Samsung is working on 1TB storage chips

5 Likes

We store a lot, but we will never take a look at what we have stored.

It reminds me of the squirrels in my garden.
They store a lot, but they forget where and why. :wink:

3 Likes

I disagree. I take a lot of pictures and I look at them often. Maybe others are different though?.?.?.

1 Like

I’d love a 1TB card- so much easier than lugging around hdds.

Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Very good ! Saves storage space in the cloud …

It would also save a ton of energy when you factor in all the phones that are accessing storage servers instead of directly going to the storage on the phone.

With the Advent of 4K videos and higher megapixel pictures files are progressively getting larger and larger.

1 Like

This reminds me when storing movies from TV on VHS cassettes many years ago.
A pile of those. But never watched.

Better now, not so much useless plastic.

1 Like

A big push in recent years has been for more space to be allocated to devices. Long gone are the days where 16gb is usable without having to delete things on a regular basis. Part of the reason is photo/video quality making its way into newer phones. I have an S9+ and taking a video in UHD 60fps (3840x2160) for 1 minute eats up close 500mb. Top that with 12MP photos, and it can go through storage super quick. One way to alleviate it (especially for iPhone users who cannot use expandable memory) has been to use something like Google Photos to store the photos/videos and then deleting it off the device. Not to mention storing movies and tv shows on the device, and now you are down to pretty much nothing to the point that apps can’t even update.

One major thing that this is tailoring towards is Android Pie (9) using Adoptable Storage. You used to have to either use a 3rd party app to move something to the SD card, or having to have the developer indicate support through the android:installLocation attribute. So expanding it to such a large amount of available space will be good in the long run in my opinion.

2 Likes

Great, another reason to love Samsung! I just hope they don’t take away the SD card slot. Hopefully Samsung will find a way to have both on board

2 Likes

I hope they don’t take away the sad card slot either I love it so much. Go Samsung!

1 Like

I don’t see Samsung removing the SD card slot anytime soon. They actually care about what their customers want unlike some companies. cough cough​:apple::joy:

1 Like

So, if Samsung will develop it, Apple will put it in their new phones and call it THEIR innovation, and add another $500 to their phones for the luxury of having it :wink:

But… really, 1TB in a phone would be amazing, especially since they are using higher resolution camera sensors for video and images. I’m still stuck at 64 GB on an older Motorola Nexus 6 at the moment. Been eyeballing a OnePlus 6T for a while now.

This is the reason why I use GIMP to compress the photos when using RAW format. Otherwise you can not handle those.

iPhones are made of mostly Samsung parts anyway