at your local hobby shop (cheap). I store my LiPo batteries in an ammo case. Usually the battery needs to be punctured but who really knows for sure. Be safe my friend!!

Locked in a safe, still in house.

1 Like

I’ve actually heard of this happening. Definitely stop using it and perhaps take it in to Apple to get the battery replaced.

Unless its stored in Lipo bag its will ignite everything in that safe and that defeats the purpose of a safe. :joy:

at work i had an iphone5s do that and also a dell ultrabook battery. Apple exchanged it no questions asked even though it was a few years old. Dell on other hand won’t because it is past its 1 year battery warranty. As much money as we spend with Dell at work I was surprised

THe battery probably expanded throughout the years from heat. That is my guess.

How did you BARELY notice that? It may have sat too close to a Samsung Curved Tv and wanted in on that action and puffed its chest but couldn’t retract… :joy:

Wow!! Never seen a phone go like that before. I’ve usally sold mine on straight after my contract ends and I’ve got a new phone.

I’ve been rocking this case for almost a year now.

iPhone 7 Plus Case, Anker ToughShell AirShock Protective Clear Case for iPhone 7 Plus https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K4J7OGO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_a91Lzb4K4MB1E

2 Likes

I have not had this happen to anything under my control, but I just searched and this advice is to stop using the phone, definately do not recharge it.

Discard it following the applicable laws of your state.

http://www.call2recycle.org/recycling-laws-by-state/

1 Like

Its funny that people intentionally try to get cells to produce a lot of fire and an explosion but nothing happens and those who take precaution, it bursts into flames.

1 Like

With LiPo batteries all you have to do is puncture them when fully charged and they will likely catch fire. Check out this hobby stores safety sheet, everyone that sells these should provide this info IMO. I order my lipo batteries from Hong kong and they are sent by plane in a bubble pack but they are sent under storage charge which is about 3.7 volts per cell or half charge. fully charged Lipo would be about 4.2 volts per cell and discharged would be at a minimum of 3 volts per cell. storage at full or discharged is considered unsafe and damaging to the batteries. Click for Lithium polymer etiquette :sunglasses:

1 Like

I would get that phone out of my life asap

4 Likes