Review: PowerCore II Slim 10000mAh

I have received this Anker PowerCore II Slim 10000mAh as part of the Power User programme.

It came in the icon blue and white Anker packaging, nice and compact not much waste. Inside the box is the welcome guide, carrying pouch, Micro USB cable and of the PowerCore II Slim 10000mAh.

As soon as I got it out of the box I was very impressed with the build quality and how small it was I like that is has the matte plastic on one side and the other side has it has a soft rubber. Really like the idea of the soft rubber as this is small enough to fit in your pocket with your phone you aren’t worried about your phone damaging.

The closest charger I have to compare this to is the Powercore+ 13400. The PowerCore II Slim 10000mAh feels a lot nicer in the hand and is a lot lighter. I can get over how thin the PowerCore II Slim is.

I use this mainly with my S8. There isn’t much of a size difference between them at all, if you have them in your jeans/trouser pocket you can hardly tell both of them are there. I wish because they are so similar in size and feel so comfortable together that wireless charging could have been added. I don’t know if it would even be possible but because my S8 supports wireless charging it would have been one less cable in my pocket before having to recharge the PowerCore II Slim

The charging time is really quick with the PowerIQ, charges just as fast as the wall charger that comes with the device

I would definitely recommend this product to anyone commuting or travelling. It’s tiny and has enough juice for 2/3 charges

2 Likes

I think the charging rate is wrong, the powerbank support QC and your device also support QC 2.0. So your device should be charging at the rate of 9V 2A ~18W (the part about it as fast as the original charger is right though, as samsung supply qc 2.0 wall charger)

2 Likes

I agree Ampere it’s not very accurate. Better to base on charge time from dead unless you have USB multimeter to demonstrate actual amp draw. Otherwise very nice & informative review​:+1::+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

I love the new silicone finish, I hope this becomes standard

2 Likes

Good example here of how you cannot use “10000mAh” as your yardstick.

You cannot use Ampere neither.

Observe the lables, the 10000mAh is 38.5Wh, the 13500 is 48.2Wh

Divide Wh by Ah and you get V(Volts) so the Volt of the 10000mAh is 3.85V but the Volt of the 13400 is 3.6V, so an “A” in one is 7% more energetic “A” than the other. Hence why mAh is a nonsense number, or only approximates to actual energy, as the Voltage of the cells is not wildly different.

Inside the phone therefore you have the affect that the phone is stating Amps which is nonsense number also itself because you don’t know necessarily the Volt the phone is stepping the Watts. So an Amp is not an Amp is not an Amp.

The phone also, particularly if using QuickCharge has to work within a thermal throttle, the use of the CPU, GPU (by pressing the screen and looking at Ampere app) causes heat and the phone then responds by recharging itself slower to not heat up the battery any more than is safe. So the act of looking modifies what you see, invalidating any conclusions.

Hence Amp is not Amp is not Amp is not Ampere.

So then, how do you know anything? Well if you have other effects, like the cells deteriorate over time (Anker and your phone) and there is a roughly 5% variation by cell in manufacturing process, and you get loses which are specific to the efficiency of the phone and the socket of the phone. So the electronics are having to recalibrate. Every now and then the phone will get fully discharged, then the phone counts the Ah coming in and then estimates its % battery relative to full. This is why sometimes a phone which will turn itself off (as its calibration is off) when a cell has a lower voltage than a given % is meant to representative.

2 Likes