Real Life Experience With Magnetic Car Mount

I’ve been using the Anker CD Slot phone mount for almost a year now. Because of its size and the Otterbox Defender case size the clamps do not hold well. I spend a lot of time on rural roads. They roads are not the greatest roads. Many of them are gravel or dirt roads. Because of this, my cellphone falls out of the mount and sometimes the mount comes loose from the slot.

I was looking at getting one of the Magnetic Car Mount systems from Anker. Has anyone used one and how well does it hold your large 5.5 phone in place on bumpy roads?

I have a Motorola Moto X Pure edition which is a rather large and heavy phone. I used mine no problem for a few months until I lost the metal backing plate, which I don’t recommend losing haha. But I loved it and will continue to use mine once I get another backing plate

1 Like

I just replaced my Scosche magnetic mount with an Anker
one about a week ago and I have been very happy. the reason I replaced the Scosche is my brand new Galaxy S8 fell off and landed by my feet when I hit some rough bumps. I had been using the same magnetic mount for years but that was with a thinner phone case. My Galaxy has this case
and so far with the Anker it has been amazing. I even hit the same bumps and have the same plate in between the phone and case as before. It seems to have about 50 % more strength than the Scosche and the mounting pad is smaller so you can place almost anywhere.

Not sure how thick the otter is though so you may have to mount the plate on the outside of the case. It is easy to test it out though without using the sticky tape, just place it between the case and phone. Where I live we have 4 distinct seasons and when the frost heaves hit the roads can become brutally rough. p.s I am driving a truck so no smooth ride ever.

4 Likes

I have had my Anker magnetic mount for about a year now and use it on normal roads but we’ve got plenty of potholes dotted around the town :see_no_evil:. My iPhone 7plus has never fallen off :+1:t2:

1 Like

^ this. I drive a Superduty F250 and have 2 iphone 7 plus’s (1 work 1 personal). I have 2 anker mag mounts, phones have never fallen off. I hate otterbox cases though so i use standard slim protective cases (i have karapax’s on now)

2 Likes

I have the same one and it serves me good!

Any of the Anker magnetic mounts are good to go, I have had no problems.

Thanks for the detailed information. The mount you posted is the one I’m interested in.

1 Like

Wish i had one of these for my car

1 Like

Magnetic car mounts are more convenient than the vice type mounts.

Keep in mind that if you like to regularly use wireless charging , it might be affected by the metal plate you’ll need to use for the mount

I agree. Only problem I see with Magnetic Holders is that you need that extra plate to attach to your phone. A deal breaker if you like you phone naked sans any case/covers.

The metal plates are very non intrusive so it does not get in the way if you were to attach one to the back of your phone sans any case.