Roav Dash Cam C1 Pro image quality

Good grief!

First, do you really think that future purchasers know to look at this forum?

Second, the one comparison was a GoPro Hero 5 vs. the C1 Pro . . . A $250 camera vs. a $90 camera. Do you really think that’s a fair comparison? Now, if they compared the C1 Pro vs. the Garmin 35 (close to the same price point) wouldn’t that be more fair?

If you don’t like the darn thing, return it! Otherwise, lighten up and enjoy what it does.

IMVHO.

1 Like

No, the comparison was between roav and reality. This device is capable to do better, it has only been shot in the foot by coding this horrible image processing.

Speculation of things that lead to current situation:

1. Early reviewers had said that roav c1 (starting from non-pro) had a slightly softer image than some competitors. (video with c1 pro fw 1.6, which looks just fine for the price)

2. Marketing department shitted themselves --> ordered coders to fix it --> they knew the “problem” is in hardware (probably in optics), complained that fixing almost non existing problem is impossible --> got yelled about it --> put a very unreal digital sharpening to firmware.

3. Marketing department got “sharp image” and could tell reviewers and readers of those early reviews that it is now taken care of. And you can see the results in that another video. And throw up, if not staring directly to nearest licence plate.

And yes, I do check product forums before i order stuff. Where else do you think i can find information about these problems? In this case, only thing i found out was marketing wank about “its been fixed”, but did not realize that it was way worse.

Youtube has proof that this device can do what i wanted it to do. I did use couple of hours to install mine so that cabling and dc-dc converter are totally hidden. I’m not going to send it back now, not without a fight for a better device for every customer.

Again, its an easy fix. Just let users choose if they want that over sharpened mess.

I noted the over-sharpening in another thread here regarding the file formats (“Dashcam C1 Pro only saves the last segment of each drive”), which I still see with the V2.2 firmware, and on my other C1 (non-Pro) dashcams. I’ve tried taming it post-production without much luck. Overall I’m happy with these dashcams, but wish there was an option to tweak the sharpness setting to get rid of the halos.

Wait what? fw 2.2? Really, on a C1 pro? We need public change logs for these devices. Those logs should have a bit more information than “software improvements” for every line. That would be customer service in a way i like it.

Now, if there is newer firmware available (mine is still at 1.8), would that android app give me notification about it from background? Or when i start the app? Or when i check app --> settings --> device update? That last one, only when connected to the camera?

I have firmware 2.0 in my C1 Pro. f/w 2.2, the app can’t find that one. mkpl, is it a typo or how did you get the f/w 2.2?

+1 on the availability of change log.

Br
Fredrik
Sweden

I just connected it to the WiFi on my iPhone and it told me there was an update available, version 2.2

19.5.2018, C1 Pro:

App --> About --> “Ver 3.0.1”. Seems to be android app version, same number can be found on google play.

App --> Device update --> “Current Ver 1.8”. Actual device firmware. Updates not found, with or without connection to the device.

Why do we have multiple different versions out there? Does someone with newer (or older) version have anything interesting to say about picture quality? I tried to check how the live view on the tiny screen of the device looks like and it seems to be “raw”, or it is just that low resolution, that it wont show what that cartoon filter produces.

My C1 Pro is on Version 2.2, Same App Version Like you.

A new 2.3 version is out, noted changes are the usual two: improved image quality and bug fixes. I tried to load it 3 times, but it didn’t take, it still shows I have 2.2 installed.

App got updated to 4.0.0 but fw still at 1.8

I have tried with multiple phones and with fake gps around the world…

They must have pulled back the 2.3 version, maybe due to the load issue I was seeing.

Maybe the hardware rev affects the firmware available? I have HW:RoavC1Pro_HW_V1.1

If someone wants to update the dashcam manually, contact the roav Support via support@goroav.com
They can give you an instruction and the File.

1 Like

Interesting, I got my C1 Pro replaced, and now it is at 1.8 and says no update available. What gives? It is at the same HW level as the other one.

Hi @mkpl, just contact the roav support, they will help you :wink:

1 Like

Thanks. I contacted them and updated to 2.2 successfully. Wonder what happened to 2.3?

1 Like

Is there any user detectable difference between 1.8 and 2.2? mkpl said earlier that over sharpening is still there at 2.2. So, what has changed?

V2.3 is online.

I signed up just to also register my dissatisfaction with image quality.

I’ve been a happy C1 owner for some time, but wanted to upgrade to the Pro for both the GPS and the improved image quality. What a step backward. Someone here used the phrase over-sharpened mess and that description is right on target, even after applying a firmware update yesterday. I’m pretty close to boxing it back up and requesting a refund.

Strange. I got version 2.4 now, with basically same “changle log” as pauldeys screenshot above.

“1. Better image quality 2. Bug fix”

I’ll update my camera tomorrow morning and if i got enough time, i’ll check what the picture looks like this time.

And now i got answer to one of my earlier questions, i just started roav-app far away from my camera and update notifier was first thing i saw.

1 Like

And here is the difference between fw 1.8 and 2.4

It is much more natural with 2.4. Did not touch the camera at all, screenshots are from videos stamped ~2 minutes apart, only fw update between them.

GIF is quite bad format for this, beside the ability to animate. That gradient on the sky is not visible on the original video, but that is not the point of this demonstration.