Roav Smartcharge F0 (Performance Review)

I won this Roav Smartcharge F0 on Power Draw. I’ll not do the unboxing, specs part of review since there are plenty already. I’ll go straight to the performance review of this…

Fit and Fit
I have 2010 Camry where there are 2x12V DC output ports. One is inside center console (underneath the radio) “see pic 1 below”. In this location there is also an aux input jack. For F0, I didn’t find this to be an ideal location because it is not easily accessible while driving. I have a Roav Smartcharge Spectrum plugged there :grin:
The other DC port is next to driver seat, below shift lever “see 2nd picture below”. This jack is in a box kind separation.
F0 fits fine in horizontal orientation as well but the aux output becomes inaccessible. I have to use it while rotating 90 degrees counterclockwise so that I can use the aux port for better connection.

Connectivity Performance
Connectivity is very easy and straightforward. Plug F0, turn on your car, then go to your phone bluetooth and connect F0…DONE.
You can change the FM freq by long pressing phone button and then go up or down. Aux port can be used for direct wired connection (instead of FM). So no problems connecting.

Problems
Now the problems. F0 have a very different sound signature on FM at various frequencies. When I’m using lower frequencies (87-100 MHz), sound over FM is tinny (no bass, no treble, very flat). Aux connected sound is awesome.
When I go to over 100 MHz (I used 107.1) and sound improved dramatically over FM (very rich in bass, great treble and very enjoyable). Aux connection sound went tinny (low bass, poor performance, etc. This is very puzzling…
Major issue was that at 107.1 MHz it was interfering with my car’s TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring sensor) and I immediately got low tire pressure warning.
Since another user also mentioned something similar I immediately changed the FM to lower freq and TPMS issue went away.
I’d suggest Anker to take a look into these issues.
I’d love to have an option to turn off FM transmission and just use aux out.

5 Likes

Great review!!

Very good review indeed! Love the retro 30 pin connector you got there, I haven’t seen one of them in ages

Thanks for nice words. Yes I still use an iPod 5.5 gen (highly modded) with 6 gen aluminum faceplate and 64gb sd card :grin:

1 Like

Good review & usage pics @kumar.sachin :thumbsup: